Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Highschool

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Blue Flaming Wings

Blue Flaming Wings

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Now that the comic has ended, what does everyone think about there being a sequel, but this one set during Kosei's highschool years? It can show how the events of Kaori's death has effected him over the years, while he's pursued his music. It could also possibly take place overseas (as it has been mentioned in the comic) and host a new cast (though I'd imagine Tsubaki would still be by his side, regardless of whether or not they start dating).

Do you think this can or will happen? Any predictions?

Because I've gotten tired of people trying to hire me to write ...

BlazingMarkS

BlazingMarkS

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

I don't think the author would want to do something like that. I guess it's better to leave that to your imagination. Usually when an author finishes one work (especially mangakas), they usually want to create a new story that will be even better than the last. There could be a spiritual successor (like spin-offs or such relating to other characters of the main storyline), but that's all in the air for now. Let's be patient, support the manga if you really liked it, and anticipate the next story that Arakawa sensei will bring.

Blue Flaming Wings

Blue Flaming Wings

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 358 posts

Quite a few mangas have sequels to them. It can and has been done. Though Divini's point in the comments does stand - while Arakawa could continue the story the question is would she want to? After all, the story does stand alone on its own. 

I guess time will tell.

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts
  • LocationManetheren, but more realistically Southern California

I couldn't say.  Mangaka come in all shapes and sizes.  Some write great sequels (think Koi Dano Ai Dano), but some write sequels that are vastly inferior to the original (seems like they are writing it to appease fans "who want more").  I agree with the above post that it is a stand alone story.  Sure I'd love to see the further rivalries of the three piano musketeers, with Nagi and Miiki breathing down their necks, but the story was told, and it was told well.  I thought Kaori was really the catalyst for the story (not taking anything away from the other characters, as they were all well conceived and real characters in their own right), so it would have to be a completely new story to survive without her.  To quote (or misquote) Robert Jordan, "She came like the wind.  Like the wind, she touched everything, and like the wind, was gone."

Blue Flaming Wings

Blue Flaming Wings

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 358 posts

A completely new story - new setting, new characters - was kinda what I was thinking. Kaori's tale is done (Misquoted or not I think that quote captured her pretty well) but I'm not sure if Kosei's is or not.

I suppose if that plot bunny keeps jumping around in my head and there's not a sequel I can always type up a fanfic on it - it's been a while since I've written anything that's not been for college.

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts
  • LocationManetheren, but more realistically Southern California

Over two years later --- I re-read the series (one of my favorites) and came to some slightly different conclusions.  Tsubaki going to his high school doesn't really make a difference in the peculiarity of their relationship.  I don't want to sound like a snob, but she can't really understand him.  Cultural class and socio-economic class are two very different things.  Several people that I was friends with from my childhood could never understand my musical tastes, love of history, or literary tastes, and they had no desire to understand or appreciate them.  I, in my own way, loved these people, but they had no interest in understanding me as I grew up.  They expected me to deal with them in the way we were when we were ten years old.  Fighting to get an academic standing to be with your friend is undoubtedly a good goal, but the greater goal would be trying to understand why he is the person he is (and this is an argument divorced from gender, as a number of cultured, intelligent girls I have known have gone through the same scenario).  As a fan of this manga, I will always be a Kaori fan, loving Emi and Nagi as well (can anyone tell that I am a guy?)  

Bottom line:  

I'm no a snob, but I think that coupling with Tsubaki would destroy Kousei's career.  She has no idea in hell where he is coming from.  She has known him for years and has yet to try and find out what motivates him.  When I first read this manga, I thought that Kaori was the best person for him (pushing him forward over and over again).  After she died, I thought that Nagi was the best person for him, someone fighting tooth and nail for the same goal as him.  Tsubaki could be the person for him, if only we had ever had even a hint that she had even the slightest understanding of who he really was and what he was striving for.