Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Premise = Solid, What I got = Generic Shoujo writing?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

FakeHero

FakeHero

Potato

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationReality, sadly...........

I´m one of those that get really pulled in by interesting titles. So of course I clicked at A Method to Make a Gentle World. Read the description and went straight into reading it. And even thought my guts said,"mate, you know this is not worth the time, stop reading this." I went ahead anyway to read all translated chapters (vol5).

I believe, that you should give more or less all works a try before you say anything about it. Because you will never know if you will find something of one-of-a-kind amazing read. As a result, I have dredged an ocean of shoujo manga(s). And I sensed right of the bat, this manga is shoujo in "seinen" clothing. Now now, I know, shoujo and seinen are just labels for what sort of magazine the work is published in, and not "real" genres. But I think you understand what I try to say here.

Getting back on track now, there´s nothing wrong with shoujo manga(s). I mean, hell, some shoujo works are one of the best manga(s) I´ve ever read. But aMtMaGW is not one of them. Is extremely average, suffering from the run-of-the-mill writing that I see in many other shoujo manga(s). The characters that are so carbon copied, the lines that´s been used before and the DRAMA that´s been seen before.

I always like to ask myself after finishing reading a work, "Was it worth the time I invested? Did I get anything worthwhile out of it?". For I do believe manga(s) is meant for more than time kill. I guess I had expectations from this, I mean it had the fun teacher premise (and thank heavens is not like that dreadful genius-teacher-harem manga), and the art is just solid stuff. I guess I was disappointed after expecting more from it, seeing how many followers and a good rating it had.

So I like to know, what did you enjoy about this work? Also, about the discussion of best girl, there´s only Aoi.

P.S. Oh and the answer is no, and no. 

Edited by FakeHero, 22 April 2015 - 05:16 AM.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

I can't say your appraisal is much of a surprise actually.

I put this one on hold after the first volume (and the second break in releases of longer than six months) I guess going on three years ago now, but thought it was pretty obviously tending that way...........though in all honesty I thought it was tending towards more of a shounen harem/romcom vein when I put it down. Which/whatever........yeah, it started evolving into something quite different than what I expected from the premise and the seinen demographic.

I thought the premise had way more promise than where I saw it going at the time.

Edited by svines85, 22 April 2015 - 08:54 AM.

Tn7HA0h.png

RhythmiC

RhythmiC

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNorthern Sweden

Alright, well here's my take on this manga: I like good drawings. I won't deny that. But without some kind of conflict, preferably with some kind of antagonist, it gets shallow in my eyes. WIth that said, I like this manga. A gifted seinen dealing with surprising problems, having a romantic interest only in somebody suitable for him but getting somebody unsuitable for him create a romantic interest in him, while dealing with career issues. I wouldn't call this a generic shoujo manga, nor a generic shounen harem/romcom, because it isn't. Those elements are in there, sure, but it's the mix of it all on top of seinen issues which makes it an interesting and not so shallow read for me.

As for girls, I'm rooting for Yuu+Yurine! She's my favorite by far.

radinet

radinet

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

What's wrong with it being generic? What's wrong with it being carbon-copied, used before and seen before drama?

I picked up this title without any expectations that it's going to be different than any or everything else. Because I'm the kind of person that, if I want something that hits my expectations or even surprise me, I'd be going for, for example, the likes of the works of Mizukami Satoshi or Nihei Tsutomu. And I'm not talking about them being "different" in terms of genre (nor has it something to do with my personal preference with the sci-fi and fantasy genre), but "different" in terms of storytelling and the application of drama.

But as I've mentioned, I picked up YSnT without any expectations. But if the author can make me root for the characters, can put me in their shoes for how they exactly feel the conflicting moments they are facing, and not making me cringe for the characters' indecisiveness because of stupid unexplainable reasons, then I'd say the author has done a really decent job in here.

And it's hard to come by anything decent nowadays, so yeah.

Alchaeus

Alchaeus

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts

I goe a kind of Kodomo no Jikan vibe from this one, except with high school girls instead of elementary.  In any case, once I started reading it, I enjoyed it enough to stay up late until I caught up to where it was translated, all in one go.

Edited by Alchaeus, 11 September 2015 - 03:41 PM.

decapus

decapus

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 80 posts

the title has little to do with its content... I think the author admitted that... so I guess you shouldn't base the premise of a mange on its title? 

the drawing and style leaned towards romance, shoujo... so not sure what you were expecting out of this manga other than that?

I think it got the seinen tag because like all seinen will know... life will not turn out happily ever after for everything

I liked the story and the interactions between the characters.. it was my highlight of the day when a chapter came out.. well.. that could just  be I am living a pretty mundane life

by the way, the manga is completed in Japan already and so are the Chinese translations

I will definitely be interested in the author's next work... though I don't see any hint of that coming out soon

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

now that you mentioned it.. it does have a Kodomo no Jikan vibe... albeit not so dark and not lolicon 

Edited by decapus, 25 December 2015 - 08:36 PM.

Nestrior

Nestrior

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • LocationDown in a sea cavern near the very bottom

I came here in search of a good seinen without all that ecchi that seems to be present in many works, as a focus on it annoys in a genre that deals with the problems of becoming an adult in the working world. And even though I normally avoid anything with a shoujo related art style, because I can't stand all the kitsch and "drama", I binged all chapters avaible at that time, which was around vol. 5 or so.

Sure I expected a lot more focus on Yuu in the general work as seinen is normally targetted on a male demographic. I am in somewhat of a pinch carreer wise myself and sometimes think of myself as an un-aided "genius" that was just left there, despite being obviously bored at the stuff. Heard the sentence "you could have much better grades" more than once. Well... Got an A- on my final history exam, solely through looking at some dates that morning when I had it in the afternoon, so go figure what I did for school in general.

So I can also kind of relate to Aoi, even though I am a guy xD Btw, she is my favorite, since I saw the dump for Haruka relatively early. It was a nice triangle, but they did not match in my eyes.

I don't know much about shoujos in general, the last being A Fairy Tale of the Two which I stopped simply because I lose track of mangas within the truckload I am reading/following sometimes, but after seeing it again, I didn't care, because it wasn't that memorable by the time I lost sight of it. But...

Even though this one is heavy on the shoujo side of things, I would still recommend it to someone who wants to try out an easy seinen or a rather simple romance manga. The great strength of this manga for me is that nothing is completly over the top, the contrary even. It is a light read and a nice breath of fresh air in comparism to the more complex works I tend to be drawn to. It may be generic, which is a trap few works evade and even fewer make out of, but it also has problems that are kind of ungeneric. The "genius in hiding" is not something I would expect in a generic shoujo, but more in a seinen or josei as they tend to approach more mature themes and have a more "realistic" view on things. The one thing that is a relatively big minus point for me is that everything goes a bit too smooth. When Yuu struggles with himself over whether or not accepting the new job, I would have liked some more discourse about it and not this pretty silent way of settling things, at least as I remember it. The other two want to openly start things after graduation, which is all good and well, but it feels too easy as a whole. But this makes it such a light read in the first place and an easy introduction to the genres that are present. It does not overfocus on the shoujo typical drama, or else I would have dropped it almost immediately, but everything moves too smooth. The struggles of our two geniuses are understandable, but they are resolved rather easily.

A nice and easy read, but a bit too easy.

Edited by Nestrior, 26 December 2015 - 04:44 AM.

Mainly use my abstractly thinking and analytical brain to construct theories in order to solve the endless mysteries of Kubera instead of doing something really useful with it. So I will try to support most theories with more substance, if you want it or not.

Click here for a guide how to purchase the book version of Kubera.

elbs

elbs

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 24 posts

my summary: great premise / art / MC / secondary characters, pretty good characterisation / setting...

BUT cliched and sappy shoujo-esque plotlines & melodrama.

if author remedied that element, would be a truly great manga.

Edited by elbs, 26 December 2015 - 07:44 PM.

RhythmiC

RhythmiC

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNorthern Sweden
-------

It enforces their intended "genius"-impression by having them resolve everything efficiently and patiently though. However, the clear images that they all seemed to have of their own feelings is something I find very unsuitable for their ages.

Nako

Nako

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 59 posts

what bothers me even more (I just started reading this one - now at vol. 1 ch. 2): we've got a girl who is traumatized by sexual harassament and the author shows us this girl's panties every now and then? author 're you sure this is the right way to approach such a serious topic? making a victim into an object of the readers' sexual desires? not sure wether me gusto....

by the way, I wouldn't say that this is a shoujo. it's romance, yes, but seinen can have a romance tag as well, while there are shoujos that don't have any romance in them (donten ni warau for example). i've read other seinen+romance mangas before which used the same chliches like shoujos (triangle etc.), so that kind of story telling/plot device is not necessarily a characteristic of shoujos. so it's a seinen with less mature characters maybe? (a shounen maybe? 'cause i really can't imagine that a shoujo would treat sexual harassament in such an insensitive way... even if the characters of shoujos are as immature as the ones in shounen, this topic is still rather present for females than for males).

my other impression is: yes, this is generic. i just read another manga - a oneshot - and it even looks like they copied and pasted the dialogues (like the conversation with the former teacher at the beginning of ch. 2. the content of the dialogue is exactly the same as in the other manga. you might say, i'm surprised they didn't use the same wording xD. and that's only one example for similarity... i'm still just reading ch. 2 here, c'mon! x_x).

and while someone above mentioned that this amount of ecchi doesn't bother him/her, for me there is still too much forced (!) ecchi... i don't care if it's added rather naturally and fitting to the situation. however i agree that this amount here is better than the usual fan service stuff.

Edited by Nako, 04 March 2016 - 11:46 PM.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

by the way, I wouldn't say that this is a shoujo. it's romance, yes, but seinen can have a romance tag as well, while there are shoujos that don't have any romance in them (donten ni warau for example). i've read other seinen+romance mangas before which used the same chliches like shoujos (triangle etc.), so that kind of story telling/plot device is not necessarily a characteristic of shoujos. so it's a seinen with less mature characters maybe? (a shounen maybe? 'cause i really can't imagine that a shoujo would treat sexual harassament in such an insensitive way... even if the characters of shoujos are as immature as the ones in shounen, this topic is still rather present for females than for males).

It is actually a shounen work.......a typical, though shorter than the ridiculously long norm, shounen harem romcom. I'm not quite sure where that seinen demographic it was tagged with came from, maybe MangaUpdates reclassified it into shounen when it changed publications from Dengeki Daioh Genesis to/from Comic Dengeki Daioh......even though both of those publications market towards/publish almost exclusively shounen works.........but be that as it may, MU calls it shounen, so it's shounen and I've changed it to reflect that here.

Yeah, I doubt I'll ever go back to this one. A lot of the reviews and comments are basically saying the same things as here.......potential that catches the eye at first, with content that rapidly declines into the generic. Boooooooo :D

Tn7HA0h.png