Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Where have I seen this art style before

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

keoss

keoss

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts

I keep having the feeling I have seen this art style before. Must be from one of those old manga I have read. I am trying to figure out which manga that is, or who is the mangaka who made it.

However my quick Google dive gives me people praising this manga with "unique art." Well....

Anyone has any idea who the mangaka I am trying to look for could be?

IlikeLolis

IlikeLolis

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • LocationUnder your Skirt

He's apparently only done 2 other works, neither of which has been translated or published in english.

Its possible he might have worked under someone without his name going on the book, but it would be difficult to find out for sure.

His other works are called Discord and Doumei Ningen no Tsukurikata(Recipe for an Invisible Man).

keoss

keoss

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts

He's apparently only done 2 other works, neither of which has been translated or published in english.

Its possible he might have worked under someone without his name going on the book, but it would be difficult to find out for sure.

His other works are called Discord and Doumei Ningen no Tsukurikata(Recipe for an Invisible Man).

Oh yeah I should have mentioned that I found out about those two other works and I am sure those aren't the ones I am looking for. Thanks tho :D

eelz

eelz

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNortheastern USA

It could be reminding you of Hellsing / Drifters, because of the slender character designs and eyes. It's been bugging me, and that's the closest I've found.

Azure Mirage

Azure Mirage

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

Same here, it's been really bugging me like an itch I can't seem to scratch. I for a second thought it was by the dude who did drifters but that seems to not be the case. Regardless I do enjoy the art style and the comedic effect.

NullApostle

NullApostle

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationGermany

To me it looks like a mix between Kohta Hirano's art, Nanatsu no Taizai's art and the art from Ran of the Gray World. Stylistic influences also seem to come from Beelzebub and some older comedy mangas (whose names I can't really remember).

Well, whatever. It's good and it works.

Archmage Lezard

Archmage Lezard

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 30 posts

Maybe you saw it in a hentai manga somewhere?

(No, I'm not trolling. There's a significant percentage of mainstream mangaka who started out with doujins and hentai - as an example, Paladin Anderson from Hirano's masterpiece Hellsing was originally in a oneshot hentai he made called Angel Dust. You want a real eyeopener, try Googling the shit that Kasukabe Akira's done.)

There is only one Swagamoto, and I am his prophet

Common Sense Bro

Common Sense Bro

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

personally, the faces remind me of this one H-doujin artist by the name of ShindoL.

IlikeLolis

IlikeLolis

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • LocationUnder your Skirt

The Eyes and Mouth have a lot of detail compared to Shindol, He also draws more rounded and circular features and gives off a puffy feeling.

Jitsu wa comes off as being very angular, and with alot of attention to shading.

But I can also say that what Kohta Hirano, Shindol and Masuda Eiji have in common is that they all seem to remind me of the American Comic style.

So perhaps it just feels a little less foreign, and a bit more Western.

Edited by IlikeLolis, 23 December 2014 - 05:17 PM.

Haggardblaz3

Haggardblaz3

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts

for some reason the character designs remind me of Mizukami Satoshi's stuff a bit, for reasons I can't really explain :/

Edited by Haggardblaz3, 17 January 2015 - 08:24 AM.

Meow Zorg

Meow Zorg

Potato

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNapa, California

pretty sure i have seen it from some hentai

To be honest i believe that fan service is terrible

bemused1

bemused1

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

Speaking as a Westerner who knows nothing of the above, it reminds me of Jack Davis, who did MAD magazine articles. You may have to go back quite a while to find Jack's work. I don't know when he quit working with MAD.

Taraku

Taraku

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

This remind me of Majin tantei nougami neuro with violence. 

Edited by Taraku, 11 June 2015 - 06:33 AM.

ShouJoe

ShouJoe

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationIn the GMT timezone.

It looks strikingly similar to another school manga I've seen. It's even got the whole supernatural stuff goin for it too, and it's completed and up on batoto somewhere - it's heavily battle focused, though.

The main character is a totally normal person, while everyone around him has superpowers given to them by some transhumanist cult that runs the school. One of them uses screws as weapons, can turn back time, and never wins at anything - apart from that I don't remember much about it, but it also had a very heavy emphasis on romance. It's similar to this in a lot of ways, but I just can't remember the name.

MrIncognito

MrIncognito

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 14 posts

It looks strikingly similar to another school manga I've seen. It's even got the whole supernatural stuff goin for it too, and it's completed and up on batoto somewhere - it's heavily battle focused, though.
The main character is a totally normal person, while everyone around him has superpowers given to them by some transhumanist cult that runs the school. One of them uses screws as weapons, can turn back time, and never wins at anything - apart from that I don't remember much about it, but it also had a very heavy emphasis on romance. It's similar to this in a lot of ways, but I just can't remember the name.

You're thinking of Medaka Box

wojo

wojo

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

I have been scratching my head about this too and it occurred to me it might remind me of Jormungand.

ZerOMegA

ZerOMegA

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

Hoshi no Samidare?

3fdS4-1.jpg

La locura es un placer que sólo el loco conoce...

digitalromance78

digitalromance78

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Hoshi no Samidare?

My thoughts exactly... thanks for reminding me... 

Dariamus

Dariamus

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

Medals Box

kosaka

kosaka

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

it sorta reminds me of koe no katachi/a silent voice?