Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

New site skin!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
154 replies to this topic

david82794

david82794

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 12 posts

c816bd1102.jpg
well seems like the header is fine if your screen is wide enough. 

on a side note, i fine the font for the text way way too small. its making me have to squint :c

also and it'd be nice if the header was smaller (not as tall).

Edited by david82794, 04 September 2014 - 10:39 PM.

Joshua Langford

Joshua Langford

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationInside your heart

Loving the new skin, minus the issue with the chat button ofc

Edited by Joshua Langford, 04 September 2014 - 11:12 PM.

L2fIoox.png

Daktyl

Daktyl

Discord King

• Contrib Mods
  • 825 posts
  • LocationMI, USA

mine looks even bloody worse:

definitely not choosing this skin until you figure out how to use relative width on your site maker, or whatever you're using. it's bland and dull in color, impractical, and looks like a ten-year-old throwback. what's wrong with sylo and blood?

1. He is using themes created for IP.Board, the underlying software of the site.

2. "It's bland and dull in color" could be seen as a good thing. It's not distracting when, for instance, you're trying to read something.

3. I don't understand the ten-year-throwback line...

4. Sylo was created for an older IP.Board version and doesn't include some features that the version Batoto uses is capable of. Blood is there as an alternative skin for people who want a dark background. I personally wouldn't really call it an... "inviting" skin for new users to the site (since it's so dark overall).

I don't like It very much either, It is not BAD BAD but I don't think you should make it default. 

Recently a user posted a custom CSS that looks very good in my opinion and I had an idea: could you make something like a contest were people send their custom CSS and the most voted gets added as an optional skin?

That custom CSS is a Stylish theme on top of Sylo (using Sylo's elements). Read earlier to find out the issues with using Sylo as a base...

Here's a quick fix for the header buttons appearing on a second row. I'm sure it can be improved if I can find the Javascript that resizes div#logo (looks like that wasn't Javascript after all).

Add following css style to the <body> element:

min-width: 1500px;

Like I said, it's just a quick fix.

Edit:
Here's a somewhat better version:

#primary_nav {
    height: auto; /* instead of 110px */
}

Can be improved even further, but I'm going to sleep now.

I tried writing a stylish script using your "somewhat better version" and it did nothing :'(. I take that back. But it less "fixes it" and more "works around the invisibility part". It still drops down a line :(

I'll try messing around with it myself some more to see if I can't find a good, clean fix for it.

Edited by Daktyl, 05 September 2014 - 02:12 AM.

My words are my own, and do not represent Batoto in any way, shape, or form unless otherwise stated in the post itself ^.^

Viscoun

Viscoun

Couch Potato

• VisTrans
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

your desperation to defend the new theme is amusing, dakky

Daktyl

Daktyl

Discord King

• Contrib Mods
  • 825 posts
  • LocationMI, USA

your desperation to defend the new theme is amusing, dakky

I'm less trying to defend it and more trying to spread the truth. There's most likely better themes out there, yeah, but Grumpy probably also paid money for this theme out of his pocket, so I at least want to give (a fixed version) of it a try for a while...

Edited by Daktyl, 05 September 2014 - 02:17 AM.

My words are my own, and do not represent Batoto in any way, shape, or form unless otherwise stated in the post itself ^.^

Zageron

Zageron

Russet Potato

• tC Donator
  • 427 posts
  • LocationCanada

I dunno what's down everybody's pants, I really like the new theme. Text is good, could be 1 or 2 pt larger on the comic descriptions.

Yeah the icons do some weird re-positioning when the window is too small, which is all the time because who full-screens a browser these days.

Edited by Zageron, 05 September 2014 - 02:33 AM.

Nihagi

Nihagi

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 28 posts
  #community_app_menu > li > a{
    width: 100%;
  }
  #community_app_menu > li{
    width: calc(11% - 0.2px);
  }

#primary_nav {
    min-width: 676.2px;
}
Umm ye.. it gets slightly thinner..
but does its job.
tho any change in ammount of buttons, means this code needs to get changed as well.

That custom CSS is a Stylish theme on top of Sylo (using Sylo's elements). Read earlier to find out the issues with using Sylo as a base...

Even so. "when talking about implementing custom themes from users"
It is possible to add a css file with all the modifications done on stylish and implement them on a IP.Board site, overwriting the old style.
Without ever changing any of the old code.
Just a simple copy pasta into a blank css paper on the admin page.

Its not pretty "professionally" to do it that way, but 100% doable.

Edited by Nihagi, 05 September 2014 - 02:55 AM.

Daktyl

Daktyl

Discord King

• Contrib Mods
  • 825 posts
  • LocationMI, USA

which is all the time because who full-screens a browser these days.

/me slowly raises his hand and looks away...

#community_app_menu > li > a{
    width: 100%;
  }
  #community_app_menu > li{
    width: calc(11% - 0.2px);
  }

#primary_nav {
    min-width: 676.2px;
}
Umm ye.. it gets slightly thinner..
but does its job.
tho any change in ammount of buttons, means this code needs to get changed as well.

Works like a charm. Now to just make it shorter   :batoto_028:

Nihagi

Nihagi

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 28 posts

Works like a charm. Now to just make it shorter   :batoto_028:

Wait why xD ?

Daktyl

Daktyl

Discord King

• Contrib Mods
  • 825 posts
  • LocationMI, USA

Wait why xD ?

Not width-wise, height-wise. And because

1. tall, skinny buttons look weird

2. While reading, it adds extra distance that you have to scroll down every page to get to the manga itself :P

(just make it like, 90px or something)

Nihagi

Nihagi

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 28 posts

Not width-wise, height-wise. And because
1. tall, skinny buttons look weird
2. While reading, it adds extra distance that you have to scroll down every page to get to the manga itself :P
(just make it like, 90px or something)

Oh I see what you mean.

Spoiler

Have to wonder, why change skin now tho. when IP.Board 4.0 is coming soon.

Edited by Nihagi, 05 September 2014 - 03:39 AM.

varyingdegrees

varyingdegrees

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

When I switch to the new skin, this comes up in Chrome.

0TTgBSQ.png

I've always been confused about this and Google really doesn't do an excellent job of clarifying if I should be concerned. Could someone explain it better to me and tell me why it shows up only when selecting the Subway theme?

seadragon

seadragon

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

I actually like this skin. The problems I see are ones probably already mentioned:

• Resizing of the banner buttons so it fits on smaller screens without zooming out
  • The font in general needs to be increased 1-3 points to be read more easily

Love it so far, and can't wait to play around with it some more to see all the new features!

SeveringSoul

SeveringSoul

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationA complex society.

Somewhat refreshing,simple and fun to use.

animefanaticblack.gif

Nihagi

Nihagi

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 28 posts

0TTgBSQ.png
I've always been confused about this and Google really doesn't do an excellent job of clarifying if I should be concerned. Could someone explain it better to me and tell me why it shows up only when selecting the Subway theme?

Should be the same with any theme.
"the lock+yellow triangle icon"
Don't pay too much attention to it.. Twitter is pretty much the same.
While most sites arent even encrypted what so ever.
Batoto is partially encrypted.

Garga

Garga

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Really like the new skin. Looks nice and a welcome change.

Zageron

Zageron

Russet Potato

• tC Donator
  • 427 posts
  • LocationCanada

Spoiler

Usually this is caused by facebook button integration, since they're framing the button in.

Any embeds will cause this error if the source isn't encrypted.

Gnah

Gnah

Fingerling Potato

• Donator
  • 64 posts

4. Sylo was created for an older IP.Board version and doesn't include some features that the version Batoto uses is capable of. Blood is there as an alternative skin for people who want a dark background. I personally wouldn't really call it an... "inviting" skin for new users to the site (since it's so dark overall).

Could somebody expand on that? What features does Sylo not support that newer versions do?

Marian5390

Marian5390

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • LocationIn the bushes. I mean, I am a snail, right?

The Blue and white theme gives off a feeling of Batoto in my opinion, so in my opinion the colour combination is quite welcome, it is however too white/bright. And like some others I do not like the windows 8/touch feeling it emanates, as it reminds me of everything I disliked about this. (Being the sharp edges which gives of the feeling of the win8 'app screen')

This. (Except the "too bright" part, that I don't really mind...)

To elaborate: I do like the colour scheme, but in general I don't much like the theme; mainly for these two reasons:

First. As others (the quote above as well) have stated, it gives off a simplistic, kinda touch screenish vibe. I think that's what the "10 years old" thing was about too, though it could've been stated in a nicer way. It just looks very... Plain. Boring. Too direct, much like the old websites of the '90s that were able to get by putting far more effort into content than design. (Nowadays it seems that as long as your site is pretty enough, people will use it no matter how crappy it is. xD)

The second thing is, I normally access batoto from my WiiU. (Not many people know this, but it has a lovely web browser. ^^) I find the gamepad's screen just right for reading manga and the controls are pretty much perfect too. (I can use the stylus or, if I want, scroll with the control stick and change pages with the D-pad.) Therefore, while practically every other post has already mentioned this, the button error is quite annoying. On my tiny screen, not only the chat button but also the donate and members buttons are pushed into a second row. My suggestion would be to either make all the buttons smaller or maybe keep the most important buttons and add a "more" button as well, which provides a drop-down list of the remaining options.

--EDIT--

Also this's been said before but the font is rather tiny... > <'

Edited by Marian5390, 05 September 2014 - 06:04 AM.

So I decided to go for a full signature upheaval but I have no real idea what to put here for now... So I guess just have a link to the lovely utaite Kradness's current newest song.

I mean, who could say no to this voice? (It's called Buraikku Jikoraizer by the way)

And you know what? While I'm at it take my favourite Reol song too. Reol and nqrse's (pronounced Naruse) cover of Mousou Zei is amazing.

Mousou Zei, or Delusion Tax, a song by Deco*27 originally done with the vocaloid Hatsune Miku

(Just as an extra note, Buraikku Jikoraizer is originally a Kagamine Len song by Jesus-P, if you ever want to find the original)

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationHere of course!

Response to quite a few things...

I didn't initially catch the buttons at the top being an issue b/c i have big screen... I will be fixing that.

seems Batoto.com url is no longer function, and batoto.net leads to bato.to 

Both should lead to bato.to and I've tried both of them just now.

Blue is so overused these days.

It's been our theme since the beginning. I think it's worthwhile to keep the slight-navy blueness that is identifying of Batoto. This site actually supports dynamic color choosing for each user. but it was messing up with our cache/settings and had to disable for now. It does seem theoretically possible, so I'm trying to still work it out.

Something i noticed while using the new skin, the Footer utilities when you are at the comment section on a comic page cannot be seen (unless highlighted) because the font is white and also the background...

Thanks for catching that. Will change.

EDIT: Fixed. Will have to wait for cache to refresh though.

mine looks even bloody worse:

[image]

definitely not choosing this skin until you figure out how to use relative width on your site maker, or whatever you're using. it's bland and dull in color, impractical, and looks like a ten-year-old throwback. what's wrong with sylo and blood?

Uh... are you zoomed in? That doesn't look normal even for mobile.

You can use blood. But I don't want to use a dark theme as default, it's not very welcoming as someone else mentioned.

Sylo is made for 3.2 and was adapted for 3.4. I don't quite remember exact difference list. But you are free to check IPB's site for 3.3 and 3.4 changes. 3.3 is the major one that altered way skins work.

See above re. color.

[image]

well seems like the header is fine if your screen is wide enough. 

on a side note, i fine the font for the text way way too small. its making me have to squint :c

also and it'd be nice if the header was smaller (not as tall).

Okay. Will increase font sizes in various spots.

Edit: Base font size increased from 11px to 13px.

0TTgBSQ.png

A mixed content warning means that the page itself is in https (secure) but not all the contents within the page are http (unsecure). To create a secure environment, everything, ie 100% of the elements in the page should come from a secure source. But as this is a forum that allows third party resources like linked images (like in signature, avatar, embedded images), ads, etc., securing all the items is not possible and why you are getting mixed content. The addition was made so that you can login securely should you choose to. The login page as well as base forum should always be able to yield full lock.

Just as a general advice (not pertaining to us), you should never enter any important private information unless you have a full lock.

Edited by Grumpy, 05 September 2014 - 07:17 AM.