Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

[Spoilers] What the **** happened to this manga?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Zageron

Zageron

Russet Potato

• tC Donator
  • 427 posts
  • LocationCanada
This manga has lost all sense and appeal. It's gone from a good story, to a totally unbelievable science fiction story where some crazy white hybrid kid has all powerful disks in his shoes. (Sora)

I do not like where this has gone. I enjoyed the story up to the point where the president and that girl switched bodies, that was just retarded. Then the Gram Scale started and the plot just went to shit.

What's with mangas getting shitty suddenly? (Bleach, Naruto, Fairy Tale, and now Air Gear... any more to add to the list?)

Laurens D

Laurens D

Baked Potato

• tC Donator
  • 1,475 posts
  • Locationin the tower!
no idea, saw the anime. though to take a peak in manga, and don't like it. so never really read it.

Posted Image

This is not my fault!

You could have bought my cookies.

Nick

Nick

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 41 posts
I have to agree. I simply loved this manga when it first started. The ideas of tricks, along with various modes of racing. You could see from the start that the mangaka had some ideas for this manga. I don't know how did it become another typical battle manga. It's rather disappointing.

KayBorn3000

KayBorn3000

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • LocationEcchi Land
I'm glad I am not the only one who feels that way.

Bleach - WTF is that about, Ichigo losing his powers, gaining strange new powers then losing those too then getting his old powers Back with borrowed powers of the other Shinigami......its just getting retarded. It also pisses me off that we still know almost nothing about Ichigo's Dad and his history along with his mother. They still havent said anything further on what Aizen was telling Ichigo in their last fight when Ichigo's dad told Aizen he talked too much.

Naruto - How do we get so F-ing far into Shippuden and see so little of Sasuke.

Fairy Tail - Ok I still like Fairy Tail but it's taking so long to establish a solid antagonist AND Natsu has gotten any further than he did in the very beginning of the Manga to finding his Dragon "Father".

Buster Keel - I love this Manga but the pace of it and the erratic release schedule is killing me

Air Gear - I've been reading it from the beginning and at first I loved it...now I must admit no longer know what the F*$% is going on. Yes the Prez switching bodies was absolutely dumb. I still read it and try and peace together what I at one point understood of the plot but yeah I am really getting confused and fighting the urge to no longer care.
Spoiler

babbo3d

babbo3d

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 606 posts
  • Locationin the outer tower (failed on the first floor)
everything i felt has already being said the only manga the has not dissapointed me yet is one piece
Posted Image

Alejandro_cb

Alejandro_cb

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts
I also agree, I think the author did the same thing with Tenjou Tenge.

₰Ѻʯϒαϑ

₰Ѻʯϒαϑ

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 27 posts
  • LocationLost Dimension
I agree too......wtf a f****** huge tower appeared out of nowhere...it's really dumb....
and also instead of showing tricks....the author just increased the fiction part and compares every trick to some scenery(mostly bunch of roses).....
and also i haven't seen any girls(well not all girls but almost all) with clothes on for almost last 30 chapters or so....

ValorantX

ValorantX

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,601 posts
I actually started to see the storyline disintegrate around chapter 150 and then it turned borderline horrible later on. I mean OhGreat! seriously needs to distinguish between poetry and shonen manga, they're for different audiences. -___- Other things include:
1. trying to give lessons on physics (which are not entirely correct) to us that cover several pages for no apparent reason
2. giving us no clue what the **** is going on with the plot or story. I would finish one chapter and wonder what the heck happened.
3. the whole thing about A-T and suddenly revealing that they can be used to dominate over the world is just plain bogus, I get the whole thing about using the technology to test gravity children but from what we knew so far back then, they were just highly advanced skates used as a sport............ now we have Sora proclaiming to the world he'll rise humanity from being ants to people who can grasp the sky, much like Hitler gathering supporters with his speeches. In the real world, not everyone would be brainwashed and start cheering for someone they just saw for the first time on television or online, I would probably just look at him and think "Who is this freak?"
4. Simca randomly cut her hair short, so much less appealing lol.

Edited by Saphsin, 19 November 2011 - 03:34 AM.

"Once you label me you negate me." - Soren Kierkegaard

Thunder Wolf

Thunder Wolf

Fried Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 656 posts
  • LocationDiscord
You know that Air Gear is supposed to be philosophical, right? I mean, if you read Tenjou Tenge you'd know that Air Gear is more about philosophical, poetically written lines meant to convey an idea completely unrelated to the actual plot. Oh! Great basically just makes manga with symbolic imagery that expresses some hidden philosophical meaning.
Seriously take a second and think about the concept in Air Gear of "Flying". It's obviously (at least in part) talking about expanding your horizons and reaching for the stars.

The president body switch could be for comedic value, or it could be a commentary on our President.

Also, maybe the current 99% thing is a reference to Occupy Wallstreet? It probably isn't, but then again, this IS Oh! Great we're talking about. xD
It's probably hard to translate anything of Oh! Great without having a crapload of translator notes each page to express word usage, implied meanings, etc, etc.

@KayBorn3000, Bleach's author Kubo Tite is a troll. He recycles plots and attempts twists. He's pretty fail considering he wanted Gin to be really creepy and off putting and was surprised when he heard Gin was popular among women. xD
Naruto's REAL plot is just as bad as filler. In fact, I'd say everything past the Zabuza arc (or Retrieve Sasuke, depending on preference) is pretty filler-esque.
Fairy Tale's thing is that they're fighting to be the best guild ever. Natsu isn't closer than he was before because seriously looking isn't in his character (also he has a traveling problem XD). The recent Time Skip was quite original (as far as time skips go) and contributed to the plot in an interesting way.

2z50p6t.png

morlyn

morlyn

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 32 posts

everything i felt has already being said the only manga the has not dissapointed me yet is one piece

and d gray man for me :P
but i agree on the recent chapters of air gear, i just want Oh! Great to return to the the original runs back when it was good, and focus less on the regalia and the kings and make it less of a battlesque manga. battle in it is good though dont get me wrong just not to this extent where its losing all of what really made it original.

Aesop

Aesop

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
I read Tenjou Tenge, and felt it fell apart about the time he started working on Air Gear; and that one really jumped the shark. Several volumes back in time, involving none of the main characters and an incomprehensible ending that felt like the series had been cancelled that week.

Seeing the current direction of Air Gear, I can't help but feel that Oh! Great is a master at starting and building a series, engaging an audience, building a world the reader wants to buy into, but lacks the interest or skill to do anything with it once he is there. Stories don't need to be obscure to be poetic, and battle mangas don't need to jump the shark to prevent repetition.

I gave up on Naruto a long time ago. I'm holding out hope for Bleach still, even though I feel like ending story when he lost his powers would have been a better move. This could just be the fate of long running series, but as babbo3d said, One Piece is still delivering a solid story.

If Tenjou Tenge is any indicator, I think Air Gear is either going to end soon or go off on a completely wild tangent (mid battle).

Thunder Wolf

Thunder Wolf

Fried Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 656 posts
  • LocationDiscord
Haha. Yeah, Oh! Great likes to go off on tangents. Although, sometimes I feel like he's been either on drugs the whole time, or maybe he's injecting his own opinions on real world issues.
Perhaps the reason it's so obscure is because he doesn't want to directly come out and say his opinion in fear of them being controversial. But then again, he might just be drugged out or lazy.

Aesop, Give up on Bleach. Kubo Tite follows one formula and sticks to it. New enemy ➜ Defeat ➜ Training ➜ Drawn Out Fights. Also, every arc consists of rescuing someone and epic troll plot twists.
One Piece's latest arc was a bit disappointing compared to how it's gone so far. Hopefully, the new time skip gets better and builds upon itself like the last arcs have.

2z50p6t.png

renecop545

renecop545

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts

You know that Air Gear is supposed to be philosophical, right? I mean, if you read Tenjou Tenge you'd know that Air Gear is more about philosophical, poetically written lines meant to convey an idea completely unrelated to the actual plot. Oh! Great basically just makes manga with symbolic imagery that expresses some hidden philosophical meaning.
Seriously take a second and think about the concept in Air Gear of "Flying". It's obviously (at least in part) talking about expanding your horizons and reaching for the stars.

The president body switch could be for comedic value, or it could be a commentary on our President.

Also, maybe the current 99% thing is a reference to Occupy Wallstreet? It probably isn't, but then again, this IS Oh! Great we're talking about. xD
It's probably hard to translate anything of Oh! Great without having a crapload of translator notes each page to express word usage, implied meanings, etc, etc.

@KayBorn3000, Bleach's author Kubo Tite is a troll. He recycles plots and attempts twists. He's pretty fail considering he wanted Gin to be really creepy and off putting and was surprised when he heard Gin was popular among women. xD
Naruto's REAL plot is just as bad as filler. In fact, I'd say everything past the Zabuza arc (or Retrieve Sasuke, depending on preference) is pretty filler-esque.
Fairy Tale's thing is that they're fighting to be the best guild ever. Natsu isn't closer than he was before because seriously looking isn't in his character (also he has a traveling problem XD). The recent Time Skip was quite original (as far as time skips go) and contributed to the plot in an interesting way.

Sorry buddy, but you're still failing to take into account how hard the story is to follow. Starting from around ~ch150 (shortly after Spitfire dies I think), the story loses all sense of coherence. Random plot points are thrown in and then dropped without ever being fully explained; deus ex machina is employed every 10 chapters, and some characters are introduced and removed from the story so quickly that it feels like the author is just catering to the flavor of the month. To call Air Gear poetic or even philosophical is to be blinded by seemingly complicated phrases that mean absolutely nothing - "99% of this world is made of bugs, and they [cannot] realize their dreams because they couldn't study as well" (Sora Takuechi, ch. 335). I mean, just look at that phrase. One minute he's talking about how giving everyone ATs can give them the power to fly, and then he claims that one of the reasons they can't fly is because "they couldn't study as well"? That point is completely irrelevant to his claim, and even contradictory since gravity children use ATs well b/c of their birth and training, not b/c they can "study well". It's a shame, really, since I loved Air Gear when I first started reading it. Then the story went to hell. I have been hoping that after 150 chapters of pure crap the story would start kicking ass like it once did, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Sorry Air Gear, but you now have more crappy chapters than you do have good chapters. Time to reread well-written classics like Rurouni Kenshin - at least the story was well thought out in advance before the manga even started serializing.

Edited by Li Chen, 08 December 2011 - 12:58 AM.

Thunder Wolf

Thunder Wolf

Fried Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 656 posts
  • LocationDiscord

Starting from around ~ch150 (shortly after Spitfire dies I think), the story loses all sense of coherence. Random plot points are thrown in and then dropped without ever being fully explained; deus ex machina is employed every 10 chapters, and some characters are introduced and removed from the story so quickly that it feels like the author is just catering to the flavor of the month.

That sounds exactly like what I said. >_>
I said Air Gear wasn't about it's own plot, it's about the Author trying to sound smart. He employs philosophy and poetically written lines. The philosophy doesn't always make sense or contain coherence. Remember Neon Genesis Evangelion? It's essentially the same thing. Air Gear's more about its strange symbolism than the real plot. The poetic lines aren't always good. Once again, it's the author trying to sound smart. Oh! Great likes to make things sound poetic.

To say it isn't poetic or philosophical just because the poetry or philosophy isn't good is misguided. I could make a short verse about my foot. Even if it sucks and doesn't make sense, it is still a poem. The same goes for the philosophy. Going by your logic, if a book isn't well written, it is no longer a book.

If you honestly thought this series would get better, you obviously haven't read Tenjou Tenge.It was obvious it would only get more cryptic as the story went on.

Air Gear, like Tenjou Tenge is about style over substance. Oh!Great has made a series he wants to look nice and have good sounding words/phrases.It's obvious he doesn't care about the real plot.

P.S. About Sora's phrase you used, you're completely ignoring how Sora was the dunce of the Gravity Children. In fact, iirc, Sora and the other Gravity children who weren't doing as well were going to be terminated. That difference in treatment has been a major factor in Sora's actions and development. "Study Well" obviously means talent. He's essentially saying the 99% aren't as good because they don't have the talent to succeed. He's essentially saying that everyone wants to succeed and achieve their dreams, but only 1% have the actual talent to "fly" and reach their dreams. Being a Gundam fan, it was pretty easy to conclude what that sentence meant.
You can not understand Air Gear, not while your soul is still held down by gravity! ~_^

2z50p6t.png

Thunder Wolf

Thunder Wolf

Fried Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 656 posts
  • LocationDiscord
Sorry for a double post, but the most recent chapter (340) is extremely relevant to this topic.

Depending on your sense of humor, this newest chapter is either extremely lulzy, or really crappy.

We have Dio Brando announcing, (http://vatoto.com/read/_/64986/air-gear_v36_ch340_by_ssa-scans/2)
WRYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

We also have robot birds crapping some sort of bubble like repair gel (http://vatoto.com/read/_/64986/air-gear_v36_ch340_by_ssa-scans/4)

Oh! Great always gets me to lol with chapters like this.

2z50p6t.png

GoldenFox

GoldenFox

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts
I like this manga, you guys are just haters. Air Gear hasn't fallen off at all in my opinion. It's fan servicing the fuck out of me though

Thunder Wolf

Thunder Wolf

Fried Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 656 posts
  • LocationDiscord
Yes! finally someone else who still thinks Air Gear is good!

Don't worry GoldenFox, haters gonna hate.

2z50p6t.png

Yan Q

Yan Q

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 890 posts
  • Locationwith your lover
I don't know if I'm really qualified to post in this thread, since I'm so out of whack with Air Gear.
But, here's my two cents anyway:

I think the main reason why fans of Air Gear (and any series really) get so disappointed is because it's not what it used to be.

I mean, dude. I loved air gear. It was all about getting out there into the world. It was pretty inspiring. But the Air Gear people are reading now is not the Air Gear people used to read, used to love, used to connect to -- it's just something that branches off it. That's it. really, or at least that's why I'm sorta-kinda disappointed. I'm not saying the first part is any better or that it's any worse, it's just that, unless you read it all in one go, or are just biased towards Air Gear (as in, you're gonna be a fan no matter what,) when it changes, or when any series changes, it's sorta hard to take in.

But then again, this reply is pretty biased in that, I prefer it when serieses (lol what's the proper plural?) mangaka understand it's better for the series to have a clear and definite run. I get that they have to make a living, it's life, but I'm sure they would rather people remember their series as the one that made people glad they took time to read (the whole thing) rather than the one that everyone has heard of, but haven't really actually read. (Some have been mentioned in previous replies by the bye :D)

and that's it. that's a long two cents /:

yes, i bite

fp | ig

Thunder Wolf

Thunder Wolf

Fried Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 656 posts
  • LocationDiscord
Well, you're partially right. It also has to do with people not being familiar with the author. Just about every series the author has done (including the hentai) typically ends up like this. It's to be expected by now. I would think that any long term fan of Oh! Great reads despite that, and might even find it amusing. I for one happily accept the changes and find them quite entertaining.

Also, we're at volume 36. I think we can all learn from Nisio Isin, the creator of Medaka Box. One of his characters summed up the problem with long running manga quite nicely.

"Manga that go longer than ten volumes just coast off their success"

Edited by Thunder Wolf, 16 January 2012 - 05:49 PM.

2z50p6t.png

ValorantX

ValorantX

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,601 posts
Manga that only run for 10 volumes are short though....... Less than 100 chapters?

"Once you label me you negate me." - Soren Kierkegaard