Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

ONE's art is terrible, why is his manga so popular

art good manga ONE

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

noperdoper

noperdoper

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

Tell us who you'd prefer draw Mob Psycho 100 or tell us if you like ONE's art.

I like ONE's style because it's really interesting how he can make good manga without relying on pretty art. Because of ONE's art limitation, he can't rely on fanservice or nice art and actually has to make interesting characters.

His main characters look like a child's doodles, but they have WAY more depth than the most well-drawn characters in the most popular shounen manga.

He pretty much single-handedly breaks all the assumptions that Bakuman makes (you need fanservice and bad artists can only make gag manga).

SquirelKing

SquirelKing

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Art does not make a manga good, but can enhance it in certain situations. Look at molester man, horrible art that you would find in a kid in middle school's art journal but it had an extremely good story. Hunter x Hunter had some dips in the art quality but the same story was being told brilliantly!

Good art can make a good manga even better, but a good manga does not need good art to thrive.

jaxkels

jaxkels

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOntario

ONE doesn't draw "well" but I can say some good things about his 'art': they're clean/clear (esp. in Mob Psycho), the characters are distinct, he has a nice sense for style or whatever it's called (ex: covers, scenes where Mob goes 100%).

That aside, I'd guess it's popular because it's funny>people like OP characters>the story is interesting.

Coralira

Coralira

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 96 posts
The art doesn't look good but actually it conveys what the characters are feeling pretty well. The panelling is good too.
It's a lot better than reading something with cleaner art where the characters leave a bland impression.. Or a manga that over uses close-ups for example.

So he's pretty good because he knows what works with what he's got.

A.C.E.G

A.C.E.G

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

The reason why ONE's manga is so popular is because he's an amazing storyteller.

He knows perfectly how to pace his panels, cliffhangers and action scenes, his ideas are great and he has a great sense of wit and humor.

Cruxador

Cruxador

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

I would actually dispute the claim that ONE's art isn't good. If you look at his early stuff, sure, that's pretty unskilled. But the stuff he's making now? He can and does make some very intricate art and his depictions are consistent. Rather than low-skill, it's more that his art makes an unusual use of contrasting complexity. Similar to how simple and complex are contrasted in ligne claire art, he uses the distinction to represent dramatic weight. In some panels, indeed, it's pretty much outright ligne claire like in Mob Psycho where the city backgrounds are very detailed but the people in front are simpler. Then you see things in One Punch Man where the monsters may be complicated-looking but when there's a joke it's portrayed using very simplistic art. This is a style that's made its way into video now as well, with Trigger's new Ninja Slayer anime, but ONE did it first.

And this contrast of "quality" is only one aspect of why ONE's manga is great. His pacing and paneling are absolutely stellar and each panel (especially in OPM, which tends to be more dramatic) has very powerful composition.

Senomis

Senomis

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Compared to many other action mangas/manhwas, One's works have a lot more versatility in that it can be a gag at one point and completely serious at another. Also, his approach toward typical cliches and other manga tropes is a breath of fresh air too. 

Duralumi

Duralumi

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

ONE's art isn't strong on a technical level (however, it's come along leaps and bounds in the past few months, and is basically a full-on stylization choice now rather than just the result of bad art).

However, he's a good storyteller, and EXCELLENT at paneling (content of panels, position in relation to each-other, etc.). Which makes his works a treat for enthusiasts who can look past "lower-quality" art.

85.2 put a huge grin on my face as I was reading it because it was so hype, something which rarely happens when I read manga.

Trinculo

Trinculo

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 9 posts

true ONE's art isn't great but it is not with out it's charm.

Zeffry

Zeffry

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

Unless I'm mistaken, one established himself in webcomics first and gained a following. I doubt any of the manga publishers would take his art seriously if he'd gone to them directly. Though I think that's one of the major problems in the manga industry. Well, I'm looking at bakuman as a source for this, but I think manga has a lot of problems like network tv. They have to worry constantly about ratings, shallow pandering, etc, to stay afloat, Unless they have a fanatical fanbase. One has enough of fanatical fanbase to get him publshed. Though I doubt he'll ever be in weekly shonen jump.

ridpathos

ridpathos

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

I personally think his manga are popular because they feature main-characters that are completely overpowered. Like you know they can't lose if they take it seriously, and you're just waiting for the ultimate victory.

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

It's the great attitude of the characters, and with Mob Pyscho 101 it's how he struggles despite his power. He struggles for it to not corrupt him, he struggles to find a place in the world without using his power. 

Also, I like seeing his "master"s "special attacks". Always good for at least a chuckle.

Edited by truepurple, 13 September 2015 - 10:59 PM.

keoulvi

keoulvi

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Locationindonesia

ONE is a great mangaka his art probably is like meh and he doesn't give a single f### about it,

but when comes to story telling and when the MC gotten badass he know what he's doing with it.

Spoiler

Edited by keoulvi, 10 October 2015 - 11:24 AM.

*Breathe In
Boi

theanondonjuan

theanondonjuan

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

ONE's art isn't strong on a technical level (however, it's come along leaps and bounds in the past few months, and is basically a full-on stylization choice now rather than just the result of bad art).

However, he's a good storyteller, and EXCELLENT at paneling (content of panels, position in relation to each-other, etc.). Which makes his works a treat for enthusiasts who can look past "lower-quality" art.

85.2 put a huge grin on my face as I was reading it because it was so hype, something which rarely happens when I read manga.

This, plus I would also add ONE's use of transitions is used to enhance his stories super effectively. From the comments here I think I need to suggest a certain book: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Understanding_Comics

Also, if you don't feel like reading, I recommend watching this: https://www.ted.com/talks/scott_mccloud_on_comics

ltnlng

ltnlng

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts

Neither his stories nor his art are what you would call great. But they're both passable. His art is actually improving and it's actually quite good in some panels. His stories are all pretty superficial and tries to get one philosophical point across. The resulting effect is that it makes it seem like he's sharing some profound universal truth. People like to think they've discovered the answer to some great philosophical conundrum they can't even identify. People also like the fact that the protagonists are all so insanely overpowered. People are just drawn to the concept of someone or something having enough power to do whatever you want. It's a form of wish fulfillment. And the protagonists are pretty much all so bland that their characters can be summed up by their power. It makes it easier to like the characters because really all you're liking is their abilities. The ability to destroy anything/anyone with one punch. The ability to destroy anything/anyone with one thought. And in one of his earlier manga, the ability to destroy anything/anyone through undepicted fights. One isn't a great storyteller or a great artist. But he knows what people want: one sided rampages.

geenius3ab

geenius3ab

Potato

• Members
  • 187 posts

Do you decide if a game is good by looking at its graphics? No? Then this is exactly the same case with ONE's mangas. Even though the art quality isn't "high-end" and most likely most of us can reach a similar level if we put a couple of weeks of hard work into it.. The reason why they are good is that the "graphics" (art) have a clear style and aesthetic to it (So the art itself isn't actually that bad in the later chapters.). The story and characters are fun and you WANT to see what they do next. You don't read books either cause of the art on the cover.. A good cover on a book can enhance your imagination on the characters but it's far from ruining a good book.

To summarize . ONE's mangas are simply GOOD mangas. The art quality does not factor into the overall experience that the manga provides.. Although there might be some who simply can't look past it and it's their choice. But there's those who can and also those who enjoy the art (As it's clear and has a certain style to it.).

Propodia

Propodia

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 25 posts

Because of Murata.... let be honest, if Murata didnt exist, most people here wont know One, OPM or mob.

Mob is not that popular anyway, the only reason it got more viewer than it should be is because of OPM.

His story is ok, one of the better ones, but not like there is no good story + better artstyle around, he was just happened to be lucky, that's all.

Edited by Propodia, 18 December 2015 - 02:48 PM.

geenius3ab

geenius3ab

Potato

• Members
  • 187 posts

Because of Murata.... let be honest, if Murata didnt exist, most people here wont know One, OPM or mob.

Mob is not that popular anyway, the only reason it got more viewer than it should be is because of OPM.

His story is ok, one of the better ones, but not like there is no good story + better artstyle around, he was just happened to be lucky, that's all.

Umm the reason why it is getting made into a manga and anime IS because it was popular enough to warrant it. You saying that "It's not even that good" is obviously not what the majority thinks because his japanese website that he uploads stuff on has over 72 million views. It's way past the point of simply being popular cause of Murata.

Murata made it into something that's easily consumable by the main stream, but that doesn't mean that OPM wasn't already extremely popular before that point either (With the online crowd.).

Edited by geenius3ab, 18 December 2015 - 10:10 PM.

Propodia

Propodia

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 25 posts

Umm the reason why it is getting made into a manga and anime IS because it was popular enough to warrant it. You saying that "It's not even that good" is obviously not what the majority thinks because his japanese website that he uploads stuff on has over 72 million views. It's way past the point of simply being popular cause of Murata.
Murata made it into something that's easily consumable by the main stream, but that doesn't mean that OPM wasn't already extremely popular before that point either (With the online crowd.).

And look at it now, how much more popular it has became.
yeah, yeah the whole "one punch" premise is great, but as great at it is, it's just 72m views (dont know if it had been that much before murata joined in), not 72m readers or more as it is now.
OPM is popular even in my country, but the original and mob on the other hand, not. Not many would give a dawn about low quality drawing. And you cant blame them for that.
Also, to me, Dungeon Meshi is better than Murata's OPM anyway.

Mob is a nice story (its premise, unlike opm, is just normal), but if not for OPM I wouldnt have read it (doubt it would even be translated)

Edited by Propodia, 20 December 2015 - 05:24 PM.

geenius3ab

geenius3ab

Potato

• Members
  • 187 posts

And look at it now, how much more popular it has became.
yeah, yeah the whole "one punch" premise is great, but as great at it is, it's just 72m views (dont know if it had been that much before murata joined in), not 72m readers or more as it is now.
OPM is popular even in my country, but the original and mob on the other hand, not. Not many would give a dawn about low quality drawing. And you cant blame them for that.
Also, to me, Dungeon Meshi is better than Murata's OPM anyway.

Mob is a nice story (its premise, unlike opm, is just normal), but if not for OPM I wouldnt have read it (doubt it would even be translated)

Nice seeing your subjective view on popularity.. "Oh just 72 million" .. Get out of here if you think that your subjective view on popularity has any ground?

For a new series the "Murata and ONE " series has got 7 million sales (What brings popularity to a series is far more related to the story and characters then just the art. Although good art does help..) and that's a huge amount for a new series.. So your subjective view on the importance of art is.. Silly and it has no worth. Fact is that the Murata manga is crazy popular AND ONE's own website where he posts his chapters has 72 million views from people who're interested in his manga.

ONE's manga is good, and Murata's looks good as fuck and is pretty great as well. I am way past the point of caring for the art as what's most important is in fact.. NOT the art.

Edited by geenius3ab, 20 December 2015 - 09:23 PM.