Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

I don't get it how is this Seinen?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

NewMangaLover

NewMangaLover

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

I don't understand why the subjects depicted is for older people in anyway.

N33t

N33t

Fingerling Potato

• Contributor
  • 88 posts

It's listed as Seinen because the magazine Ojojojo appears in is aimed at adults, that's all (actually they run ads for 30+ dating agencies there, so it apparently isn't even exclusively aimed at YOUNG adults either).

There's a lot of comedy manga like this aimed at adults, so it's not like it's unusual either.

xedea

xedea

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

In my opinion, Shonen, Seinen, Shoujo and Josei tags are useless to indicate genre.

Edited by xedea, 23 October 2014 - 12:07 AM.

Seijass

Seijass

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 13 posts

In my opinion, Shonen, Seinen, Shoujo and Josei tags are useless to indicate genre.

Well, those actually refer to the readers' age demography rather than genre, it's just that Batoto puts them under "genre"... maybe "tags" would've fit better since it's a wider term, but it's not that big a deal.

One question though, why does the magazine's target reader matter in determining the age demography in here?

Edited by Seijass, 23 October 2014 - 02:45 AM.

N33t

N33t

Fingerling Potato

• Contributor
  • 88 posts

One question though, why does the magazine's target reader matter in determining the age demography in here?

How would you determine it otherwise? The magazine's target demographic is what the manga is aimed at in the publisher's eyes, so it's kinda official.

Aoitenshi1

Aoitenshi1

Fingerling Potato

• Donator
  • 50 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

How would you determine it otherwise? The magazine's target demographic is what the manga is aimed at in the publisher's eyes, so it's kinda official.

I don't think there is a guideline on defining a manga as Shounen or Seinen, so I agree to N33t's argument here.

Featured Projects:

- Lady Ayane is a Sanova B**chi

- Raisekamika

Roses are red,

Lilies are awesome.

Won't you donate?

to aoitenshi.com

Buy Me a Coffee [link here]
Become a Patron! [link here]
Send some bitcoin (too expensive) satoshi? 1KjFCmpFiXDBLL6RwKJGkDhaQwe9JMx6nf

tsukubane

tsukubane

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Kids are more into the super hero truth and justice stuff, Adults can understand and enjoy the hard truths of the world along with philological tones.

In a way it reminds me of my childhood. But with less action and fighting.

KaazaLite

KaazaLite

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 35 posts
While there are certainly attributes associated with the categories "shonen, shoujo, etc," attributes that are far more telling than that of any other tag, these attributes were asserted base on general consensus and are not intrinsic to the meaning of the tags themselves. For example, an "action" tag obviously mean there will be action but a "shonen" (meaning "boy") tag doesn't tell you anything unless you associate attributes to the tag.

Officially, these tags are just defined by the magazine they're published in; however, it is certainly useful to talk about them as if they're a type of genre rather than just base the magazine, cuz as I said, the attributes associated with these categories tell you more of the general idea of a story than other tags.

The lines between "shonen" and "seinen" is pretty thin though, as they often have the same or similar attributes associated with them. The same can be said for "josei" and "shoujo."

Edited by KaazaLite, 20 July 2015 - 02:55 AM.

Jelise

Jelise

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

Shounen, seinen, and so on are arbitrary and solely depend on how the demographic in Japan is reacting to certain things at any given moment (and thus how the industry reacts to how they react).  They do not show the target demographic for this site except to give you an idea of what to expect if you know where the current trend in Japan is going.  For instance, many moe fluff pieces are seinen because that's where the seinen demographic wants it to be, and the seinen demographic react kindly to such media.