Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

New Image Distribution Network

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationHere of course!

Hello everyone!

Since the last announcement about image servers, I have unexpected and actually received an offer. RKenshin has generously offered us to use his (business) network to distribute the images.

What this means:

• More distribution nodes, including Asia! The biggest boost in speeds should be felt by Asian users as the CDN offers nodes there--something we couldn't do due to costs until now. (Side note: optimization is not yet complete, still copying over some files to singapore location)
  • Reduced cost! Over long term, if we are able to load more and more onto RKenshin's CDN, we'll be able to reduce the server costs that we currently pay, which in turn means even less ads that need to be on this site. :)

How to use it:

• When reading, press the gear icon cog.png and select CDN, then submit.

Please note that this is a testing phase, but should be fully functional. Any issues you see with this should be reported here so that issues can be resolved.

I would like to welcome everyone to try it out and tell us how it works.

Sinn

Sinn

Potato

• The Company
  • 117 posts
  • Locationof poiltical turmoil
Hey Grumpy!

And First! XD

Even forums is occasionally slow for me. Hope this will solve it :)

Thanks RKenshin!

我们身体的发育虽然是非法阻止的,但是那并不代表我们需要停止幼时的思想法或欢乐游戏的性各,否则您可决得您人生很无聊。

Project 咸鱼 - Metrobus (cleaner)

僕たちの世界が進化する。

Mad Hero

Mad Hero

Potato

• Contributor
  • 105 posts

Nice!

Could you tell us the locations of the CDN nodes?

Everath

Everath

Lord of Longcats

• Contrib Mods
  • 120 posts
  • LocationLongcat Universe

Sank yuuuuu RKenshin~!

androssi_02_broken.png

Yan Q

Yan Q

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 890 posts
  • Locationwith your lover
Whoah, that's great! Trying it out ASAP.
Will RK be able to keep providing his servers indefinitely?

yes, i bite

fp | ig

Daktyl

Daktyl

Discord King

• Contrib Mods
  • 825 posts
  • LocationMI, USA

Whoah, that's great! Trying it out ASAP.
Will RK be able to keep providing his servers indefinitely?

Given that it's a business class CDN, I'm assuming he has more customers that have been on it longer than bato.to (I doubt Gumpy would trust a start-up) so I'm gonna guess it's gonna last for a while. Not forever, but a long while.

Also, thanks RKenshin! And thanks Grumpy for doing all the techy stuff behind the scenes to make Batoto better!!

(side-note: new follows when? >.<)

My words are my own, and do not represent Batoto in any way, shape, or form unless otherwise stated in the post itself ^.^

RKenshin

RKenshin

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts

Hey Grumpy!

And First! XD

Even forums is occasionally slow for me. Hope this will solve it :)

Thanks RKenshin!

Only the images are on the CDN for now, forums not coming on board for now, maybe in the future?

Nice!

Could you tell us the locations of the CDN nodes?

Singapore, Hong Kong, Los Angeles, New York, London

Given that it's a business class CDN, I'm assuming he has more customers that have been on it longer than bato.to (I doubt Gumpy would trust a start-up) so I'm gonna guess it's gonna last for a while. Not forever, but a long while.

Also, thanks RKenshin! And thanks Grumpy for doing all the techy stuff behind the scenes to make Batoto better!!

(side-note: new follows when? >.<)

Actually the CDN itself is a new service we're trying to offer commercially, we've been around for 15 years. It's been tested with a high traffic low bandwidth site for the past year, and this year I figured we move towards high bandwidth testing and Batoto fits the profile nicely.

===

As Grumpy mentioned, drop me a PM with details of the problem if you encounter any issues while using the CDN and I'll work with you directly.

Samhill

Samhill

Potato

• Members
  • 151 posts

What would be the best option for USA? Auto? CDN? Individual?

Edited by Samhill, 23 May 2015 - 08:33 AM.

"So round, so firm, so fully packed." - Daffy Duck, not talking about what you probably think he's talking about.

zetsu

zetsu

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts

Tried it as I'm in Asia, and it works perfectly (as of right now). At the very least, its ways better than the other servers. Now I no longer have to deal with slow loading images.

Thanks RKenshin!

RKenshin

RKenshin

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts

What would be the best option for USA? Auto? CDN? Individual?

Stress test the CDN if you can.

Tried it as I'm in Asia, and it works perfectly (as of right now). At the very least, its ways better than the other servers. Now I no longer have to deal with slow loading images.
Thanks RKenshin!

No problem.

Darkness

Darkness

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBatoto.net

Woah! I am in London and the images load in less than 0.3 seconds (arbitrary number, basically its next to instant).

Thanks RKenshin, needless to say I am going to be "stress" testing the server now :D

Kyujyu

Kyujyu

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Southeast Asia

Wow! I'm seeing a signifcant increase in loading speed, before this I just thought it loading slowly because of bato.to high quality images.

Thanks a lot RKenshin.

RKenshin

RKenshin

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts

Wow! I'm seeing a signifcant increase in loading speed, before this I just thought it loading slowly because of bato.to high quality images.

Thanks a lot RKenshin.

"increase in loading speed", or "decrease in loading speed" ?

Sinn

Sinn

Potato

• The Company
  • 117 posts
  • Locationof poiltical turmoil

Only the images are on the CDN for now, forums not coming on board for now, maybe in the future?

I'm not really sure but the whole of bato.to is difficult to load at times. It's probably just me.

I'm probably just noticing it more on the forums since I tend to stay on forums more.

我们身体的发育虽然是非法阻止的,但是那并不代表我们需要停止幼时的思想法或欢乐游戏的性各,否则您可决得您人生很无聊。

Project 咸鱼 - Metrobus (cleaner)

僕たちの世界が進化する。

ryvrdrgn14

ryvrdrgn14

Potato

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

You mean it wasn't because my internet was bad all this time? 

"To have so many creative people who can tell wonderful stories is a blessing."

"Not being one of them is a curse."

Posted Image

Deviantart Page | Youtube Channel

Mushiren

Mushiren

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • LocationFloating about
Oh wow, you weren't kidding. This is a significant increase in speed for Asian readers.

Thanks Grumpy and RKenshin!

Cx1SVSV.png

Kyujyu

Kyujyu

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Southeast Asia

"increase in loading speed", or "decrease in loading speed" ?

Opps :P

Samhill

Samhill

Potato

• Members
  • 151 posts

I think I killed it. I got a potato twice in the last few minutes.

"So round, so firm, so fully packed." - Daffy Duck, not talking about what you probably think he's talking about.

RKenshin

RKenshin

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts

I think I killed it. I got a potato twice in the last few minutes.

Potato? Screenshot and traceroute to cdn.bato.to plz. :)

Samhill

Samhill

Potato

• Members
  • 151 posts

Potato? Screenshot and traceroute to cdn.bato.to plz. :)

Batoto's 404. It's better now, but I got "waiting for cdn.bato.to" for a while.

Hmmm. Seems to work better on the beta reader. Just now switched from beta to regular and Chrome had to wait for CDN again. Now back to normal.