Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

The LN Review

light novels recommendations ish

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Yan Q

Yan Q

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 890 posts
  • Locationwith your lover
This REVIEW Thread is a companion topic to Recommendations and Current Reads
Open to both Professional and Amateur LNs

Batoto has a great Recommendations thread, nurtured and cultivated by Xag. We also have a somewhat active thread for our Current Reads, which had originally planned to encapsulate reviews, but no longer does^. This thread is to help fill the gap between finishing a read, and recommending the read. Both threads have some discussion and reviews spread out between pages of titles and links.

In order to keep this thread easy to navigate, please put the title in large font. If you are not posting a review, and want to ask more in depth questions about a particular review, don't forget to quote the original post so that the user can get a notification, and to keep questions/discussions short or in spoilers. It goes without saying, spoilers should be in spoilers, or if part of the review, mention it at the beginning.

I've posted a review skeleton with the basic format and some questions to get you started. You don't have to answer everything, pick and choose what applies to the story.
DO NOT give an unfair review simply because it was/wasn't updated frequently.
DO NOT give an unfair review simply because it had tags/plot devices you liked/disliked.
DO mention the above, but don't let it dictate the entire review.

SKELETON
Subheadings with asterix (*) are recommended.
Remember, you don't need to answer all of the questions. These are just to get you started.

Spoiler

I will post my first review on a separate post so as to keep the OP separate. And so I won't be posting my own review for a few more minutes/half hour

Spoiler

Edited by Yan Q, 03 June 2015 - 05:13 PM.

yes, i bite

fp | ig

Yan Q

Yan Q

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 890 posts

Fantasia

Author : Eunice5656 from Royal Road
Score* : 8/10
LN Status* :Ongoing / Updated fortnightly-monthly
Reading Status : Up-to Date (and desperate for more)
Genre : Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy and Virtual Reality (VR)

General/Overall Plot* : Arwyn, white collar worker by day and slightly insane animal-tamer by night, has recently acquired Fantasia, a VRMMORPG. It centres mainly around Arwyn and her adventures in this supposedly 99% real environment (but really, how realistic is a game that has dwarves and elves and mermaids), and there is definitely no clear storyline. There is a general progression of self-improvement by Arwyn (MC) and her fellow gamers and pets, but that is only to be expected of a VR gaming story.
Spoiler

Recommendations* : Yes. I 100% recommend it. It takes a certain type of reader to really enjoy it, but even for the average reader, it's a fun, quick, story to tide you over until you find that super serious one. The style is consistent (unlike a lot of other Amateur LNs), so if you like it from Chapter 1, then you're sure to love it in Chapter 31 (vice versa for dislikes).

Hope you liked the review. It got a long-winded, and.. I was just too excited. I'll try to keep the next ones short.
I found this one on Xag's thread, of course.

End Online

Author : D. Wolfin
Score* :
9/10
LN Status* :Ongoing / Updated Monthly
Reading Status : Up-to Date
Genre : Adventure, Slight Drama, Fantasy and Virtual Reality (VR)

General/Overall Plot* : A 19 year old construction worker and high school dropout, Hollis' life revolved around the care and education of his two younger sisters. After a debilitating workplace accident occurs leaving him out of a job and quadriplegic. Offered an old V-Link headset by the hospital for rehabilitation and trauma control, he escapes into the VR
Of course, that's not all. It's one of the better plot progressions I have read in an amateur LN. The author seems to plan their chapters in advance, instead of writing as they want. In exchange for a little extra update time, you're given a great cohesive story that links the last few chapters with hints given from day one!

Spoiler

Recommendations* : Yes. It's a bit of the clumsy lone wolf *cough* with a series of good adventures. Time passes fairly quickly in the first few chapters, before you know it, the MC has been playing the game a few months.

Spoiler

Edited by Yan Q, 06 June 2015 - 01:08 AM.

yes, i bite

fp | ig

Yan Q

Yan Q

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 890 posts

Realm of Learning: Adventures of Eternium

Author : RajaDeva of Royal Road

Score* : 6.5/10
LN Status* : Ongoing / Updated Often
Reading Status : Dropped
Genre : Harem, Smut, Adventure, Virtual Reality (VR)

General/Overall Plot* : You follow Ezekiel, a smart, handsome, and extremely lucky bachelor with a penchant for polyamory and cheesy lines. From the get go, it seemed to be an exciting adventure, even though things always seem to be going well for him. The promise of adventure is quickly halted after Ch 14 where the plot changes drastically and instead follows Ezekiel's female conquests and sexual exploits.

Spoiler

Recommendations* : Would I recommend it? No, I wouldn't. If you're a fan of fan-service and harem fictions with a little fantasy thrown in, give it a go. The first half is great, the second half not so great. Without the first half, it would be a 6

Spoiler

Edited by Yan Q, 06 June 2015 - 12:57 AM.

yes, i bite

fp | ig

Yan Q

Yan Q

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 890 posts

Aevitas: I am not an NPC

Author : Aspirer of Royal Road

Score* : 7.5~8/10
LN Status* : Ongoing / Updated Irregularly
Reading Status : Up to date / Tempted to drop
Genre : Adventure, Virtual Reality (VR), Romance,

General/Overall Plot* : Tobi is a reluctant gamer coerced into playing Aevitas by his family, friends, and girlfriend, but and to make things worse, from his very first login, something horrible happened - his consciousness was trapped. Albeit not a very original plot, with the addition of family drama and various interesting arcs, it becomes a worthwhile read.
Spoiler

Recommendations* : Yes I recommend it. Give it a go, the Chess Arc is especially fun to read.

yes, i bite

fp | ig