Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Random thoughts/SHOUT SOMETHING RANDOM!!!

• Please log in to reply
535889 replies to this topic

Argomundo

Argomundo

Kraftwerk Potato

• Donator
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationGermany

Eyy congrats on logging in

As for me, Ive been binging videos from Not just bikes

and god damn ive underestimated how bad North american cities are

everyone living there has my pity

I invite everyone reading this to the Batoto discord https://discord.gg/PxAqQGy 

Spoiler

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

posting because i managed to log in lol

*hugs*

Congratulations on logging in successfully :'3

As for me, Ive been binging videos from Not just bikes
and god damn ive underestimated how bad North american cities are
everyone living there has my pity

As someone who lives in one, they're not all that bad (aside from the present situation of being quite needlessly full of deadly plague, of course :'p )—but a lot of the transport infrastructure is indeed horrible because it was predicated on the idea that everyone should just drive everywhere. Not bike friendly; only somewhat walk-friendly; public transport in most cities is a travesty.

Edited by pokari, 06 September 2021 - 04:06 AM.

You

You

Savage Potato

• Members
  • 3,262 posts
Absolute travesty

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_9e1zrqkbvu8s

Argomundo

Argomundo

Kraftwerk Potato

• Donator
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationGermany

Cant we just like demolish all the roads and build trams and more buildings instead

Edited by Argomundo, 19 September 2021 - 06:26 AM.

Spoiler

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

no coz we muricans like to drive our cars #freedom

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

Cant we just like demolish all the roads and build trams and more buildings instead

I mean it's a little more complicated than just replacing all the roads with trains.

First thing, even a super train-centric locale (say, Tokyo) has small roads everywhere—and they're sort of essential. Not just for getting people around when the trains aren't running (which they don't, late at night, for noise reasons), but also for logistics—getting produce to the local grocery store and whatnot is still done in vans and trucks (or from whence would come truck-kun to send us to our isekais? :'p).

Building a train freight-line to everyone's doorstep, notably, would defeat one of the main purposes/advantages of trains (aggregation). Aside from being prohibitively expensive to realise in the first place.

Second thing, from my time there, Tokyo is dependent on it being feasible to walk from at least the destination side of the station to where you want to go (biking to the train station from your house is possible, because they have bike parking lots, but you can't take bikes on the train; they're at least generally not allowed—because there isn't room, I think, when everyone is using the train).

That involves a city layout where the major destinations you want to go are all near train stations. Which involves ripping up and replacing a lot more than just roads. This is probably the biggest problem we have in doing conversions for some cities (especially later ones that were designed from the ground up with cars in mind).

Also on the residential side you need stores for everyday stuff within reasonably short walking distance, because you don't have a car and that means you can't bring home a truckload of groceries which means you're going to the grocery store at least every few days which means if it's not close it sucks. Our cities, suburbs especially, are not laid out like that right now (though of the things on this list this one is the easiest to fix without fixing other things first, mostly just need to change zoning a bit and whatnot).

Argomundo

Argomundo

Kraftwerk Potato

• Donator
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationGermany

See the great thing about trams is, theyre ususally build on and through roads.

So trucks can still drive there but theyd have to yield to trams.

And if you had a tram line like every 2nd block there would be minimal walking required.

Also obvuiously none of this is gonna happen with suburb zoning being the stupid thing it is

Spoiler

Rainingforest

Rainingforest

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNorth America
Been a while wow. Yeah, in Boston we got some nice public transport. Def could come more frequently in some places, but profitability.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

did u move to boston bro? 

Rainingforest

Rainingforest

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNorth America

That I did. Exciting place. I'm a real white collar worker now.

Argomundo

Argomundo

Kraftwerk Potato

• Donator
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationGermany

real or fake boston?

Spoiler

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
What is fake Boston? Playing Fallout 4 VR? ~w~

Argomundo

Argomundo

Kraftwerk Potato

• Donator
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationGermany

Fake Boston is Boston Massachusets

Spoiler

Argomundo

Argomundo

Kraftwerk Potato

• Donator
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationGermany

Still alive, how about everyone else?

Spoiler

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

was i ever alive

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Not dead yet.

Have jury duty tomorrow, so ask me again in 24 hours.

was i ever alive

Yush. *hugs*

Or at worst, amicably undead.

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Ugh.

Sitting in a court-room with a bunch of other people is horrible. And I have to go back Thursday morning ._.

Argomundo

Argomundo

Kraftwerk Potato

• Donator
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationGermany

Sounds like a thing. I dont even know if we have something like jury duty here

Spoiler

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

dont u have court cases? its just the judge who decides everything ig

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Juries as we know them are pretty much a common-law thing—that is, based off of British legal practices—and so aren't as common outside of English speaking countries and/or Britain's old colonies (though of course plenty of countries formerly under British control didn't ultimately choose to keep them after independence, etc.)