Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Flawed Games You Can't Help But Love

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Mushiren

Mushiren

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • LocationFloating about

As the title implies, which games have you enjoyed the most, despite serious flaws? How are they flawed, and what do you like about them despite these flaws?

It might be a tough question, but personally I can think of quite a few games. Devil May Cry 4 for example is one of them.

There are a lot of flaws in this game, particularly some of the mission/level design and the way the second half of the game is just the first half backwards, in addition to weak characterization. But the combat is so great. I still throw it in once every couple months to give Bloody Palace a couple runs.

Cx1SVSV.png

Opal

Opal

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • LocationFinland

The first Assassin's Creed: Just when you feel like you've gotten the hang of it, it ends... there's just too little plot and things to do in the game! Otherwise, I like it. :D I'll be ready to challenge Ezio with Altaïr any day. ;)

~Will continue to survive through optimistic pessimismtm!~ ^^

I'm not the only one who doesn't like spoilers, so I'd be happy if everyone used the [ spoiler ]  [ /spoiler ] -htmls, I know I do...

Serph

Serph

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 25 posts

Chrono Cross, everyone hates that game but I just love it so much; my obviously biased point of view can't find any flaws in it because is clouded with love and nostalgia but trying to be objective it had too many characters, every time I played it I always used the same group so most of the characters remained unused, some of them, some of that enormous cast seemed interesting but like half of the characters were quite forgettable. One of the many things that I loved of that game is its soundtrack, it is simply amazing and the graphics were very good too, it seemed that it exploited the limited resources of the console quite well.    

CthulhuMessiah

CthulhuMessiah

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 26 posts

Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines

The first 3/5ths are so strong, it's unfortunate the game jumps the shark at the warrens. There's some good bits after it, but they all have the same problem that you can only shoot your way through, sneaking is significantly harder even if you're a Malkavian or a Nosferatu and talking is just impossible.

Zero King

Zero King

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 866 posts
  • LocationThe World I Designed

Assassin's Creed 4- A pirate and an assassin! But everything about the video game was mediocre. 

blue.monday

blue.monday

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 210 posts

Most Games and other works are far from perfect. I enjoyed the RTS Age of Empires III despite it's shitty balancing (faction x generally stronger than y etc.), laggy online play (perma delay), shitty 'treasure' and 'treasure' placement system (more or less randomly placed, but guarded bonuses like more resources or units and so on, which may be game changing) and several game breaking bugs (like the treasure guardian bug -> possible to farm/get treasures without much resistance). The game has even more flaws... oO

The ability to send stuff from the home city like Upgrades, Units or Badass Mercs for $$, Resources etc. etc. was damn nice, like you get for everything you do in the Game Experience and can send stuff from the home city for exp, what can be send depends on your chosen deck setup (you can pick cards and create decks outside of the RTS rounds per city level), the general balancing is okayish (but NOT acceptable for a pro/competetive game level), the ability to employ different tactics with different (or the same) factions is neat too, the game is easy to play but hard to master. The special (faction or even team tactics) are neat too, different game modes are nice too - 'rush', 'no attack for x minutes', deathmatch where you have lots of resources and maybe start full tech. Heck, there are some ways to win the game...

And the Map Generator is fucking amazing and the different map types with the native support units are nice (even more so in AOEII... - FE^^). The gameplay is pretty nice and all the options to see queues etc. are nice and most of the time Rock-Paper-Scissors works (for example: Cav<Heavy Inf<Light Inf<Cav>Can>Inf etc.)... Even the treasure system is nice, despite the ability to abuse the guardian bug and other related issues.

Edited by blue.monday, 14 October 2015 - 12:33 AM.

-fail

-acquire experience

-use experience to improve behaviour

-succeed
---------------------------------------------------
"The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to such a pass that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others. And having no respect he ceases to love, and in order to occupy and distract himself without love he gives way to passions and coarse pleasures, and sinks to bestiality in his vices, all from continual lying to other men and to himself."  --  Fyodor Dostoyevsky

science hasn't gone far enough  I  Wat zullen we drinken

ILikeYouLikeMe

ILikeYouLikeMe

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over the rainbow, Bluebirds fly. And the dreams that you dream of, Dreams really do come true

Most Games and other works are far from perfect. I enjoyed the RTS Age of Empires III despite it's shitty balancing (faction x generally stronger than y etc.), laggy online play (perma delay), shitty 'treasure' and 'treasure' placement system (more or less randomly placed, but guarded bonuses like more resources or units and so on, which may be game changing) and several game breaking bugs (like the treasure guardian bug -> possible to farm/get treasures without much resistance). The game has even more flaws... oO

The ability to send stuff from the home city like Upgrades, Units or Badass Mercs for $$, Resources etc. etc. was damn nice, like you get for everything you do in the Game Experience and can send stuff from the home city for exp, what can be send depends on your chosen deck setup (you can pick cards and create decks outside of the RTS rounds per city level), the general balancing is okayish (but NOT acceptable for a pro/competetive game level), the ability to employ different tactics with different (or the same) factions is neat too, the game is easy to play but hard to master. The special (faction or even team tactics) are neat too, different game modes are nice too - 'rush', 'no attack for x minutes', deathmatch where you have lots of resources and maybe start full tech. Heck, there are some ways to win the game...

And the Map Generator is fucking amazing and the different map types with the native support units are nice (even more so in AOEII... - FE^^). The gameplay is pretty nice and all the options to see queues etc. are nice and most of the time Rock-Paper-Scissors works (for example: Cav<Heavy Inf<Light Inf<Cav>Can>Inf etc.)... Even the treasure system is nice, despite the ability to abuse the guardian bug and other related issues.

Love AoE as well and you did a great job explaining a lot of the ins and outs of why the game works despite it's problems. 

ALSO, love the Immolation avatar :D. WC3 is my favorite RTS of all time, although I find myself playing SC2 far more often now.

L A W L I E T B O Y S | Listen up! Let's say you drink too much strawberry milk, and have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. But it's cold outside. You don't want to get up, but the urge to urinate is just too strong! You make up your mind to go! You run to the bathroom, stand in front of the toilet, and let loose! You think that all your life has led to this moment! But then you realize! It isn't the bathroom, you're still in bed! That feeling of lukewarm wetness spreads like wildfire! But you don't stop! You can't stop! That's what I'm talking about! That's the truth of the Strawberry Milky! DO YOU UNDERSTAND!?!!?

weAOOEj.png

blue.monday

blue.monday

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 210 posts

Thx, btw. I did play AOEIII on a competetive level, it was a mix between fun and frustration :D Ok, maybe more fun than frustration. Yeah, WC3 is also my fav RTS thanks to the custom map scene, without the WC3 editor there would be no stand alone LoL and probably no Dota (not like I am interested)... I still remember the death of Grom Hellscream, good old times. :D Aaaand WoW sucks imo, well, Raids and PvP may be fun. I did try the first SC, did not get me hooked, maybe it did not age well, I dunno, tried it like 8 years ago, never tried SCII :/. +1 for your love of WC3.

Edit: Ahhhh, a Berserk avatar, neat Oo. Hope they reach the magical elf land before my beard turns grey, got my first grey hair already...

Edited by blue.monday, 28 October 2015 - 03:23 AM.

-fail

-acquire experience

-succeed
"The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to such a pass that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others. And having no respect he ceases to love, and in order to occupy and distract himself without love he gives way to passions and coarse pleasures, and sinks to bestiality in his vices, all from continual lying to other men and to himself."  --  Fyodor Dostoyevsky

ILikeYouLikeMe

ILikeYouLikeMe

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over the rainbow, Bluebirds fly. And the dreams that you dream of, Dreams really do come true

Thx, btw. I did play AOEIII on a competetive level, it was a mix between fun and frustration :D Ok, maybe more fun than frustration. Yeah, WC3 is also my fav RTS thanks to the custom map scene, without the WC3 editor there would be no stand alone LoL and probably no Dota (not like I am interested)... I still remember the death of Grom Hellscream, good old times. :D Aaaand WoW sucks imo, well, Raids and PvP may be fun. I did try the first SC, did not get me hooked, maybe it did not age well, I dunno, tried it like 8 years ago, never tried SCII :/. +1 for your love of WC3.

Have you tried Heroes of the Storm yet? Very fun moba, a little bit faster than LoL but still pretty fun. PLUS they kept some heroes from the old WC3 dota scene (Putrid = Stitches and Falstad). I never enjoyed WoW either! I usually don't like mmorpg though. SC2 is fun, Idt its anywhere near WC3 but I like it. It revolves a lot around macro, which puts off alot of hardcore moba and WC3 players. Micro is still important, but cant win you games like in wc3. Plus counter strategies don't work as well, but I still enjoy it. Plus it's cheater free so I have more fun in ladder rather worrying about hackers on wc3.

L A W L I E T B O Y S | Listen up! Let's say you drink too much strawberry milk, and have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. But it's cold outside. You don't want to get up, but the urge to urinate is just too strong! You make up your mind to go! You run to the bathroom, stand in front of the toilet, and let loose! You think that all your life has led to this moment! But then you realize! It isn't the bathroom, you're still in bed! That feeling of lukewarm wetness spreads like wildfire! But you don't stop! You can't stop! That's what I'm talking about! That's the truth of the Strawberry Milky! DO YOU UNDERSTAND!?!!?

weAOOEj.png

blue.monday

blue.monday

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 210 posts

Heroes of the Storm? Nah, I'll pass, guess I am still traumatized from the all the beating I received in Dota and I also heard that it's worse than LoL and Dota for various reasons. Maybe I'll max my Hardcore Scion in Path of Exile once my DSL is ready in a week... The competetive RTS time is (almost) over for me, kinda lost interest (years ago), but a bigger focus on macro than on micro sounds fine too me since I am too lazy and I cannot be arsed to hold 300apm, it's a pain and feels like a chore, I want fun and not work my fingers off. The part about the counter strategies not working sounds kinda bad... Well, it's not like I'll try SCII, but maybe I'll try the new Unreal Tournament.

Did you see the Barbarian AI in AoE-FE?

Edit: With the beating in Dota I mean WC3 Dota (ofc! :P)

Edited by blue.monday, 28 October 2015 - 03:44 AM.

-fail

-acquire experience

-succeed

ILikeYouLikeMe

ILikeYouLikeMe

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

I will probably always play some RTS games for fun, like Civ and AoE. SC is another game where micro is important but nowhere near the level of wc3. I think its a great game, always recommend it for rts fans. Isnt Unreal tournament a shooter :/?

Barbian on AoE...I remember playing a few 1v1 games with it. Hard 1v1 games because they can hurt you with a couple strategies. I think the best counter is baiting and trying to lock the AI into an early push. And hoping you can survive long enough to control tech game. It's been a loooong time since I've played AoE though.

weAOOEj.png

blue.monday

blue.monday

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 210 posts

Yep, same goes for me, I'll also keep playing RTS and similar games, I just dropped the competetive pvp part. And Civ should be more like a turn based strategy instead of real time one, so TBS vs RTS or something like that. I played some Civ and some Civ clones, I never enjoyed them :/. Yeah, UT is a shooter, but the series is one of my favs. Ok, the last Unreal Tournament was shit, but maybe the one in making right now will turn out decent, who knows (would multiplayer once in a while, UT04 was awesome). Yeah, the awesome Barbarian AI... It's awesome but sitll an AI... Awesome! Oo

Edited by blue.monday, 28 October 2015 - 01:05 PM.

-fail

-acquire experience

-succeed

Jorg

Jorg

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 838 posts

Heroes of might and magic IV.. Generally considered one of the worst in the series, yet I quite like the campaigns and the magic system. 

The expansions are utterly worthless additions though. Not surprising since the game was made just around the time 3DO went bankrupt.

Will of NGE

Will of NGE

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,701 posts
  • LocationGeofront
Hmmm... Honestly, I have no idea of a game that has flaws and yet I love it.
Hmmm... I can't think of anything.

fkq1S2q.jpg

Gif Response Unit

Spoiler

koregistal

koregistal

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Some games I can list off the top off of my head are pretty popular for being flawed but still enjoyable. Games like Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, but one I enjoy mostly but can very easily see the flaws in the game is Dangan Ronpa: Another Episode. The story is alright, the character interactions can be cute or disturbing and that's the real meat of any game in that series, the characters. Gameplay has never really been the best with Dangan Ronpa, some puzzles are challenging in the first two games, and the interrogation tempo...thing was neat with the music and character arguments was pretty simple but it was alright. Dangan Ronpa Another Episode has some of the most repetitive and monotonous exploration and combat from any game I've seen or played in a long time. It's hard for me to recommend playing, let alone watching a let's play because you have to sit through the boring bits of gameplay and roaming around to get to the good story bits! Still think the game's story is fun and I'm a sucker for the art design in Dangan Ronpa games.

Edited by koregistal, 09 November 2015 - 06:23 PM.

6dca763c6c1143ca5bbca4a797607fb1.png

Endrak

Endrak

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationThe Frozen North

Castle Story. All I do is sit there and build castles. So many castles.

Kaw-ah-ee. Dess-oo caww. Colon, three. Colon, three. Tilde tilde tilde tilde tilde tilde tilde tilde tilde tilde tilde tilde tilde tilde tilde tilde

Forgettable

Forgettable

Potato

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationA home that I could die in
Dark Souls is pretty flawed, but it's those flaws that make it amazing and one of my all time favorite games

Coma Culture

Coma Culture

Potato

• Members
  • 109 posts

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits comes to mind. I loved it, even though it was wierd and not all "there."

Um, Kingdom Hearts: Recoded, too. It was definitely the worst game in the series, but it was the worst game in a good series with fun mechanics, so i enjoyed it.

Suikoden Tierkreis, i liked a lot. The motor mouth of the main character was a total deterrent to most people, but i liked it a lot. It was different from the regular, and gave the main character a sense of energy.

Lastly, i'm playing through Tales of Zestiria right now. I'd be lying if i said it wasn't flawed, but i haven't been having more fun playing it than anything else. It is really, really cool, and appeals to the PS1-PS2 Era RPGs i grew up with.

Newest Project: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1388475073/regeria-hope-honest-corrupt-lawyer-visual-novel?ref=newest

Regeria Hope, a Phoenix Wright-style visual novel free-ware game set in the courtroom. Pleasee check it out!

Sir Flash™

Sir Flash™

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationGaming & Streaming

Elder Scrolls Online and League Of Legends.

On one side there is ESO, a very popular MMO at the moment that is gaining more steam by the day, but why is it not beating WoW/Dark Souls 2 (3 comes out in March 2016)? Well for one Zenimax (the developers heading the game; Yes Bethesda is not over it, just provides them the resources), do not listen to the majority. This is something that makes games fall apart, where the community of a game is neglected forcing players/gamers to leave it for good! They have many ample opportunities to do a ton of things, most notably: In-House Alliance Dueling, Damage Calculator (for the console), Cross Platform Servers (which they did have, but decided not to use them) and balancing (a problem many gaming companies have). All that they care about it seems to me is releasing cosmetics that do nothing but make you waste money. Not to mention numerous glitches.

Then there is LoL: The Most popular game in the world today. With a huge daily player-base of 32 million per day and over 228 million players total world wide, they are one of the biggest establishments and its all been done by a young company in Riot Games (6 years old). But where do they go wrong? 1.) They have been for many years now been trying to "force" the toxic out of players, when in reality, if you are as big as you are, that is close to impossible. They have taken good steps to hinder it but, lets be real here, you can never really stop it, every large AAA game has this issue. 2.) Balancing, when it comes to it, they are just as bad as Activision with CoD. Rather then toning down a item or mastery that has made multiple champions strong, nerf the champ then a patch later nerf the item and mastery (RIP Swain).

Other then everything I just pointed out, I love both of these games to death, including all the people and friends who play them. Many memories I have with the both of these games! 

Musician King's SoundCloud: 

p4dJLo8.gif

SON, NIC, SHAKES!!

Spoiler

2hot4you

2hot4you

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationThe Wild

WoW

even though WoD sucked, im kinda 5 years late to the party so everything is still rather new, and theres always something to do

and i just cant forgot about all the time i spend on it :/

aovnZo7.png