Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Batoto becoming registered only?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
512 replies to this topic

JoxoR

JoxoR

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

And you're like... LOL

albinoblack

albinoblack

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

made an account other day, i think it's the right move

make it as hard as possible for those leeches

Strike

Strike

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 50 posts

and by doing this you have broken all forms of EASIER manga reading via subscription updates from extensions like manga viewer. its not the same thing as you being paranoid that mangaxxx is stealing your posts and that's funny considering mangahere for example UPDATES QUICKER THAN YOU. literally a stupid decision and i along with probably tons of people will stop reading here and no not just because you have to log in/register that's fine, but because you did this it broke almost every manga I'm following via the mangaviewer extension and so now i have to manually change every single one to mangahere since i dont get updates otherwise.
-signed one of your 90% of "guests" you probably just lost

This... I don't... wha? Is the follows list really that hard a concept to get? Why bother using an extension to keep track of what you're reading when you can have batoto do it for you? Also: why (and this is aimed at a number of posts carrying a similar theme, not just the one quoted above) do people using extensions and apps not produced by batoto expect Grumpy to jump through hoops to make them still work after the recent changes? That's the app or extension's developer's problem, not Grumpy's. For all we know, some of these apps/extensions could be among those crawling the site.

On a note unrelated to the above quote, are people that use mobile apps to read things from batoto seriously unaware that they can just go directly to the regular bato.to site instead of the mobile version? There's even a button at the bottom of the page that lets you switch back and forth. I've yet to see this mentioned so far, though I have admittedly only read fifteen of the current twenty-six pages, so I could be wrong. Considering how many people I've seen complaining about apps breaking, it's surprising it hasn't come up.

Done griping for now.

burchyisms

burchyisms

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOkinawa
How can I change it back to the full site from the mobile version? I never even knew it was there so I gave it a shot. It's stuck as the mobile site for me now. Whenever I click it to go back to normal, it just jumps back to the top of the page. Is there a URL I can use to override it? I miss muh full Batoto already. :x

sjoe

sjoe

Potato

• Members
  • 160 posts
  • LocationUnder a rock.

How can I change it back to the full site from the mobile version? I never even knew it was there so I gave it a shot. It's stuck as the mobile site for me now. Whenever I click it to go back to normal, it just jumps back to the top of the page. Is there a URL I can use to override it? I miss muh full Batoto already. :x

This isn't really the right place for your post, and my reply, but:

https://vatoto.com/forums/topic/23935-mobile-version-of-batoto-totally-broken-pc-version-on-phone-is-too-clunky-to-use-on-phone/

https://vatoto.com/forums/topic/24149-cant-switch-back-from-mobile-view/

https://vatoto.com/forums/topic/24229-how-to-go-back-to-full-version/

A simple search in the forums would've led you to those links. The Batoto Support subforum is there for precisely this kind of stuff. :<

Rumia

Rumia

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 13 posts
  • Locationhttp://kireicake.com/chats

Deleted

Edited by Rumia, 01 June 2016 - 05:29 PM.

Heartless~

Heartless~

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationRPI, New York

I am perfectly okay with you making Batoto not view-able to non logged in members. I'm even okay with occasional captcha pop-ups. Do what you need to do to keep the site running, and thank you for hosting it!

xavdel

xavdel

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

The copy of chapter continue and I don't have an idea how to stop it, but if they want to copy automatically let them do it (they will find a way). But if a troll chapter appear for 1-2 minute on each manga what would happen ? (Free advertisement)

Rannon

Rannon

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Here are some things that other people probably have suggested already but...

To keep the stealing down, would it be possible to make some changes to the name of the file or an invisible change on the file itself that'd make it possible to connect it to a user? Or would that (if it's possible) slow down everything too much?

On the topic of making making this site partially private, I really only have a couple of issues:
1. The URL change - I (usually) use the name of the series to put stuff in alphabetic order.

2. The message when following a link that has now been defunct due to the URL change (and possibly when trying to reach a new link when not logged in, this however, I haven't tried and thus I have no idea) - It'd be nice to know whether it's any use to look for the series on this site or if I'd have to go to mangaupdates.com

Thanks for keeping this site going BTW! :D

Argomundo

Argomundo

Kraftwerk Potato

• Donator
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationGermany
Well you could try to make 2 kinds of login
The normal accounts and maby something like a Guest Account that only requires you to put in a valid mail adress,
and that should make it easier to know what guests are doing.

I only know a bit about the technical stuff so i dont know if this is feasable

I invite everyone reading this to the Batoto discord https://discord.gg/PxAqQGy 

Spoiler

Samhill

Samhill

Potato

• Members
  • 151 posts

So, is it working?

"So round, so firm, so fully packed." - Daffy Duck, not talking about what you probably think he's talking about.

Silentnight

Silentnight

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • LocationCA,USA

I'm not sure if this was mentioned already or not but even if you make this site partially private or make it totally private, that isn't going to stop snuffs from making an account and getting a better steal. While looking up solutions for this problem, some where on the net (I lost the site so this won't be 100% accurate)  stop this is mby making screen shot keys an action. Or in other words, just like how we can press the left and right keys on our keyboard o go to the previous page or the next page, if a user clicks a screen shot key (such as prntscrn on windows) it will cause what is currently being view disappear for a few seconds and become a blank page and that is what the user would get a screen shot of (a blank page) or in case of a picture it could make a watermark appear (also in the picture) . Also (same source)I read up how one site was so tired about people stealing their work,, they had a warning on top of the page saying that any who presses these keys (all possible screenshot keys were listed) will automatically get banned from this site. And I guess in the coding if someone pressed one of those keys it triggered some sort of security and it block the IP address from getting onto that site. Before I could manage to copy and paste the details of it here, my computer froze and while refreshing the site address couldn't be found and the blog was deleted, so I'm looking into it and hopefully I find someone else who explained how to do this and when I do I"ll post it here.

Also away from a source and IMHO I think maybe you can try what music sheet websites do. Music sheets websites who sell their music scores allow people to look at one page (other allow people to look at most half) of the music score and sheet music,  and until they buy it they cannot view anymore then that. So for this site maybe just allow users to read everything except for the last page or maybe last  pages.

Then mention something like "Due to manga aggregates using this site as a source we cannot allow guest users to read the last 3 pages unless they register. to this site. Please support our scanlators and register!" or something along those lines so people would know why they can't view those pages and could possibly end up registering. It may be a pain but it even it's brief1, if you can let people know why they can't view those last 3 pages (or maybe going with the first idea and can't view update after 7 days), they might look into manga aggregates or  maybe spread the word about it (both in best case scenario), but mainly  for most they won't think this is an aggressive website trying to get people to register so they can receive spam (which is unfortunately what a lot of people think when they don't have the freedom to view something freely without having to register).

P.S. I typed this up really quick so my grammar might be of... a lot

Then again any of these may be complex.... or maybe even stupid...

Edited by Silentnight, 27 February 2016 - 07:05 AM.

janemba

janemba

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

You should disable echi and hentai manga for user below 14.