Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Random thoughts/SHOUT SOMETHING RANDOM!!!

• Please log in to reply
535889 replies to this topic

DarkPrince

DarkPrince

Cute Potato

• Members
  • 4,800 posts
  • Location「Between Brackets」

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJkQzZOdOsI

I T ' S   O N L Y   F U N   I F   T H E Y   R U N

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

I sometimes wonder if hiring a hit man is a solution to human problems. The eternal standoff between renters and landlords for example.

My vague impression is that hiring a hitman, at least in our society, is often as not something that goes horribly wrong.

Probably works better outside of surveillance states, places where subpoenaing internet records isn't trivial. Not sure though. Not are of expertise.

Sounds like far too exciting a renting experience for my taste, anyway. Would probably stick to buying. Then my only mortal enemies would be the neighborhood association, and I assume they wouldn't last very long under the exigent circumstances.

I mean, I can brute force it, (hacking the AP points w/ cheatengine to give my tank unlimited turns) to advance the plot (or what semblance of a plot- more like band of brothers with background romance for your choice between the two female leads).

So old fashioned, why do I only get two girls to choose from, can't I pick one of the guys? *mumbles something indistinct about the patriarchy*

You'd think after killing a bunch of people together, sleeping together would be a little thing—woah, okay, I've definitely stayed up too late. Insufficient filtering of brain-vomiting-words. Was about to make debased pun about "comrades-in-arms". Must sleep.

In other news, save-state skimming is your friend. Except then you forget how to play the game normally. It's a back-stabby sort of friend. Call it Brutus.

...er, right, sleep. Um, good night. :x

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

:o comrades in arms so brilliant! fujoshis were onto something when they ship naru-sasu

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
What, you mean because Sasuke's final form had so darn many arms? ~w~

Honestly, as best I can recall, the people in my immediate vicinity were more sasuke/orochimaru shippers ( ! still ew XD) and to a lesser extent Gaara/Naruto shippers, I dunno if I had a single "vanilla" gay-shipper (nor straight-shipper, for that matter) for the series around me at that point in time.

Though, back then, I pretty much religiously ignored people's shipping as much as possible; I felt such things got in the way of appreciating the work and the author's intent. I'm certainly a little more lax about such things now—I'm willing to appreciate subtext as it appears (be it intentional or not), and I might sometimes wish for characters A and B to get together despite that obviously not being the drift of the story—but I still won't read fan-fics or non-satirical doujinshi stuff.

...Not just because most of them are terribly written, I mean.

(My sisters maintain that by following recommendations and selectively reading authors who are good writers, it is possible to maintain a noticeably higher reading quality in fan-fiction than you get pulling random books off the bookshelves in a bookstore. From me this is just hearsay, however.)

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

omg love advice from the great duke of hell - did not see that one coming 

literally sideswiped by a truck

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Today is a day when I was woken up at 4 A.M. by the power going out.

It just had to be on a day where I was making a disk image backup overnight, too :'/

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

i hope your hard drive is ok

btw how do you get outages in your neck of the woods during winter???

fall i should say

summer with everyone turning on their AC I can understand

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Cause was a complete mystery. It happened twice in the middle of the night that night. Hard drive (my sister's, actually) was fine, and the day after I posted that, I got her moved to the SSD I'd gotten her for her birthday (which was the impetus for this whole exercise).

Though one possibility on the power-out: Today we had a scheduled outage for local maintenance; it's vaguely within the realm of possibility that that was much-needed maintenance instead of routine scheduled maintenance. Though my first inclination is to believe that that's a coincidence.

TBH though power outages in this particular suburb come more often in the winter—during storms, from downed lines and the like—than they do in the summer from capacity problems. A calm autumn's night, though, again, is a mystery. (A brownout of a few seconds would have meant some poor rat or squirrel had met a sudden and unexpected evolutionary dead-end chewing on a wire, but this wasn't that either.)

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

i shoved some swimming wax up right to my ear drum - went to kaiser urgent care this morning. Doc got half of it out and gave me some ear meds. Guess i won't be swimming for a while

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Eep! I hope it wasn't too painful o_o

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

it was / still is - now i have this constant ringing in my left ear 

well hopefully it goes away in a couple of days

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
That sounds horrible o_o

*hugs*

I hope it gets better without incident.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

i made it worse than trying to fish it out with my pinky - so it got packed right up against my eardrum

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
...Where's that person from the anime romance trope with the ear-pick when you need them XD

Edited by pokari, 07 October 2019 - 08:05 PM.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

so i went into kaiser this morning and got it sucked out

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
*sluuuurp*

That would sound kind of fun if it didn't sound so painful ~w~

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Kind of wild how much of a drama queen the utility company is being, saying without much further specification it could shut off power to as much as millions of people tomorrow.

Guess they don't give a fuck and/or want to lay on thick the narrative that they just can't afford to do anything and "need help" during bankruptcy proceedings (to which I wish we would say—"yeah, sure but you don't get to be a for-profit company anymore," but of course that's not going to happen)

I mean I could chalk it up to them suddenly having learned the error of their ways and being responsible about fire safety, but that would seem drastically out of character.

Edited by pokari, 09 October 2019 - 07:42 AM.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

they are too big to fail so you really can't do much - unless you want to *gasp* do what they did to ATT and carve them up

what gets me is that they used some of the safety funds to pay out the bonus packages of the CEOs - and nobody went to jail. Imagine that.

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
I mean, they are failing. Repeatedly. Inevitably. They're just too big to let them die.

I know it's not going to happen, but I want these bailout measures to be deals that come with some relinquishing of control. My first thought was that they should have to cease to be for-profit, but I suspect that's basically impossible to bring to practice.

I don't know how much breaking them up does or doesn't help; maybe it would injure their collective lobbying power, but they'd still just be a bunch of little government-sanctioned for-profit monopolies.

But after thinking about this a decent bit the past couple days, what I really want... If I recall correctly, right now any local government wanting to be beholden to anyone other than PG&E, has to "buy out" and pay them a hefty sum for "their" infrastructure (not everyone uses PG&E; the city of Santa Clara uses them only for gas, because they had their own power authority since way back and own all their infrastructure).

Just say, when handing over the bailout money, "By the way, with this money you can assume we have a lien against all your infrastructure. Whenever a local government wants out, you hand them the keys and leave." Dunno how it stacks up legally, but that would honestly solve a whole host of problems.

Edited by pokari, 09 October 2019 - 06:19 PM.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

Great insight. Release of lien as part of the bailout condition. Better than wall street bailout