Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

I'm bummed out

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Glad101

Glad101

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 19 posts

I really like this series.  It has changed tone so much since it started, and I've enjoyed the roller coaster ride a lot.  But...

The series only goes to chapter 75!  I looked at the raws, and 75 is the series end.  So only five more chapters!

Hopefully the author will come up with a new follow up series.  Maybe Tanaka and Reina in college?  Maybe she gets pregnant, and really really has no idea how to handle the idea?  The sky is the limit!

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

I can't remember now just exactly when (as far as what chapter.......I'd certainly read a lot of it) I put this series back on my "hold/maybe I'll start reading it again later......maybe" list.......but yeah, I remember a part of it (along with the lack of new scanlated releases) was the fact that it seemed to be dramatically shifting tones. 

Silly, slap-stick comedies that try to shift into over-the-top, really serious type content normally spells "disaster" in my book........see  History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi for reference   :D

Tn7HA0h.png

Glad101

Glad101

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 19 posts

I'm pretty sure the author changed the tone because the obvious slapstick in the series had been done to death.  Instead of recycling the same old jokes over and over, the tone was changed so that the fans would stay entertained from a different aspect.

Also, the host magazine may have given him the heave ho, and he only had 15 or so chapters left in his tenure, so he decided to close out the plotline about Tanaka's past.  Getting magazine slots for a manga can be quite brutal in Japan, and mags have got to make tough choices sometimes.

The manga did well as a webtoon, so if the author comes up with a strong plotline he wants to write, we may see the series come back in that manner...  There is a lot to close out, by the way.

What happens to Nanami and her gang; who is Mayami in love with; who is Kiribachi in love with; what is the future for Shiratori and Hijiri; How are A-ko and B-ko going to handle what happens to Reina; and the raws don't really indicate what will happen to Manabu and Reina, although this is conjecture, since I don't read Japanese.

SanitaryCockroach

SanitaryCockroach

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts

I also feel that the series' shift in tone was a necessary step to keep the manga going. I would also like to show my appreciation to how well the transition was done. I barely noticed the change during my initial read through the series.

It also seemed that these serious themes were foreshadowed quite a bit in the earlier chapters, so it wasn't a total curveball to the readers. In fact, I think that the hints only heightened my interest in the manga, and the continued levity of the series punctuated by thoughtful and deep moments, made the heavy stuff more palatable. The first thing that comes to mind when trying to compare this gem of a comic to another is M.A.S.H. I would categorize this as more than just a silly romcom. It deserves so much more than that. I hereby bestow upon it the honorable title of "Dramady".  (T-T)7

Edited by SanitaryCockroach, 28 March 2016 - 09:14 PM.

What would be left of our tragedies if an insect were to present us his?

-Emile M. Cioran