Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

It Surprised Me That The WN Sucks So Hard - While the Manga is quite amazing

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

FakeHero

FakeHero

Potato

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationReality, sadly...........

So I started reading the manga. And I found it quite good, in fact so good that I wanted more. So I read up that this was based on the web novel, and that it´s been translated way past the manga. Eagerly I started reading from the beginning. 

And 119 CH (Warehouse?) later, I´m confused. The writing is so...ehm...how should I put it? Amateurish? At this point I´m questioning if it´s the translator´s fault. After some research and asking a friend that´s from Japan to read the source material, he told me that the source material is in fact real bad amateur work and it was a boring read. So the fault didn´t lie with the translator, and the translator actually tried his/her best to make it more interesting for us to read.

Now, I know. I´m not a writer, and I try not to be rude about this, but damn the, the original work sucks. 

I´m just so amazed that the manga artist/author made such a great manga outta "that". I can hardly believe it. Maybe the source material was meant to be presented with both pictures and word to show is truest potential, or maybe the manga artist/author is just  damn amazing?

I like to hear your thoughts on this matter.

//Someone eagerly waiting for more Shield Hero manga chapters.

Naughtius Maximus

Naughtius Maximus

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
No that's exactly what a web novel is. They don't need to go through a second opinion (editor.)

Consider it a rough draft. Unpolished product, etc.

Edited by Naughtius Maximus, 21 December 2014 - 08:27 PM.

juanen7

juanen7

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSpain

the manga is based on the light novel, not on the web novel

Scynix

Scynix

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

Coincidentally, the WN is actually better written than a lot of other popular WN's I've read.

Mushoku is very popular but the writing is so self serving and obnoxious I can't even finish reading it.

As someone else pointed out, WN's are exactly that, it's basically amateur writing that became popular.

Edited by Scynix, 21 December 2014 - 09:48 PM.

draconins

draconins

Potato Sprout

• Donator
  • 5 posts

Probably just matter of taste? I like the web novel very much.

19.jpg

Solidus

Solidus

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts

The manga has the plump raccoon girl.  Every page with her is a winner,

Guest_MidoriKitzune_von_Kartoffel

Guest_MidoriKitzune_von_Kartoffel
  • Guests

So I started reading the manga. And I found it quite good, in fact so good that I wanted more. So I read up that this was based on the web novel, and that it´s been translated way past the manga. Eagerly I started reading from the beginning. 

And 119 CH (Warehouse?) later, I´m confused. The writing is so...ehm...how should I put it? Amateurish? At this point I´m questioning if it´s the translator´s fault. After some research and asking a friend that´s from Japan to read the source material, he told me that the source material is in fact real bad amateur work and it was a boring read. So the fault didn´t lie with the translator, and the translator actually tried his/her best to make it more interesting for us to read.

Now, I know. I´m not a writer, and I try not to be rude about this, but damn the, the original work sucks. 

I´m just so amazed that the manga artist/author made such a great manga outta "that". I can hardly believe it. Maybe the source material was meant to be presented with both pictures and word to show is truest potential, or maybe the manga artist/author is just  damn amazing?

The novel is made by a true amateur.

WN was turned into a LN. Some pros edited that. So LN is better then WN.

The translation is from youraikun and co are still from the WN.

The Manga has it's plot from the LN mostly + some changes i think.

Still if you read the WN and have a good imagination. You can see what the author wanted to show us. It's just easyer to bring something alive with pictures then words~

Most WN are bad .... i myself am trying myself in a selfmade one just for fun. And to get these ideas out of my head.

For these to became "good" and "really enjoyable" a staff of pro editors and others is needed most times. Then Artists ... and co.

I personally like the WN translations. Up to the part of 150ish. Then it gets ... somehwat heavy on reptiveness. Dullness and stupidty.

Edited by MidoriKitzune, 22 December 2014 - 02:54 PM.

UnholyCrap

UnholyCrap

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts

Coincidentally, the WN is actually better written than a lot of other popular WN's I've read.

Mushoku is very popular but the writing is so self serving and obnoxious I can't even finish reading it.

As someone else pointed out, WN's are exactly that, it's basically amateur writing that became popular.

well I think it really is all about taste cause I think mushoku is one of the best "books" I've ever read and i just finished the overly hyped Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy (was pretty good, completely different, but still mushoku is more fun to me)

The novel is made by a true amateur.

WN was turned into a LN. Some pros edited that. So LN is better then WN.

The translation is from youraikun and co are still from the WN.

The Manga has it's plot from the LN mostly + some changes i think.

Still if you read the WN and have a good imagination. You can see what the author wanted to show us. It's just easyer to bring something alive with pictures then words~

Most WN are bad .... i myself am trying myself in a selfmade one just for fun. And to get these ideas out of my head.

For these to became "good" and "really enjoyable" a staff of pro editors and others is needed most times. Then Artists ... and co.

I personally like the WN translations. Up to the part of 150ish. Then it gets ... somehwat heavy on reptiveness. Dullness and stupidty.

it gets more heavy and repetitive? i really like the manga but if theres something that bothers me is that every chapter there is someone who hates the main character with no real reason and EVERYONE even a Lizard acts like a jerk to him...

Edited by ThirtyFiveAdams, 22 December 2014 - 09:17 PM.

FakeHero

FakeHero

Potato

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationReality, sadly...........

@all

Interesting input everyone, I just got a new insight to it all now. And indeed, if you think about it, the whole expressing the idea is what´s important then I get it.

You mean that one with the otaku being reborn in a fantasy world? I hated that one. Not just talking about the WN/LN, even the manga. Self-indulgence and wish fulfilling fantasies are okay, with limitation. But the **** is it with Mushoku? There´s nothing but these two things. Is at the point that it has become disgusting to read. And looking at the spoilers...............indeed, obnoxious and self serving would describe it pretty well. But I guess it´s exactly the kind of fantasy many Japanese otakus like.

Edited by FakeHero, 22 December 2014 - 10:12 PM.

Bloody Sorcerer

Bloody Sorcerer

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 38 posts

@all

Interesting input everyone, I just got a new insight to it all now. And indeed, if you think about it, the whole expressing the idea is what´s important then I get it.

You mean that one with the otaku being reborn in a fantasy world? I hated that one. Not just talking about the WN/LN, even the manga. Self-indulgence and wish fulfilling fantasies are okay, with limitation. But the **** is it with Mushoku? There´s nothing but these two things. Is at the point that it has become disgusting to read. And looking at the spoilers...............indeed, obnoxious and self serving would describe it pretty well. But I guess it´s exactly the kind of fantasy many Japanese otakus like.

I was reading and liking mushoku tensei till volume 9. Volume 9 totaly insulted my intelligence. I'm sorry but that was way beyond any forced conclusion.

SwordNoob

SwordNoob

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationTiny little Belgium

I was reading and liking mushoku tensei till volume 9. Volume 9 totaly insulted my intelligence. I'm sorry but that was way beyond any forced conclusion.

I honestly still liked that volume tbh, it didn't feel that forced to me. Of course, I'd read spoilers and that made a difference, but still. I'm stuck somewhere halfway through volume 11 now though. It's too... prefect, somehow. It gets better, I know, and it really resembles Arifureta a bit and I like that one somwhat, so I keep telling myself to finish the damn thing. But then I discovered the true potential of webnovels (The Zombie Knight, Worm, Worm) and I haven't gotten back to it. I'll stick to the manga for. And finish Worm. And Zombie Knight. WOOOORM

On Sunday, God abandoned the world after admitting failure.

geenius3ab

geenius3ab

Potato

• Members
  • 187 posts

For me it's the other way around. Mangas rarely can't hold a candle to novels/WN/LN or whatever. And it's the same with this manga. Especially considering that it takes so many stupid liberties in the story that it shouldn't have taken. For example they completely ignored 1 side character (Tailor.) here who isn't going to be important in the novel but still is present even later on in the novel and they just choce a silly dungeon chapter for clothing.

I hate it when mangas take unnecessary liberties and leave out all the small flavor touches that the artist worked hard in putting into the novel.

Zenith_Tempest

Zenith_Tempest

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 83 posts
The WN is better imo too. They are adding events that don't happen just to needlessly prolong it. Then they cut over events that detailed the story more.
Also, I love Mushoku Tensei. It shows how Rudeus grows up and realizes his errors of his past life as well as shows his determination to be different. And it actually doesn't tease harems, it's actually there. Moreover, the world is extensive and I love that. Especially the fact that the author added maps.
Anyway, back to the subject. I'd be fine with the LN and manga if they followed the WN. Adding stuff is just so unnecessary. The race, the hunt for a gem, that never happened in the WN and it really didn't need to.

Disabling all limiters.

tumblr_nld3jcEGtn1r7hrmoo2_500.gif

PerfectDeath

PerfectDeath

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts

I honestly still liked that volume tbh, it didn't feel that forced to me. Of course, I'd read spoilers and that made a difference, but still. I'm stuck somewhere halfway through volume 11 now though. It's too... prefect, somehow. It gets better, I know, and it really resembles Arifureta a bit and I like that one somwhat, so I keep telling myself to finish the damn thing. But then I discovered the true potential of webnovels (The Zombie Knight, Worm, Worm) and I haven't gotten back to it. I'll stick to the manga for. And finish Worm. And Zombie Knight. WOOOORM

Volume 13 got better, since it focused on adventuring a dungeon. So, it had a build-up, a climax, and a conclusion.

But one thing I often find WNs doing is having plot pacing issues, since they do not always have to spend a lot of time managing what is delivered and how long it is delivered.  Sometimes you do not get the conclusion after a half-baked buildup, thus the climax can feel off.

TheDefend

TheDefend

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 31 posts

manga will never hold a candle compared to the WN/LN due to the amount of content being cut. also, nobody will probably translate from the LN because it's just that much harder compared to WN

Kuroiikawa

Kuroiikawa

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationXillia

I think people have to realize that the manga cannot provide every bit of detail a web novel/light novel can in one chapter. Since the manga chapters have page limitations, the mangaka is forced to compromise and cut out several things. It's sad, yes, but I give props to the mangaka for maintaining a balance between content, action, and pacing. Honestly, if you want to blame something for the cut content, blame the system.

Also, would you guys consider the WN to be more or less an original fanfiction?

pokeroots

pokeroots

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 40 posts
I don't know I really like WN as they don't have to go through a second opinion like think about how different Harry potter would have been if Rowling had been allowed to do what she wanted with the story... Ron's dad dead Sirius alive and I don't even want to know how many changes were made to the last book sometimes I wish things only needed to go through a proofreader

MagicWafflez

MagicWafflez

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationOhio

rofl are you trolling?
I actually thought that the WN is tons better than the Manga,

Naofumi seems like less of a jerk and WWWAAAYYY less winey in the WNs. 

I read the manga first and I somewhat disliked him, I thought he flew off the handle waaayyyy too easily and was entirely too dramatic about everything. It didn't seem very believable to me.

geenius3ab

geenius3ab

Potato

• Members
  • 187 posts

I think people have to realize that the manga cannot provide every bit of detail a web novel/light novel can in one chapter. Since the manga chapters have page limitations, the mangaka is forced to compromise and cut out several things. It's sad, yes, but I give props to the mangaka for maintaining a balance between content, action, and pacing. Honestly, if you want to blame something for the cut content, blame the system.

Also, would you guys consider the WN to be more or less an original fanfiction?

But with that the thing is, it depends on what they cut out and what they change. The thing with THIS manga is that pretty much everything that was cut out or changed was done so in a illogical and retarded way. Because both the Clothing and Race thing changed stories that weren't actually long at all and it was unnecessary to cut that.. And to make things even worse the RACE thing actually contradicted the main story that comes apparent later on as well. So it actually ruined the story somewhat by making it inconsistent with the main story + the main character doesn't have a drive to start peddling now that the normal story was changed by the retarded racing thing (Want to see the explanation for the peddling that will come now.).

And they left out a fun eccentric character (Tailor) who will slightly affect some characters later on into the story as well (Atleast it was like that in WN.).

So yeah there's a time and place for cutting or changing parts of the original story. And up till now I don't think that this manga has done that well at all. Rather it has done a diservice to the story and characters that the author has written.

But about the WN being bad.. I personally feel like the quality of the writing has gotten lower and the focus of the story has gotten off mark in the novel but it still has some interesting things going for it, but it simply isn't as good because the focus has come off the main character in the later chapters.

Nanaya

Nanaya

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts

Eh, there's always going to be fluff cut out. Haven't read an WN->LN transition that didn't.

Fiction has to hold a suspension of disbelief. While in reality doesn't give two shits about it, hence "Reality is stranger than fiction" quip.