Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Where do you Draw the Line?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

IlikeLolis

IlikeLolis

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • LocationUnder your Skirt

While a mushroom man and Maneater plants might be ok.

The idea of eating intelligent life is kinda iffy. Even dragons are usually wise and stuff, some even speak.

For myself I'd refrain from any demi-humans, I'd probably drop the book in a heartbeat if they started looking at Harpies like drumbsticks.

bolojax

bolojax

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
Anything that lives can potentially become food.

lopalop2

lopalop2

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

Line?

IlikeLolis

IlikeLolis

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • LocationUnder your Skirt

Line?

Basically; if you were a dungeoning adventurer, what would you not be able to eat?

Propodia

Propodia

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 25 posts

S***man. cant eat him.

Alanj95

Alanj95

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

I'd avoid anything that is too human until it was absolutely necessary.

babbo5d

babbo5d

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 375 posts
  • Locationtower first floor (failed)
Goblins.

DM00z

DM00z

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

Anything humanoid is gonna be hard to stomach. So, for that reason, the author may not include humanoid monsters at all. (Well, golem is probably an exception, can golem actually be eaten?)

Giantess

Giantess

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 417 posts
  • LocationOn top!

Kobolds are deadly poisonous anyway.  Everyone knows that.

Lazy Mister Rabbit

Lazy Mister Rabbit

Potato

• Members
  • 139 posts

No Orcs. I bet their meat stinks.

And I don't think I would have problems with eating anything (sapient beings, humans, dragons etc.) as long as it's edible (don't wanna die) and it's not from a sick specimen. Carrion is a No no

What would pose a problem for me is how to get the meat. Like I doubt I would have problems with eating my friends or even myself, my pets, family, people I like. The problem would lay in making food out of them (getting meat). By that I mean I don't wan't to harm people (not only people) important to me, my aquiances or even complete strengers. Also people I dislike or even hate would be a no no.

And not because I find Idea of eating humans (or sapient being or living beings in general revolting) but because I find the Idea of kiling someone like that for food when there are other options moronicwastefull (not of meat/food but of their potential). So for me it would be more of a question who can I (theoreticaly!) kill.

Spoiler

And take it seriously. That's very interesting question

Epolimar

Epolimar

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationItaly

Well the living armor were similar to humanoid and were an intelligent specie, but don't seem like a problem, i remember that in dragoball Yajirobe roasted and eat Cymbal, so i don't think the author will have problem with reptillian species. I think the limit will be the appareance similar to humans.

Lazy Mister Rabbit

Lazy Mister Rabbit

Potato

• Members
  • 139 posts

Read on your own responsibility.

Edited by Lazy Mister Rabbit, 07 October 2015 - 11:08 PM.

subliminal

subliminal

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationUK....probably.

Merpeople eggs...

Bighomer

Bighomer

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

As long as it is cooked beyond recognition anything goes~

Pascon

Pascon

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationRokkenjima

Hmmm...tough question, but I go with humanoid looking. Like having the face like human, body, similar reproduce system, intelligent and can talk too. Other than that...hygiene concern, no flithy looking monster. 

welp~

(┌゚д゚)┌~Click it for my MAL~(┌゚д゚)┌

tumblr_n26uv6tODY1ql2sjoo7_r1_500.gif

vedasisme

vedasisme

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts

Eating something sentient might be problematic.  From a utilitarian standpoint, if the species is something you can communicate with, then eating them would be bad for several reasons.  You'd have to worry about the other race becoming hostile for eating one of their kind, and you'd have to deal with the consequences.  For that reason, even if orcs were hostile, for instance, and you had to kill them in battle, eating them would probably be bad.  Particularly in this story, where the party of adventurers were able to deal with a tribe of orcs in a civilized manner.

Fundamentally, we have difficulty eating anything that we can empathize with, which is why some people have difficulty eating meat the more identifiable it becomes.  For example, being grossed out if there is a vein left over in a chicken leg.

When it comes down to it, what really matters is how high on your priorities "survival" is.  When there's no other choice, and the dead meat is already there, I imagine most people would resort to cannibalism in the end.

Aoitenshi1

Aoitenshi1

Fingerling Potato

• Donator
  • 50 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

This may not apply to Dungeon Meshi, but this kind of fantasy settings usually have clear categories on 'humans', 'demi-humans', 'monsters'. From how I see it, a kelpie is pretty much just a monster in a form of a horse. But, orcs, elves, goblins, should be categorized as 'demi-humans' which mean they should not be something to eat.

Regarding monsters, a part of me actually agrees to how the elf mage hesitates to eat something called a monster. Senshi seems to be all right, but I wonder if he'll be getting cancer or some other illness for consuming something born inside a dungeon every day for years now.

Featured Projects:

- Lady Ayane is a Sanova B**chi

- Raisekamika

Roses are red,

Lilies are awesome.

Won't you donate?

to aoitenshi.com

Buy Me a Coffee [link here]
Become a Patron! [link here]
Send some bitcoin (too expensive) satoshi? 1KjFCmpFiXDBLL6RwKJGkDhaQwe9JMx6nf

Moloch

Moloch

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 79 posts

Cancer? What are you talking about? They’d just use magic to heal whatever side-effects their diet would have. This is a high fantasy world, remember?

Anyway, I think it would come down to availability. If the only options were eating humanoid monsters (or even actual humans) or starving then I suspect that most would suddenly find that their scruples vanished into thin air.

Belruel

Belruel

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts

There is a lot of cultural bias in this. Western society generally frowns on cannibalism because of foundations in the belief that the Dead will rise up again in the Apocalypse. Even if individuals don't follow that belief any more, there's still a certain amount of squick when it comes to eating or desecrating the dead.

Also, eating for pragmatic reasons (like preventing starvation aboard shipwrecks) is completely different from making a culture of it (some African and Oceanic cultures are the most oft cited). Cannibalistic societies often eat Human meat for ritualistic purposes. An example of a ritual is based on the belief that eating the person will confer some of that person's wisdom and experience to you (an extension of, you are what you eat). So, if you don't eat, you are basically dissing off the dead by implying they have no experience or their life was a waste.

As another example of empathy, most people have problems eating guinea pigs and chihuahuas despite the fact they were originally domesticated and bred as food in the South Americas (you can't raise large animals for meat, like cows, in a mountain range). They got turned in to pets in North America and the people there stopped eating them because of empathy.

Anyway, I'm down to at least try anything once or twice. 

Edited by Belruel, 04 December 2015 - 05:30 PM.

LeucyLancedor

LeucyLancedor

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

I hate killing...

Would i kill a rabbit (alive, stranger to me, not intelligent) to eat if next to me, there is a dead friend (could be human/or not, intelligent/or not, dead anyway) ?

that rabbit  could be someone's friend...