Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Got a very nice premise, but that's it...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Hexxus

Hexxus

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

The MC is to unlikeable, it's not the plain face, or the submissive character, not even the low self-esteem, it's the ego-centric that I hate. She basically let everything run it's course just because she was embarrassed. It's either one of the most delusional MC out there, or it's just bad writing. Even a little kid would know to seek authority when there is a problem, but NO, not her, she would fix everything on her own, even if there is a chance the whole country will burn, as long as she doesn't have to be embarrassed. The way I see it, if the writer wrote it like this, s/he can basically writes anything she want without any regard to planning or logic and just push it on us with little or no effort, just like the start of this story.

I know that these kind of stories is popular now, and I know that it's mainly marketed to teenagers, but that doesn't means that the author can write anything. There is a lot of examples of LN that have very decent structure and mature story telling and characters, not just some wish-fulfilling story that feeds the author fantasies. So once again, I'm just gonna say that it's bad writing.

Edited by Hexxus, 20 July 2015 - 09:38 AM.

islaeria

islaeria

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

What are some mangas that you recommend?

The premise hooked me. Is there some other manga with a young female lead that is average with a plot that revolves around a misunderstanding of beauty = power?

I'm currently reading Kasane.

Also, I don't understand what you mean when you say that the main character is egoistic. She does mention that she didn't want to say it because she was embarrassed, but in the first chapter we learn that the people and the higher ups are happy with the other character being the holy maiden. Her beauty sooths them (as the priestess said, it's a relief that the holy maiden is so special and beautiful) and MC knows this deeply (as mentioned by her in the first chapter). Also, I'd have to say that in terms of trying to fix everything on her own, that's actually a common problem that the majority of people have. People start a problem, and a lot of times they don't ask for help until poop really hits the fan. I'd also like to point out that this sort of thinking is rather common in many shoujo and shounen manga, rather than just a new thing.

I don't think that this is bad writing; it seems that this manga is taking the classic magical - shoujo "beauty is good" idea and combining them with cliché shounen moves (trying to fix something makes it worse before it gets better). Really, this manga is not trying to be a better version of those, it's just a twist.

Edited by islaeria, 09 August 2015 - 12:24 AM.

Hexxus

Hexxus

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

If it's about other world traveler girl that is plain, i'd recommend Kanata Kara, and evidently one of my favorite manga growing up.

For that egoistic thing, It's very unnatural, I don't think people in real life would act like that, just like when she was confronted by that other guy that seems to know what happened, she just brushed him aside because she is more curious about the development between her friend and that knight.

EDIT: just finish reading the latest chapter, i retract my statement, it's not bad writing, the character is intentionaly written that way I guess.

Edited by Hexxus, 14 August 2015 - 05:37 AM.