Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

The Web Novel is Over! How did you feel about it?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Poll: Mushoku Tensei's ending (195 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you like the way it ended?

1. I liked it. It was satisfactory. (133 votes [68.21%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 68.21%

2. I thought more could have been added. (44 votes [22.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.56%

3. I didn't like the ending at all. (18 votes [9.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.23%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Zenith_Tempest

Zenith_Tempest

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 83 posts

Obviously, there are going to be SPOILERS. 

Don't even bother reading this if you plan on reading the web novels.

So Mushoku Tensei has finally come to an end, and I've got to say, I'm pretty content with the way it ends. It sets up for a sequel quite nicely while still feeling very satisfying. I didn't feel like they left anything out, and I didn't feel like we needed more. I'd be perfectly okay with this story being laid to rest, honestly.

What about you guys? Do you still want more?

Disabling all limiters.

tumblr_nld3jcEGtn1r7hrmoo2_500.gif

Twisted13

Twisted13

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 45 posts
  • LocationPlanet Earth

I think only Rudeos story has ended but yeah i feel so empty

~A   B I G    L I G H T   N O V E L   L O V E R.~

lygarx

lygarx

Potato

• Members
  • 170 posts

More will be added later as a side story. The universe continues. Other characters have already gotten a novel of their own. The missing years will have their story made in the later future.

Zenith_Tempest

Zenith_Tempest

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 83 posts

Sorry, I'll be a little bit more specific. The main story following Rudeus, Mushoku Tensei, has ended. If there were to be another story set in that world, I'm sure it wouldn't be called Mushoku Tensei (Jobless Reincarnation), since the main character would most likely be Akihito or one of Rudeus's descendants (probably Lara). I know that the redundancy chapters are being translated by Kaezar in his spare time, but those don't really have bearing on the main plot, though I'll still read them and learn a bit more about that world.

Disabling all limiters.

Ene-II

Ene-II

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
I'm quite happy with the ending, I kinda felt empty that's it's actually over.
Still though, there is the redundancy chapter to look forward to.

Animefan20

Animefan20

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

Happy and sad as the author made sure to pretty much wrap up the MC's story

neorasp

neorasp

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 27 posts
lets keep the discussion here stale until after norm wedding has been translated mm key~

not that i think it will shed new light or provide any important plot point but who knows.

i can't wait for the sequel~

Ghost of B@ttosai

Ghost of B@ttosai

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

it'll be more satisfying if it portrayed how Eris waiting him just like how Sylphy and Roxy did with Future Rudy

kenshin8671

kenshin8671

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

I was honestly kinda disappointed with it. The whole last volume was amazing, but the ending itself just felt sorta rushed and left way too many unanswered questions and unresolved plot threads. Presumably all of that stuff will be wrapped up in a sequel, but I would have much rather had that closure in the original story, even if it meant making it twice as long. Especially since I'm not a big fan of Akito from what I've seen. Would be interesting if Lara ends up being the main character though.

vapor

vapor

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 60 posts

I was honestly kinda disappointed with it. The whole last volume was amazing, but the ending itself just felt sorta rushed and left way too many unanswered questions and unresolved plot threads. Presumably all of that stuff will be wrapped up in a sequel, but I would have much rather had that closure in the original story, even if it meant making it twice as long. Especially since I'm not a big fan of Akito from what I've seen. Would be interesting if Lara ends up being the main character though.

Yeah it definitely seemed to be. It started jumping decades into the future and then sort of casually mentioned decades worth of plot in passing. Rudeus never did seem to develop more magic, just kind of stopped with what he had at that point.

But I guess it was already really long, and the author decided he was finished with it and wanted to move on. I enjoyed reading it though, the first light novel I've ever read actually, although I'm not sure what the difference is between a web novel and a light novel.

There does appear to be a need for a sequel. Probably if it starts up, it'll be mentioned on here somewhere so I'll follow it from there.

Alchaeus

Alchaeus

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts

Yeah it definitely seemed to be. It started jumping decades into the future and then sort of casually mentioned decades worth of plot in passing. Rudeus never did seem to develop more magic, just kind of stopped with what he had at that point.

But I guess it was already really long, and the author decided he was finished with it and wanted to move on. I enjoyed reading it though, the first light novel I've ever read actually, although I'm not sure what the difference is between a web novel and a light novel.

There does appear to be a need for a sequel. Probably if it starts up, it'll be mentioned on here somewhere so I'll follow it from there.

The author still has plans to continue on the Mushoku Tensei universe beyond the main story of Rudeus.  There are what are being called the "Redundancy" chapters, which are just stories of things that happened between the time Rudeus beat Gisu to the end of the main story.  I will copy the list that the translator site has that the author has said he is planning to write.

From the translator's site Kaezar Translations

http://kaezartranslations.blogspot.com

List of things he will write :

• Norn’s story → We’ve already got this.
  • Aisha’s story → We’ll probably get this next, maybe Aisha’s marriage(it’s not written Aisha’s marriage story just Aisha’s story)
  • Zenith & Lilya’s story
  • Kid’s story → He’s thinking about writing a different story as a spin-off for 1 or 2 kids
  • Family vacation → Showing the grandkids to Claire-obaasan in the Holy Kingdom of Milis, swimming in a lake, going to a hot springs in Blue Dragon Mountain range with Talhand as guide.
  • Izolte’s marriage hunting story
  • President’s everyday life → Along with Lil’ Elf-chan and Alek
  • Nanahoshi having a meal
  • Going to the Holy Land of Swords once again
  • Magic Tournament in the Magic University
  • Zanoba’s automaton completion story
  • Luke & Ariel’s afterwards

List of things he’s undecided about :

• Dungeon capture by Rudi and 3 wives + α
  • Julie’s parents story
  • Adventuring in the Heaven Continent
  • Vera & Sierra after story

Different from Redundancy volume, things that will get their own title in time :

• Shinohara Akito and Kuroki Seiji story
  • The mischievous young life of Perugius-sama(Laplace war story)
  • Legend of Kishirika and Badigadi(The second Human-Demon War)
  • Oldeus’ story(Oldeus = Old + Rudeus = Future Rudeus)
  • The mystery behind the relationship between Dragon race and Hitogami
  • Tale of the Black Wolf’s fang
  • The legend of how Lara and Leo comes to be the saviour
  • What happened to Nanahoshi in the end
  • Norn-chan’s heart-warming school days

So there is still a lot of good things to come in the Mushoku Tensei universe, and I look forward to it.

Zenith_Tempest

Zenith_Tempest

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 83 posts

Yeah, I follow Kaezar's blog, so I know what's coming up. But the main storyline has finally ended, and I thought it was done pretty well.

Disabling all limiters.

vapor

vapor

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 60 posts

There's a lot left to this universe. The problem is adapting it to mainstream anime to really continue it. It's a bit too adult in many ways, but if you remove a lot of that, well it's no longer the same thing anymore either.

Of course the Akihito story, what happens to Nanohashi, the Lana and Leo stuff really needs to be covered to complete the story. There aren't too many series that do create their own worlds and have multiple generations, as this has been set up for. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Romance of the Three Kingdoms are probably two major ones (I have not read the latter admittedly, but have heard of it of course).

Of course in American media there was Star Wars, which was 2 generations and did spawn a world too.

We will see, I will keep following this even though I have very little interest in the manga adaptation just to keep abreast with the news.

Zenith_Tempest

Zenith_Tempest

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 83 posts
I honestly follow the manga just to see the characters. I'm disappointed by the fact that the characters don't get their own perspective-something that begins to occur a LOT later on, to the point where it's unavoidable. Paul, Sylphy, Roxy, Eris, and I even believe characters like Ruijerd too. And I found that style of writing to be very good, it expanded the characters and made the world more immersive, because it wasn't just centered around one character at all times.

Unfortunately, the mangaka seems to have foregone this motion and has chosen instead to draw Rudeus's past self-something that was purposefully left out of the LN illustrations, and something that is unnecessary. I think an anime adaptation wouldn't be impossible, especially since the writing doesn't get too detailed. I would worry more about how it's directed.

Disabling all limiters.

vapor

vapor

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 60 posts

Well the manga isn't getting translated anyway it seems. I dunno, I really enjoyed the web novel, but I get this feeling that MT is not going to become popular. It's very niche really. It's probably one of those things that, if it gets popular, it will be like 20 years after the writer dies lol.

Jdog

Jdog

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationWest Chicago, IL

I think the ending could have been better, but it was still decent.

Zenith_Tempest

Zenith_Tempest

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 83 posts
I think the fact that he has so much subject material shows that he really knows what he's doing with his setting and is just adding more to flesh it out. You don't see that much in web novels (just look at Tate no Yuusha which is also complete).

Disabling all limiters.

youkissass

youkissass

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts

I'm just finished the web novel. The story and overall concept as well some of the ideas were very good and I enjoyed the novel very much but I was also very disappointed in the story as well. Overall, the so called genius mage became somewhat disappointing, he had abnormally large mana pool but as far as how powerful he got from it was truly disappointing, basically he seemed like a genius from how he could reach saint level at such early age and then later when he learns king magic he learns it in one look, as well as when he creates his own magic electric and how he learns Ran Ma so quickly was all great but he frequently when he is in battle later in the story, he barely does anything there is almost no true one vs one epic battle either. When this novel started it out there also a possibility of him learning Flying magic but he didn't bother learning and all the saint magic sounded useless in terms of fighting one vs one as well as king magic having to use it after using saint magic was bit lame and he never really used emperor or god level magic at all, with the exception of Nuclear or something when he was fighting the Dragon God. The fact that he couldn't wear fighting spirit was never explained at least I don't remember reading about why maybe I missed that part but the way he got over it by making magic arm sounded cool, but even when he is equipped with it he never truly seem all that strong and pretty much all he ever does in fight is use stone canon.

To me, in my opinion, this novel would have been more enjoyable for me if the main character actually got stronger, instead it was more like him just going around talking to lot of different people begging for their help and most of the people he actually manage to defeat is small fry. I was really excited when he grown up a bit more and finished off stray red dragon by himself as well as showing his magic power against Babadi but in the end it never really grew from that, instead it was just lot of mind games. There is lot of inconsistence logic in the story as well. Like the fact that he keeps saying that he basically killed North Emperor Auber and the prime minister, and that was his first murdering of a person, was really weird, he keeps saying the one who basically killed them was him despite the fact that Eris was the one who actually landed the finishing blow, if you follow his logic he already killed plenty of slave traders when he let Reijurd kill them. The fact that he gets scared of war when he fight against beings that are Seven Major World Power? Like 5000 people scared him? I basically got sick and tired of how this guy gets scared by every little thing, he basically rarely actually do anything by himself. I personally really like it when the protagonist becomes powerful or is powerful from beginning. This novel, I thought I kept seeming glimpse of that but it actually never came to be. All that potential to be something great but never came to be. And with main character being a mage I thought there would be lot of cool magic fighting but this novel's fighting was truly boring I would just even skip of the battle because most of the time it was just main character cowering in fear or watching people fight while he shoots stone canon time to time.

EDIT::

After thinking about it I came to the conclusion this novel was half a$$ed done and isn't very polished work, lot of flaws but it is web novel, I don't think there was actual editor, probably? No idea but I really love the concept and overall story, just the finer details and character development in terms of power was really just pathetic. I really hate how a boy genius became nothing, terrible magics with limited combat magic used ( literally stone canon every day + with MKII he just shots over stone cannon ).

Edited by youkissass, 22 September 2015 - 02:06 PM.

vapor

vapor

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 60 posts

Well we'll see how the LN turns out.

I can see where you're coming from on a lot of your criticisms, and in fact I'm sure I've had similar ones when I read it myself (been awhile). But some of your criticisms I don't think are valid.

There's nothing wrong with a story where the main character isn't overpowered and just keeps leveling up. Plenty of people actually criticize that shonen formula of the unbeatable MC that just keeps getting stronger and is a fighting prodigy. I can say that is a positive that this went differently, made it unique because of that.

But we all have different tastes, likes and dislikes. And also this is why it's nice to read a lot of different things. I am actually a huge fan of Fairy Tail and a lot of other shonens like that, I get my fix for that style from those sources. MT was a nice bit of variety for me. A lot of people actually like the MCs that use smarts moreso to win. Like the Mx0 MC, as well as Joseph Joestar in Battle Tendency. Spider-man was also generally underpowered compared to his enemies and would need mind games to beat them. Batman is well known for having to carefully prepare and plan for all contingencies to win himself. I guess my point is there is room for different styles, and I like the variety.

I think what's rare is more finding a talented writer that sets up a world and is fun to read. I liked this writer quite a lot personally. It's possible there will be works that I don't like from him as well, but someone of this ability is hard to find so it's a good idea to read their stuff and see if you like it.

Romid

Romid

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

uhmm probably this is not the true end of Mushoku tensei

I certainly like the end but it was a bit empty, it was even more when ludeus came at age 74 and died

death not something simple? I imagine that would die fighting or something