Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Why is Sagara so popular with some people?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Giantess

Giantess

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 417 posts
  • LocationOn top!

I don't dislike her, but her personality is hardly endearing.  She's jealous, selfish, mostly out of her depth as a leader, and so on.  And while she's honest, she mostly uses that brutal honesty to hurt other people; regardless of her honesty, say, she doesn't seem willing to accept that Ananta's death was his own decision or that he wouldn't want someone to do the kind of things she's doing for him.  So, Sagara-fans, what appeals to you about her?

​(I admit that among Sagara's side -- Alex aside -- my favorite character is Hura, since it's amusing to see his trolling take the wind out of some of the more SERIOUS MODE people among the Sura.)

Blunt

Blunt

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 388 posts

I hate her lol.

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
Well, although I'm not a big fan of her, I respect her for knowing clearly what she wants, for using any means possible and for owning up to her own actions and way of thinking. If you think about it, Sagara has a lot of initiative. Instead of sending her subordinates, she doesn't hesitate to do things herself, though she also places great confidence in her subordinates. Come to think of it, she never got mad at them for whatever failures occurred.

Sagara is a murderous bitch, but she owns up to it. If you think about it, she didn't do anything that Gandharva+Maruna haven't done as well, but she doesn't act like a sorry victim. In our world people would think little of someone like her, but in a world in Kubera full of hypocrites, at least she's honest.

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,
Official English Webtoons: https://www.webtoons.com

rojo

rojo

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,395 posts

Her unlikable personality is part of the appeal, honestly. She's honest and brutal and has a clear vision of what she want and what she needs to do to get it.

You can like a character without liking them as a person and vice versa.

Paper

Paper

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 498 posts
  • LocationStaring at an abyss that refuses to stare back

Honestly, there's few people in the world of Kubera that's I'd actually like to meet. I think Ran and Leez (before she broke completely) are the only ones.

Yet, I love a lot of the characters; especially Gandharva, Hura, Agni, and Yuta. The only character I disliked for awhile was Sagara, but even that's no more.

I can see why some would like her (or others') character. But like hell would I ever want to cross their path.

Edited by Paper, 12 May 2015 - 05:24 AM.

Spoiler

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

Most likely it's in large part just what's already been pointed out......she's one of the most straightforward characters in the entire story. 

To me, what's become a greater and greater flaw in this work is the just constant heaping on of more and more intricacy.......at some point it just gets old. Show me even one other character in the whole thing who isn't playing multiple leads towards the middle.

Sagara is a bad guy, plain and simple, even she embraces it. After having almost every single character end up having some hidden agenda or ulterior motive.......yeah, straightforward, even a bad guy, is a good thing.

Though in all fairness, now that I think about it, Ran's probably fairly straightforward as well.........a buffoon, but still, a straightforward one without all the guile and subterfuge to continue having to sift through  :)

Tn7HA0h.png

Paper

Paper

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 498 posts

Most likely it's in large part just what's already been pointed out......she's one of the most straightforward characters in the entire story. 

To me, what's become a greater and greater flaw in this work is the just constant heaping on of more and more intricacy.......at some point it just gets old. Show me even one other character in the whole thing who isn't playing multiple leads towards the middle.

Sagara is a bad guy, plain and simple, even she embraces it. After having almost every single character end up having some hidden agenda or ulterior motive.......yeah, straightforward, even a bad guy, is a good thing.

Though in all fairness, now that I think about it, Ran's probably fairly straightforward as well.........a buffoon, but still, a straightforward one without all the guile and subterfuge to continue having to sift through   :)

Ran's just awesome. The "one sane man", if you will. He deserves a happy ending with Rana.

He acts like an idiot at times, but his logic is mostly sound (it's usually his premise that is flawed, and played for humor).

Spoiler

salvatore

salvatore

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 6,875 posts
  • LocationEarth

Wow! never knew Sagara was popular, that makes me happy somehow.

Either way, i agree what those above said, she's very straightforward, she never tries to justify her actions, that part of her is what i like the most. 

I hate her lol.

So blunt :P

Sangios

Sangios

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationHarusame's 7th Division

I like her because she's not a hypocrite. She won't make anyone do something that she wouldn't do, nor does she force her allies into doing anything. In fact, as Mizura pointed out, she's more than willing to step up and fight in their place when push comes to shove. Even if she is brutally honest and tends to manipulate others, I find it a lot more refreshing than the majority of characters with their hidden agendas. And of course, she's easily one of the most loyal characters in the series. She would never abandon anyone who had thrown their lot in with her.

Best pairing:

Spoiler

BehindTheLighT

BehindTheLighT

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,847 posts
  • LocationItaly

Well, now that I see this thread... why do people likes God Kubera? XD He is basically the biggest ass in the universe, except for maybe Visnu and Kali XD

About Sagara:

she is not a hypocrite, and is also honest with herself

she is brave, not afraid to fight even if she's not as powerful as some others

while being a leader, she is often on the frontlines

She won't throw her underlings in suicidal situations to save her own ass, instead she will put herself in danger. Also she's always willingly to hear and accept their opinion

while she did some very stupid mistakes back in atera, she later admitted it was her own fault

Sometimes I think that she's like the evil version of Joan of Arc lol... also I bet that she is carrying out manasvin's plan, but we'll have to wait to know more.

Edited by BehindTheLighT, 12 May 2015 - 06:09 PM.

I'm italian, so please excuse me if my english is not very good, feel free to correct me.

Kubera ITA

ASHES_TO_ASHES

ASHES_TO_ASHES

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • LocationAtera

One thing I don't understand-I feel like there's a difference between being a hypocrite and changing your philosophy. If you continue to advocate for something while you're doing something else, that's hypocrisy. If you do something and advocate for it, then change your philosophy and advocate for that, then is that still hypocrisy? You're not saying one thing while doing something else, you're advocating for what you currently believe... In that sense, are that many people in the kuberaverse still hypocrits? I might be misunderstanding something, idk...

Also, I personally don't like sagara much (read: at all) but I get why people (read: sangios) do. Pretty much all the reasons listed by everyone else xD

And I don't really see Alex's appeal much... He's kinda creepy IMO. I mean, he turns into an eight year old.. That's giving me a bit of the pedo vibe...

~ASHES_TO_ASHES

BehindTheLighT

BehindTheLighT

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,847 posts
  • LocationItaly

Also, I personally don't like sagara much (read: at all)

just because she tried to kill brilith XD

I'm italian, so please excuse me if my english is not very good, feel free to correct me.

Kubera ITA

Paper

Paper

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 498 posts

just because she tried to kill brilith XD

No!... yes...

God!Kubera is only bad when his hair is not yellow. He's like a 9-to-5 reverse Rachel, or something.

Spoiler

Upset

Upset

Potato

• Members
  • 136 posts

her personality is hardly endearing.  She's jealous, selfish, mostly out of her depth as a leader, and so on.  And while she's honest, she mostly uses that brutal honesty to hurt other people; regardless of her honesty, say, she doesn't seem willing to accept that Ananta's death was his own decision

It's specifically because of that.

I wouldn't like to know someone like her in real life, of course, but as a character she's interesting to read, and the fact that she has so many limits, is aware of them but still trudges on is what makes me root for her.

I mean, take Brilith, she's just as jealous selfish and out of her depth as a leader as sagara, but she spends her time being a whimpering mass of insecurities while Sagara takes whatever comes her way and moves the plot forward.

Insecurities can be endearing too, if done right, but  oh well.

Frankly I found Sagara annoying in the beginning, she seemed a dumb villain way out of her depth who had no idea what she was doing. But after learning that she realizes just how much out of her depth she is, how hopeless her hole situation is, and still she moves forward and learning about  her motivation I started appreciating her.

Giantess

Giantess

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 417 posts
  • LocationOn top!

Well, now that I see this thread... why do people likes God Kubera? XD He is basically the biggest ass in the universe, except for maybe Visnu and Kali XD

​That's easy.  He understands his mistakes and is trying to atone for them.  I mean, he's probably screwing up badly, but the fact that he's seeking redemption makes him inherently sympathetic to a degree.

​Also he gave Leez a choice about her own future, which almost nobody else has.  That counts for a lot.

​He's a tragic character, of course -- I don't think anyone would mistake him for someone you're supposed to emulate.

Edited by Giantess, 13 May 2015 - 01:07 AM.

Boggyb

Boggyb

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 891 posts

though she also places great confidence in her subordinates. Come to think of it, she never got mad at them for whatever failures occurred.

Considering she was almost entirely to blame for the disaster in Atera, I don't see how she could have.

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
On the topic of hypocrisy, Gandharva is a good example (don't get me wrong though, I like him as a character). He looks down on Sagara even though she's only committed the same atrocities he did (killing humans, attempting to deceive others, at least she takes better care of her own subordinates), he doesn't want to admit that like her, he's doing this for selfish reasons (in the grand scheme of things, his reason may be more trivial than Sagara's, even), and he tried to save Teo to make himself feel better, as though that was doing anyone a favor (then let the other suras kill her anyway). Unlike Sagara, basically, he didn't own up to his actions (I think he does now though).

The Gods, judging from what the suras are saying, also appear to be hypocrites. They claim to be noble and such, but apparently resort to underhanded methods.

Maruna is either a hypocrite or a liar. He says he respects Halfs from other clans, but even though he doesn't want to kill them himself, he's fine with aiding others that Do end up killing a lot of Halfs. And he tells his brother that he's there to help him, but obviously his actions may lead to his brother being killed.

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,

LovelyLuvLuv

LovelyLuvLuv

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 363 posts

Ah! I love sagara and team rocket lol. So a few reasons (must rant// XD)

1) She is a character with a lot of grit (and courage), who resists the fate that the universe has given her and her clan.  She's born a weak nastika (not really her say). Despite that, presumably through a  string of lovers, she becomes king of the ananta clan. Also, the ananta clan became very weak after Ananta died, and she seeks to revive him (at least that's what i think she's doing)- which non of her clan believes in. Despite that she relentlessly continues with her plan with her small band of supporters. She does what it takes , even if that means facing Agni in the human world etc.

2) She's a dreamer. Like her current goal, or Ananta's love. Both of which seem near impossible. I think she knows that ananta will never look her way (it's been a long time) but he remains very precious to her.  And she pursues her conquest despite failing over and over. 

3) She never wallows in self pity, complains on how she was born weak etc etc how she keeps on failing etc etc. She's got her mind on the money yo. 

4) I don't find her particularly more murderous than any other sura. Like yeah if you compare to Shuri or human friendly sura kings (which were few).

5) Her character is adorable and has so much sass

Although she's got a lot of issues, like being generally a bitch, etc. But I think these qualities basically sum up why i like her.

Edited by LovelyLuvLuv, 13 May 2015 - 02:37 AM.

Paper

Paper

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 498 posts

Maruna is either a hypocrite or a liar. He says he respects Halfs from other clans, but even though he doesn't want to kill them himself, he's fine with aiding others that Do end up killing a lot of Halfs. And he tells his brother that he's there to help him, but obviously his actions may lead to his brother being killed.

Maruna would prefer against killing halfs (well, halfs of allied clans anyway), but he prioritizes obligation above all else, even above family.

As he is now, he seems the type that would sacrifice his dearly beloved siblings if the situation with his tribe calls for it.

He wouldn't like it, but he feels obligated to.

Spoiler

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
The part that I found hypocritical about Maruna is that he didn't attack the Halfs himself because of so-called principles, but his actions have directly led to the deaths of Halfs anyway. Basically, all he's doing is pushing the dirty work and responsibility onto Sagara. And then he looks down on the snakes, who aren't like the 'noble' Garuda clan.

As for the sibling part, the thing is he keeps telling Yuta that he's doing it for his own good. At best he's a liar.

Edited by Mizura, 13 May 2015 - 03:41 AM.

3492bk6.jpg