Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Why did Kanzaki Nao Keep playing after round one (Spoilers)?

Liar GameKanzaki

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

MDM007

MDM007

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

After that ending I am rereading the series and I GOTS SOME QUESTIONS FORUM!! And oh yeah, SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!!!!

At the end of round one KN had won the round.  Although she had no money, she also had no debt or obligations to the Liar Game or its representatives.  However in Chapter Seven, titled "Game II" page 5, KN receives a card that says 

"You can also elect to drop out at this point.  If you repay half of your winnings from the first round, you can withdraw from all subsequent rounds.  In your case 50 million yen.  Please be exactly on time.  Players who do not appear at the designated place will be seen as forfeiting the game.  If a player forfeits they must repay all the money awarded from the first round"

My question is way was she obligated to do any of that.  Lets says, for example she had won the full 100 million yen and not given any to her former teacher.  She would have paid back the money the organisers gave her and won 100 million fair and square, flat out.  No debt, no more obligations.... Right?

The author made the card read as if the phrase "If you repay half of your winnings" was the only way out.  But I contest that it is not the only way.  Couldn't she have told them "I played your game, I won, you got the 100 million you gave me back, this money belongs to me, eat a dick sideways.  I'm out. Thug Life bitches."  She had no obligation to give them anything is what I'm saying.

Then to make matters worse, IMHO, the author has the card read "If a player forfeits they must repay all the money awarded from the first round".  I'm calling bullshit on that whole statement.  How do you repay something you did not borrow. I though only debts were repaid. And even if that was a condition of the first round (Which as far as I can tell it wasn't) they never told her about it. The liar Game organiser got the money they gave KN back, at the end of round one.

Imagine with me that you are on the "Prices is Right" and after you have won your first pricing game you decide you know what Bob fuck it, I'll take what I've won so far and I'm leaving to go get some tacos.  After Bob looks at you in amazement and announces that you are the first person in PiR history to say screw a shot at the "Big Wheel" and even possibly the "ShowCase Showdown", you take your winning and head on out.  No what if instead Bob put his foot out and said "Hold on there Partner" these prizes are mine unless you make it to the end, only first and second place get to keep anything... You would definitely call Shenanigans. SHENANIGANS!!!!!

Now I am just starting this reread, and maybe down the line the author will explain this, but until i reread it.... I think that Kanzaki Nao could have just waked away.  What about you?

chrodechild

chrodechild

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

And if you kept reading, you'd see that she did tell them to stop bothering her and ended up being tricked, again, to participate in the next round.

If she'd kept her winnings and hadn't given them to her former teacher, she would've only had 50 million due to her and the other guy splitting 50/50- which was the deal for him helping her. So she wouldn't have been able to pay them back for forfeiting, which would've been 100 million in total. 

The repaying them to drop out is them telling her (and other contestants) that if they want to be out of the next round/entire game, they have to pay in order to get out. Which is why... she panicked about it? It's basically them stating an ultimatum to make the person who received the letter panic and think that there's no other way out.

And the thing is that, if she hadn't listened to the lawyer (who was actually someone working for the organisation), she wouldn't have gone to them and we could've found out if they would've left her alone if she didn't go to them and be forced to participate in the second round. 

And to answer your question: No. I don't think that she would've been able to walk away due to the type of person that she is and the situation that followed her. 

Edited by chrodechild, 27 March 2015 - 03:46 AM.