Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Tips for Overcoming Writers' Block

writers block writing tips problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Endrak

Endrak

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationThe Frozen North

Post tips for overcoming writers' block. Help our friends succeed.

TIP:

If you have trouble getting from Point A to Point B, try this.

Summarize major events in your story and organize them in the order you want them to happen.  EX: "Squire Richard discovers that Lord Evil is his real father."

List minor events you want to happen and move them to the place they fit best. EX: "Squire Richard gets drunk in a tavern and accidentally spills wine on Deceptra Badness. They become friends in the ensuing conversation. They do not recognize each other."

String the summaries together into one. EX: "Richard discovers that Lord Evil is his real father. Consumed with despair and losing his sense of purpose, he gets drunk in a tavern, where he accidentally spills wine on a disguised Deceptra Badness. Not recognizing each other, they grow close and spend the evening locked in a heartfelt conversation. Ironically, Deceptra is the one who convinces Richard to continue his quest."

TIP:

If you are suddenly overcome with inspiration for a scene or line of dialogue, take steps to remember it. Walk yourself through it several times, aloud or in your head. Write it down as soon as you can. Do not trust yourself to remember otherwise, and do not assume your idea is trash because it came to you in the shower.

"Of course there will be consequences. There will always be consequences. Does that mean you should do nothing? Of course not! Only fools choose to do nothing rather than face consequences. Fools and cowards. I cannot turn my back on those people, let that monster do as he pleases while he hides behind his name and his gold. It is my duty, as a warrior and a man of God, to right wrongs such as this even if I die. Do you not feel the same, or have I crossed half the world with a coward at my side?" --While standing on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.

Kaw-ah-ee. Dess-oo caww. Colon, three. Colon, three. Tilde tilde tilde tilde tilde tilde tilde tilde tilde tilde tilde tilde tilde tilde tilde tilde

Bokuboy

Bokuboy

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 260 posts

You can also bounce ideas off a friend's head. Fresh eyes have a tendency to see the way around any block you may have. Also, leaving it be for a bit helps, too. Distract yourself by doing something else for a bit. Don't get too wrapped up in trying to beat your way past an obstacle. Relax, take your time. You can get by it.

*\(シ)/*

Russet potatoes are the most delicious!

Emerald39

Emerald39

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 317 posts

There's also the concept of sketching any and all characters, locations and connections; even just a simple timeline. If you do that, you can not only graph your storyline and establish new traits and relationships ideas that you may not have considered, you can also develop the later storyline to come. Also, recounting your own story to yourself and considering any possible questions a reader might have is a vital aspect. Any and all possible plot holes should be re-examined and fixed either shortly after or in a later instalment, so long as your path is filled in using future events and dialogue. That's what I've learnt from writing my novel, but it might not work for everyone. 

Mikofly

Mikofly

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • LocationLaniakea Supercluster

Sometimes, you just need to walk away. Take a break from writing or work on something else for a while. Switching mental gears is a good way to get and stay inspired, plus if you're working on something problematic, setting it aside for a while lets you come back later and look at it with fresh eyes. You might even come up with a solution for one problem while working on something else.

elXMLT.png

I wander. I wonder. What do I hope to find?