Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

About the latest chapter...

bokugirl boku girl

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Bokuboy

Bokuboy

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 260 posts

I got a chance to look at issue 74 after it was released... and was surprised at the 'mistakes'.

The typesetting is off in places, words seem to be broken inappropriately to fit the bubbles, different sized and style fonts are used, some phrases aren't quite correct, some sound effects are left in and untranslated, and even a word was left out (pg 17 - Loki should say something like, 'We weren't able to find any hints about changing you back after all.' and instead it says, 'In the end, we couldn't find even a hint of how to turn back' - there should at least be a 'you' in there, I think.)

Ha ha, I know... it's hard to believe I'm being so picky... but I've had over 2 months of practical experience now, and I'm pretty sure their quality checkers fumbled the ball on this one.

But, that's just my opinion.

You know what they say about opinions, though... they're just like asses. Everyone has one and thinks it doesn't stink. LOL

*\(シ)/*

Russet potatoes are the most delicious!

Gino

Gino

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

What makes me more upset is that chapter 74 went out in japan like 8 months ago, raw scans are like in chpt 105 now.

Bokuboy

Bokuboy

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 260 posts

Well, it's done by fans in their spare time, so there's not really much anyone can do about it.

I, on the other hand, did some digging and found the raws and the translations up to 95.

I've actually gotten quite good at cleaning, redrawing, and typesetting.

The bad part is, I now have to wait even longer for the official releases to get to where they could be.

If they get to a schedule of one a week (which I doubt - more like 2 to 3 weeks), you'll only have to wait another 6 to 16 months. :D

*\(シ)/*

Bokuboy

Bokuboy

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 260 posts
I'm not sure if I should complain about the lack of cleaning in the latest official issue 76 or not.

I don't want to discourage the work, especially since I know how hard it can be... but it's lack of both sfx translations and no removal of the original sfx seems like quite the drop in quality.

Before you flame me or complain about my complaint; yes, I submitted an application to them months ago. I don't use the same programs they do, though... so it's not a viable option for them to let me join.

It seems like all they did was add the English text. Before I hurt my shoulder, I was doing the issues for myself (I'd done them ages ago by just adding the text but went back and started doing them properly - cleaning and redrawing). I'd finish one, then the official one would come out, and I'd compare the two. I had to prove to myself that I could do it. The raws I had, the originals weren't that good, but I did my best with them. Sorry if the quality is a little lacking, but the pics would have been over a megabyte each if I didn't crush them a bit. This is just to show a comparison between my efforts and those of the official release. You can clearly see a difference.

As you can see, they left almost everything in... as well as the original page numbers. Is it time constraints that are the excuse I wonder?
Oh, and they made their pages smaller, too. I'm not sure why.

I'm putting them in spoiler tags, in case anyone hasn't read the new issue yet (76).

Spoiler

*\(シ)/*

dickmissiles

dickmissiles

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
Honestly, I prefer the original Japanese onomatopoeia, because I feel like their hand-drawn shapes have more "character" than the English. I guess my ultimate dream for sound effects would be to have a tiny English translation either within or very close to the original graphics, so people can get the gist of the sound effect both from the shape of the text and the meaning of it.

Nami

Nami

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationHouston

What makes me more upset is that chapter 74 went out in japan like 8 months ago, raw scans are like in chpt 105 now.

Start learning Japanese.