Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Please help me find my next game in a backlog! - 3DS/DS.

Handheld Reccomendations 3DS DS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Coma Culture

Coma Culture

Potato

• Members
  • 109 posts

Hello, Oh great skynet of batoto. So, i got a problem, as most of my real life friends can't help. I have a decent backlog of 3DS and DS games, and i'm looking for the next one that has a certain thing. I don't have a whole lot of time off, so the time i do get to play games on the couch is important, but i would really like to find out which of these few games i already have (Or if there's something out there that fits the bill to a T, that.) that fits what i'm looking for.
I'm really looking for something with an engaging, epic story. Something good, and i have a bit of a craving for it to be an RPG style affair, though if the story is good enough it doesn't need to be. The real important thing is a great story here, and moderately interesting gameplay. A little about my taste is that my favorite 3/DS games are TWEWY, Radiant Historia, the Kingdom Hearts series, Tales of Series and Suikoden Tierkreis. I really like Action RPGs and a console style RPG would totally fit the bill. If i've dipped a toe into the game, i'll say about how far. By the way, thank you guys for sparing the time to read this. None of my friends know Handheld RPGs, so i gotta kinda look elswhere.

Here's what i already own:
DS -
- Solatorobo: Red the Hunter. (Played 5 hours, liked it. Wondering about the story.)
- Phantasy Star 0. (Played 3 hours, repetitive combat but super fun bosses. story any good?)
- Luminous Arc 2. (Kinda slow at the beginning.)
- Knights in the Nightmare.
- Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume.
- Final Fantasy Tactics A2. (Super fun, but story hasn't really kicked in. I'm at the first event with Cid where 'something' happens to him.)
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates.
- Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings.
- Final Fantasy III
- Radiant Historia.(Already played, one of my favorites, but knowing the story so well is stifling the second playthrough.)
- Infinite Space. (Played 3 hours. Great story, but combat is wierd.)
- Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
- Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals. (Super fun, but don't know about the story.)
- Sands of Destruction.
- Spectral Force Genesis.
- Glory of Heracles.
- Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
- Professor Layton & The Curious Village.
- Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective.

3DS

- Code of Princess
- Heroes of Ruin
- Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
- Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
- Project X Zone
- Inazuma Eleven

Ok, that should be it. Please note i already played, beat and loved the following: All the Phoenix Wright games, 999 and VLR, Rune Factory 4, Fantasy Life, SMT Devil Survivor: Overclocked, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Tales of the Abyss, All the handeld KH games. Thanks again for helping me out. I really just need to know which of these has a great story and manageable combat, whether its on the list or out there somewhere.

Newest Project: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1388475073/regeria-hope-honest-corrupt-lawyer-visual-novel?ref=newest

Regeria Hope, a Phoenix Wright-style visual novel free-ware game set in the courtroom. Pleasee check it out!

2hot4you

2hot4you

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationThe Wild

pokemon ofc

aovnZo7.png

Orange orange

Orange orange

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSomewhere wishing I had more oatmeal.

If you are after an epic story, then play a bit more of Infinite space and see if it suits you. It is in my opinion one of the best space operas available on handheld systems, mostly because there are not that many.
   I have heard good things about sands of destruction, though have not played it myself.
   Inazuma eleven is basically a football anime with some funky gameplay mechanics. It takes some time to get used to, but is rather satisfying afterwards. If you like Level 5 then I would recommend it(Dragon Quest IX, Ni no Kuni are two other games they have made).Be warned though that the random battles get rather boring after some time.
   Mario&Luigi: Bowser's inside story is oftentimes seen as one of the best games on the whole console, though I have not played it personally.
   Monster hunter 4 is a very good game, though it is a lot more focused on gameplay rather than story. Still, if you enjoy action orientated combat then this one is the best there is (in my opinion). However, be warned that you might want to buy a circlepad pro, or whatever they are called, if you wish to play it optimally. I personally play without, but I have heard cases of people struggling with the standard circlepad. It is however a lot better now that there are no underwater sequences, which there were some of in Monster Hunter 3.
   Final Fantasy A2 was rather well received if I remember correctly, though most people preferred the Final Fantasy Tactics. The latter should be available to purchase on IOS and other devices, though I do not know how good the controls are.
   If you want to play a good dungeon crawler, then I would recommend the Etrian Odyssey series. It is rather light when it comes to story, but is otherwise a good dungeon crawler. Be warned though that the games are difficult, though I have heard the "untold" ones are easier than the rest. A good startingpoint would probably be Etrian Odyssey IV, though number five is probably coming out next year.
   If you can wait a month and a half you will be able to pick up Fire emblem: if (or whatever they call it now, Fates I believe). It is split into three separate games, so that could be rather off putting. It is however rather similar to Awakening, so if you liked that then I ecommend it. Actually, if you like SRPGs then I would recommend the whole series.
   One important thing to note though is that most games on the eshop have demos available to play. So if you are ever interested in one you can download the demo and test it for yourself. I am a bit sad they do not do this as often on PC or consoles, as it has allowed me to pick up some great games I would have otherwise missed.

That is all I can think of for now. I apologise for any spelling errors found in the text, I am writing this from the phone so is a bit hard to check. I might write something more at a later date, as it is currently 4 o'clock where I am at and I am nearly collapsing.

edit: Just making it a bit easier to read.

Edited by Orange orange, 22 January 2016 - 10:47 PM.

Does anyone know of a children's book containing a cannibal pirate captain who tricks a priest into eating his own servant? I know it exists, but have forgotten the name.

Officer Judy Hopps

Officer Judy Hopps

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationWonderland!
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate definitely is good choice. Story is meh, but game play is fantastic and difficult at times. The online community can be a bit testy at high ranks as well.

Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire should be standard 3DS game, pretty much. They are awesome remakes of the original Sapphire/Ruby, and the competitive play online is great! That, and you can build up your teams a bit before Pokemon Sun/Moon come out this winter, and transfer them over to Sun/Moon from Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire utilizing the Pokémon bank.

And there is always Smash Brothers if you want fluid combat.

Edited by The Hawk's Eye, 25 April 2016 - 10:03 PM.

tumblr_o3sndbSAhX1qctrupo2_500.gif

Me, according to a Hero:

Spoiler