Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Alabasta and Pirate Alliance: Parallel Sagas

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

mbaruh

mbaruh

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 37 posts

It may have been done on purpose, or perhaps just mere coincidence (although I would like to think the former is true), but while the contents of the two sagas are different, if you break them down into key components, you can find an awful lot of similarities. In both sagas:

• It starts as the crew enters a certain half of the grand line (Paradise and New World).
  • The first Island is ruled by a group affiliated with the main antagonist (Baroque Works and CC and his goons).
    • On that Island the crew takes along with them passenger(s) in need of their help (Vivi and Kinnemon + Momo).
    • On that Island the crew also agree on their destination which is several islands away (Alabasta and Dressrosa and from there to Zou).
    • On that Island the main antagonist becomes aware of the crew's opposition against him and begins pursuing it.
  • A slightly weak point but still: During the saga the crew expands its forces (Chopper and the Heart Pirates along with who knows how many more crews).
  • The main antagonist is a Shichibukai (Crocodile and Doffy).
    • He seems to be a lot more powerful than Luffy and it isn't clear how Luffy can beat him.
    • He is first introduced by an alias, but his identity is revealed shortly after ('boss'\Mr. 0 and Joker).
    • At first the citizens of the country he rules, or desires to rule, think of him as their savior.
    • Luffy needs to get to him several times before they can finally have the final battle (also fairly weak point, but still).
  • Luffy and Smoker are captured and imprisoned together.
    • Smoker ends up giving up on chasing Luffy and even aids the crew.
  • Luffy is chased by a marine individual against whom he can't win (Smoker and Fujitora).
    • He is blocked by Luffy's brother (Ace and Sabo).
  • Zoro's opponent has an ability that prevents Zoro from harming him (Body of blades, and one that allows him to hide behind a mass of stone).
  • The crew befriends the royal family which deserves to be in power (Nefertari and Riku families).
  • At the climax of the saga the main antagonist instigates a civil war.
  • It is still early to say anything but a crew member forms a special relationship with one of the enemy's crew members (Luffy and Mr. 2, and Franky and Senor Pink).

This is what I managed to think of for now. I'll post more if I think of anything, and I'm sure there will be more similarities as the current arc concludes.

sausageking

sausageking

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

i thought the same as well, also some of the doflamingo family members have similiar powers as the barouqe works

VartholomewKuma

VartholomewKuma

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

There's also Vivi and Rebecca, they're both princesses and they're 16 years old at the time of each arc. There's elements like these that it's quite obvious they're not coincidental and Oda did it on purpose. Not cause of laziness, there should be a reason for that. Law's flashback (before he met the donquixote pirates) reminds Robin's... There's probably a reason for all that to happen on this particular arc and they do indicate somewhere. If things are going to be more unpredictable in the New World, Oda isn't going to make a reference to his own series again.

mbaruh

mbaruh

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 37 posts

If things are going to be more unpredictable in the New World, Oda isn't going to make a reference to his own series again.

Well after Zou the next destination will probably be Wano, a country which not many outsiders are able to enter, just like Skypia. So you already have that.

VartholomewKuma

VartholomewKuma

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

You could say there's a lot of things we expect to see, like SHs vs Kaidou, vs Big mom, BB, Shanks, other supernovas, Enel again maybe. It seems, at the time, to be more predictable than it was before timeskip. Nobody could predict any arcs before, like skypiea, thriller bark or any if you think about it. We would see fishman island but the WW saga changed everything, and FI got delayed.

Actually Law even foreshadowed another war in the future but i doubt it's gonna be similar. What is it going to be, Luffy's brother dies again? Things like that and Straw Hat's separation by Kuma had a point before. This is (probably) why Oda made Dressrosa have all these references to Alabasta on purpose. But it still is a completely different arc.

I can't see the rest of the series being already set-up, and nothing new and unexpected can happen...

Dragon88

Dragon88

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 519 posts

There is lot of similarity between the two arcs, but its not surprising because to me it feels like the shs are just entering the grand line but in this case the NW.  And in both cases they are dealing with a Shichubukai who either took over a kingdom or trying to take over a kingdom.  And he has divserse fighting members with unique powers that are very helpful and dangerous.  Crocodile had Bentham and Doflamingo has Sugar.  And then you have a young princess in both Vivi and Rebecca.  Its a similar type of arc and hence so much similarity.  Its because at both arcs you are taking down a shichubukai who is deceiving the WG and has taken over a country or trying to take over a country, so you are bound to have lot of similarity.  But aside from that its actually lot different.  Sabo is playing a much bigger role in this arc then Ace did.  Also the alliance thing is new as well as everything else.  Plus Crocodile arc was much longer and more things happened as oppose to Doflamingo arc being quick.  Shs learned about Doflamingo in Punk Hazard and then they just go to Dressrosa as oppose to with Crocodile, they learn about him in whiskey peak, then they go to little garder, then to Drum kingdom and then to Alabasta and Vivi was a huge part of those arc as oppose to Rebecca playing very small part.  Also with Dressrosa, its not just about Doflamingo, you also have RA, new pirates as well as Yonkou and admirals as oppose to with Crocodile it was just him and the poneglyph which plays no part with Dressrosa.

To me even though they have similarity because you are dealing with a shichubukai who is evil and going behind the government but aside from that they are very different arcs.

mbaruh

mbaruh

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 37 posts

There is lot of similarity between the two arcs, but its not surprising because to me it feels like the shs are just entering the grand line but in this case the NW.  And in both cases they are dealing with a Shichubukai who either took over a kingdom or trying to take over a kingdom.  And he has divserse fighting members with unique powers that are very helpful and dangerous.  Crocodile had Bentham and Doflamingo has Sugar.  And then you have a young princess in both Vivi and Rebecca.  Its a similar type of arc and hence so much similarity.  Its because at both arcs you are taking down a shichubukai who is deceiving the WG and has taken over a country or trying to take over a country, so you are bound to have lot of similarity.  But aside from that its actually lot different.  Sabo is playing a much bigger role in this arc then Ace did.  Also the alliance thing is new as well as everything else.  Plus Crocodile arc was much longer and more things happened as oppose to Doflamingo arc being quick.  Shs learned about Doflamingo in Punk Hazard and then they just go to Dressrosa as oppose to with Crocodile, they learn about him in whiskey peak, then they go to little garder, then to Drum kingdom and then to Alabasta and Vivi was a huge part of those arc as oppose to Rebecca playing very small part.  Also with Dressrosa, its not just about Doflamingo, you also have RA, new pirates as well as Yonkou and admirals as oppose to with Crocodile it was just him and the poneglyph which plays no part with Dressrosa.

To me even though they have similarity because you are dealing with a shichubukai who is evil and going behind the government but aside from that they are very different arcs.

No doubt that the content of the two arcs is different, I said so myself, and yet if you take the key points of both arcs you'll suddenly find that they're not that different. Just to be clear- I'm not complaining about anything, just pointing out something I noticed.

Both Croc and Doffy being shichibukai doesn't make it good enough a reason, since Moria was also one, and his arc was very different. Also, all shichibukai are against the government.. they're pirates.

If you mean that the current saga is quick because it has traversed less islands so far, then you're right on that point, but I'd just like to point out that soon the Dressrosa arc will be 100 chapters long. Chapter-wise those two sagas are pretty equal.

Edited by mbaruh, 13 April 2015 - 04:14 AM.

Erebus Loki

Erebus Loki

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

Alabasta and Dressrosa had history with the tenryuubito cmiiw

mbaruh

mbaruh

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 37 posts

Just thought of more:

Excluding the extras (Vivi and Kinemon), Luffy had 5 allies who were "part of the gang":

In Alabasta they were Zoro, Nami, Ussop, Sanji and Chopper.

In Dresrossa they were Zoro, Ussop, Robin, Franky and Law.

Also, the final battles were included in 2 volumes. The cover of the first depicted the forces of the antagonist, and the second one Luffy's.

mbaruh

mbaruh

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 37 posts

After taking care of the enemies on the first island, two of the enemy's underlings show up to fix the mess (Mr. *5* and Mrs. Valentine's; Baby *5*  and Buffalo. Even the names are similar.. this is getting ridiculous).

One of the enemy's underlings captures three members of Luffy's party to make them into a form of art while killing them (Mr. 3 and Jora).

Edited by mbaruh, 01 July 2015 - 07:34 PM.

VartholomewKuma

VartholomewKuma

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts
It's been a while since i've seen this thread lol now it feels we have more common things about the arcs... or at least the pre-timeskip part.

Doflamingo used parasaito to control King Riku and attack the country to make him look bad.
Crocodile did the same thing with King Cobra. Only he used Bon-Kure.

The birdcage countdown reminds the bomb Crocodile set in that tower.

In Marineford, Akainu tried to aggrevate Ace by talking bad about Whitebeard so he can kill him.
Last chapter Burgess did the same with Sabo.. at least that had a different outcome lol