Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Fake Batoto site warning!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
103 replies to this topic

arimareiji

arimareiji

Fingerling Potato

• Donator
  • 61 posts

Oh crap... how do I know if I've already logged in one of those fake sites?? When I'm not using my PC I usually google batoto and click on the first result... There's a high chance that I've already made a mess because I didn't pay attention. Damn.

Thanks for the warning!

If you aren't sure, you have to act as though you did. Once you've scanned for malware, particularly keyloggers, change your password immediately along with changing your password at any site (or on your computer) where you've used the same user name / password combination. If any of those sites have your debit/credit card information stored (don't just assume they don't because it would be illogical - many keep it because reasons, including Crunchyroll)... at the very least, check your charges frequently for a few days after the password is changed so that you can quickly dispute charges you didn't make.

Edited by arimareiji, 21 December 2015 - 06:12 PM.

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

Equine non grata

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • LocationSan Escobar

Was just wondering, how did you guys find out/how did you get linked to these sites or find them?

they tend show on top of google search results when you search for "anything + batoto"

Oh crap... how do I know if I've already logged in one of those fake sites?? When I'm not using my PC I usually google batoto and click on the first result... There's a high chance that I've already made a mess because I didn't pay attention. Damn.

It's easy to notice you're elsewhere if you use "keep me logged in" option and additionally use non-default site theme. IIRC one of these sites adds some pinned ad or toolbar or something on the top of the viewed page so it's a giveaway too. And you should probably pay attention to what address you have in the address bar.
If you're perma-logged in and don't delete cookies, then if you've jumped from google to batoto, noticed you're logged off for some reason and decided to log in, there's a high chance that it was one of these sites.
You can probably check your browsing history (if you don't clear it regularly) for possible traces of these websites.
But, as suggested, if you were logging in a lot recently after getting to batoto from google, it's best to change your password.

Mod-in-Disguise

FlQCNQa.gif

You <3

Whoever decided to delete this was an idiot.

| Handwritten kanji recognition || KanjiTomo || Kanji converter || J<->E Dictionary |

thejadmaster

thejadmaster

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

I've been getting notices from various users about fake Batoto sites that's out there.

It looks exactly like us (pretty sure direct copy of everything), but with their own ads.

DO NOT LOGIN UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE on the fake site. They're stealing your id/passwords. If you end up on that site for any reason, LEAVE IMMEDIATELY.

If you ever logged in to one of those sites before, change your password on EVERY SITE that uses the same password, not just here.

Our domain is bato.to. Anything else is fake.

Hey, I just wanted to recommend that you report this early on Google and whatever other search engines might be applicable. The longer these sites are out there uncontested, the more likely they might creep up the rankings when "batoto" is searched for. After all, their site map and information is identical, aside from the domain name.

Also, action can be taken by big players against phishing scams like this one appears to be.

Here is a link to the information on reporting to Google: https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/spamreport

crownclown

crownclown

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Locationmale

DAMN BASTARDS WANNA BE COOL LIKE BATOTO!!

tumblr_n7u44h9O2Z1sul18io1_500.gif

Subbed

Subbed

Ascending Cat

• General Mods
  • 256 posts
To any skeptical users: change your password to be certain that your account won't be hijacked, and (for the time being) bookmark bato.to as well as access it only from that direct bookmark.

Such access will pretty much eliminate the possibility of landing on a fake website, unless you happen to access it via an external link. In that case, take caution.

Inys

Inys

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 351 posts

So, why is it that batoto itself doesn't appear when I search for a manga, but the scam site does? Google kinda helps them in that way. Is there something that can be done?

can you post as screenshot? I searched for the popular manga and I only got bato.to

mewjael11

mewjael11

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Locationeh? It's a bit chilly...

The fake batoto site is so realistic its scary D:

0a8377fd7a9c9e52b32bca577cb25af6.gifgiphy.gif

YqpvWjRSHw

YqpvWjRSHw

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationPRNG userland

Simplest way to tell: Bato.to has a certificate with Comodo. Any other sites CAN have a Comodo cert and the green bar, but will NOT read "https://vatoto.com"

In fact, if you still have "batoto.net" in your history/bookmarks, use that. It's a 301 redirect to "https://vatoto.com"

Nekomikoto

Nekomikoto

Fingerling Potato

• Contributor
  • 64 posts

can you post as screenshot? I searched for the popular manga and I only got bato.to

Not a popular manga, but this is how I initially found it:

Spoiler

Inys

Inys

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 351 posts

Spoiler

The mangafox link is the first one lol

when searching for that batoto is the 7th result and fake batoto 9th

BobrykRori

BobrykRori

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 14 posts
  • LocationRussia, Saint-Petersburg

Aww, I didn`t knew about this. Thanks for this post

O83LeBACczk.jpg

EF6Jr0TkTXs.jpg

arimareiji

arimareiji

Fingerling Potato

• Donator
  • 61 posts

Spoiler

Thank you for the info, that's interesting. I love how it apparently thinks there's not much difference between "Hadaka" and "Houkago". (^_~)

Is it just me or does it seem like the effectiveness of Google's search algorithms has become inversely proportional to how much they get modified to make advertisers, the MPAA and RIAA, and politicians from every country around the world happy? (Not to mention the supposition that we want search results tailored around what we've looked for in the past.)

Chocolate Chip

Chocolate Chip

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 628 posts

Spoiler

I did the search with Google and got the same result. I did the same search with DuckDuckGo and got 0 phishing results. So switching to a better search engine may also help.

Blastoutmaria

Blastoutmaria

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts
The magical power of Bookmarking~
Click the star to solve all your problems~☆

Btw, this might be a sabotage tactic to make batato look sheet.

Umitencho

Umitencho

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

I think what the scammer is doing is avoiding the main batoto site but targeting the manga. I did a search for three manga with batoto at the end and the scam site showed up. On the bottom of google searches for just "batoto" it has a recommended searches, click those and you will find the scam site somewhere on the first or second page results.

Here are some of my results:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Basically the site is tying itself to "(insert here) batoto" or "batoto (insert here)" searches.

Edited by Umitencho, 22 December 2015 - 03:11 AM.

Nekomikoto

Nekomikoto

Fingerling Potato

• Contributor
  • 64 posts

I did the search with Google and got the same result. I did the same search with DuckDuckGo and got 0 phishing results. So switching to a better search engine may also help.

I've never heard of duckduckgo, I might look into that now, thanks

Wolvenworks

Wolvenworks

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • LocationJakarta

Can we get these clones shut down?

On a sidenote, they shamelessly copied everything, even this thread O_O

Let's involve the flamers, trolls, and the internet's worst to shut the Spy sites down....WITH FIRE!

Z128329.png

ros3Juic3

ros3Juic3

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

Thanks for the warning.

Kazusa_Touma_Bride.png

Snow-san

Snow-san

Potato

• Contributor
  • 106 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Canada
Oooo creepy. Gonna change my password now, just to be safe, cuz I usually type bato in my browser and it pops to Bato.to. Better safe then sorry.

"Friends?! How dare you accuse me of having friends! I'll make you eat those words."
-- Gig - Soul Nomad & the World Eater's

Halo

Halo

Potato

• Donator
  • 171 posts

Report them: 

CloudFlare abuse form:

We accept the following kinds of reports:

Trademark infringement (kek)

Phishing & malware

• ziM likes this