Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Page unavailable in new chapters

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Nolonar

Nolonar

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 56 posts

I can't read any chapters on my phone.
I'm using a Lumia with Windows Phone 8.1.

By the way, any chance you might improve that error message?
Giving the users a list of possible reasons is just as useful as simply saying "you can't read the chapter". Yeah, I can see that. What now?

Also, keep in mind that as a user, we're not interested in knowing only "why". We also want to know "what can I do to fix it".
For instance:

Bad:

• You don't have permission.
  • Your browser is not supported.

Good:

• You don't have permission. You need to be logged in.
  • You don't have permission. Your account has been banned under suspicion of [whatever]. If you believe this was a mistake, feel free to let us know in the forums [link here].
  • Your browser does not support [feature name here]. Click here to see a list of browsers that support the feature [caniuse.com].

Microsoft just happens to have a pretty good guideline when it comes to writing error messages:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms679325(v=vs.85).aspx

There's no need to apply everything that's written in it, but it does offer numerous useful insights.

EDIT:

I though only my phone was affected because I couldn't even load page 1 of the new +Tic Neesan chapter, but now I can't read page 2 of that same chapter on my desktop on Edge...

At least I know it's not because my browser isn't supported, or I wouldn't have been able to read page 1 in the first place, right?

Edited by Nolonar, 23 October 2015 - 05:34 PM.

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationHere of course!

I can't read any chapters on my phone.
I'm using a Lumia with Windows Phone 8.1.

I'm just scratching my head right now on how to even test that.

I made the error message a bit vague so crawls can't learn from it either. But I do see the inconvenience it causes the users. Right now though, error messages have a number beside them. Then, at leas I know what's wrong. Can you post that?

Nolonar

Nolonar

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 56 posts

I assume you mean this number: 10004?

That's the number I get ​with Edge. My phone gives me 10006 instead.

Just in case that wasn't enough: Here's the whole thing:

ERROR [10004]: The thing you're looking for is unavailable. It may be due to:

• You do not have sufficient permission.
  • It never existed.
  • It has been removed by the uploader.
  • It has been removed by the moderator.
  • It has been removed for copyright reasons.
  • You came from the future and this chapter does not exist yet.
  • Last, but not least. Try refresh (F5). Could be server being overloaded, a bug, or your bad cache.

Edited by Nolonar, 23 October 2015 - 05:45 PM.

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts

I assume you mean this number: 10004?

That's the number I get ​with Edge. My phone gives me 10006 instead.

Just in case that wasn't enough: Here's the whole thing:

Okay. I think I got you. Windows phones are weird.

Nolonar

Nolonar

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 56 posts

I just wanted to say that Edge on my desktop no longer has that 10004 issue. It's fixed there.

I'm just scratching my head right now on how to even test that.

I think I just found a way to test compatibility with Windows Phone using Windows.

IE 11 can emulate Mobile IE 11 (the default browser in WP 8.1) using the F12 dev tools.

If I try to read a chapter that way, I get the same 10006 error on my desktop as on my phone.

For some weird reason, if Edge tries to emulate Mobile IE 11, there is no error and the chapter loads perfectly.

On another note: assuming I can trust Edge's emulation, it seems that Edge for Windows 10 Mobile has no trouble loading chapters.

Since Windows 10 Mobile is just around the corner, I can wait until then.

Segub

Segub

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

I use Chrome and have been having this issue on my computer now for a while, I can not seem to read old or new. Chrome on my iPhone works fine though, and I can read everything, its just sometimes you want to read things on a larger screen.  This is what I get on my desktop though and the refreshing does not work:

ERROR [10004]: The thing you're looking for is unavailable. It may be due to:

• You do not have sufficient permission.
  • It never existed.
  • It has been removed by the uploader.
  • It has been removed by the moderator.
  • It has been removed for copyright reasons.
  • You came from the future and this chapter does not exist yet.
  • Last, but not least. Try refresh (F5). Could be server being overloaded, a bug, or your bad cache.

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts

I use Chrome and have been having this issue on my computer now for a while, I can not seem to read old or new. Chrome on my iPhone works fine though, and I can read everything, its just sometimes you want to read things on a larger screen.  This is what I get on my desktop though and the refreshing does not work:

[...]

Chrome is definitely supported. Most people use chrome afterall. It's possible you changed some setting beyond default. I also noticed from the reports that some people have referrers turned off. I believe addons are the only way to change that setting in Chrome.