Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

MangaUpdates-like site for following light novel releases

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

fake-name

fake-name

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

I've been working on a MangaUpdates-like site for following a large number of light/web-novel series. It's user-editable, and has reading list functionality so you can check and see at-a glance if you have available releases.

Untitled.png

In particular, one thing it actually does (that MangaUpdates doesn't) is sort releases properly, e.g. by volume, chapter, and sub-chapter-fragment.

I don't host any of the content locally, and each release has a direct backlink to the translator's page where the release is.

The whole project is also completely open source.

---

Questions people probably have:

The releases so far are provided by scraping and doing some guesswork with RSS feeds. It's.... not ideal, but it's functional. Users can also add releases, but I don't have a lot of them at the moment.

The western language stuff is also just TBD stubs so far, because I haven't completely decided how I'm going to implement it.

Yes, lots of the data is partial, and there are some duplicate entries with slightly different titles. A mechanism for merging duplicates is near the top of my todo list.

In any event, I hope some people find it useful.

----

I realize it looks a lot like I'm trying to step on Aho-Updates toes, and I really want to be clear that I'm not trying to displace it, just provide another resource. I specifically have no advertising, nor do I plan to add any.

This is actually a project that the early groundwork was laid for well back in 2014, it just took a while for me to decide to redesign everything from my silly internal tool to something I'm willing to let be web-facing.

Mostly, it was both something I wanted, and a good excuse to experiment and learn a bunch of new(er) web technologies.

Edited by fake-name, 31 May 2015 - 07:15 PM.

Drakan

Drakan

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires, Argentina

Question/suggestion:

does this include links to the sites that host the translations, or better yet, to the translated chapters themselves? do you plan on the possiblilty of including them? (this is my main problem with mangaupdates, not a crippling issue, but if the site is meant to make following stuff easier, might as well go all the way).

fake-name

fake-name

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

Question/suggestion:

does this include links to the sites that host the translations, or better yet, to the translated chapters themselves? do you plan on the possiblilty of including them? (this is my main problem with mangaupdates, not a crippling issue, but if the site is meant to make following stuff easier, might as well go all the way).

Did... did you look?

Yes, see the "view" links on each item. It's a direct link to the release in question.

Edited by fake-name, 01 June 2015 - 12:39 AM.

Drakan

Drakan

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 49 posts

Did... did you look?

Yes, see the "view" links on each item. It's a direct link to the release in question.

Oops... I reccomend adding a link to the site itself so idiots like me don't think they can't find anyting while they're actually in github all along.

Andrez-ssi

Andrez-ssi

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 27 posts

that seems like a great idea, especially considering the debate regarding novels at MU. please do post the link

Drakan

Drakan

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 49 posts

that seems like a great idea, especially considering the debate regarding novels at MU. please do post the link

There's a debate regarding novels at MU? I don't go there much but what's going on?

Also, here's the link to the site: https://www.wlnupdates.com/

TUSF

TUSF

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 20 posts

MangaUpdates basically plans to remove any novel that does not have manga or anime relation.