Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Kubera Translations discussions thread

• Please log in to reply
1974 replies to this topic

Boggyb

Boggyb

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 891 posts

Something to fix in Chapter 2-99: http://puu.sh/biGgq/c35bb4c601.jpg

Tierra

Tierra

Baked Potato

• The Company
  • 1,912 posts
  • LocationGermany

^i know. i know xD but too lazy atm

~*~ Kubera ~*~ Kubera Wiki ~*~ Kubera Fanart ~*~ Kubera TL(En)~*~

~*~ Smile today, tomorrow could be worse. ~*~

smthFishy

smthFishy

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  • Locationsubmerged

Doonge, your presence honors us! Are you a Kubera fan here lurking in the forum shadows or are you curious how your javascript magic is being well-received (or a bit of both?)

First, the simple fact that one has to install anything is a drawback.  People are lazy (and I'm lazy aswell).

Then, one has to consider that it's a "different" way of doing thing that requires a bit of learning from the scanlators side.

Lastly, and maybe ironically, it is not said that the publishers welcome the increased foreign traffic (if their ads are not international), no more than teams hosting their own reader solution enjoy losing traffic and ads money.

Though nothing but mere obfuscation really prevents people from "stealing" the overlays and compiling them on their own, then releasing them on aggregators. So last point isn't really an argument I suppose.

I think it mostly boils down to ease of use, lazyness.  And that is a pretty good reason.

It's basically an alternative way of distributing, that might be viewed as more legal and that cost less bandwith from the scanlation team (overlays are tiny files compared to whole images), but that requires adaptation from readers and scanlators (which might be ultimately a bad thing, but ultimately I expect the official offer to be better so we won't rely on scanlation teams).

My "favorite" web browser is Internet Explorer (I need it for sharepoint, ok?). Most people use IE 8, since it comes with their favorite operating system. I'm not sure if IE works well with grease/tamper monkey, but my gut feeling is that it wouldn't. I mean, if you're tech savvy enough to install an alternate browser and install a browser add-on, you're already better than most people. So yeah, I think that might be a big reason that it's not catching on. 

I think though in the long run, it creates dependency. You're kind enough to donate time (and server as well) to get this running but you're also signing yourself up for long-term technical support. If one day you should decide to retire, then we'd be out of luck. 

And but not lastly... I've always distrusted javascript. There's definitely something fishy about javascript. I can't pin point it though....

LovelyLuvLuv

LovelyLuvLuv

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 363 posts

it's ok you guys when doonge dies we should have raised an army of kubera reading javascript ninjas to keep it updated. or... wait for it... kubera will be finished and officially (well) translated :D (although that's probably wishful thinking- on the other hand, do i want it to end??/.....).

i feel ya smthFishy though, it's good to be careful.  

Anyways just saw  99 and thought it was pretty great. can't wait until the rest of the pain train is scanlated. I know i sound lke a broken record but i really want to see gandharva and teo again soon :'(.

Doonge

Doonge

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • LocationBelgium

I'm not a Kubera fan (yet), I'm curious yes and also I was scouting because I saw Grumpy talk about how somebody would help making a script thing for Tower of God =p (I'm checking because if they are to use this overlay thing, maybe the best is to overlay directly webtoons.com instead of naver.com, since they do it merely for better translation).

You are right about IE8, but I'm not sure people who read webtoons are less tech savy than average surfers in general ^^

IE10 is supported though, but some people still have old computers so yeah...

As for the retirement thing, my guess is that the code will have evolved by then, and it will be easier to manage ^^

It's not as if it's a big thing either ^^

Marim

Marim

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 373 posts

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

sah90

sah90

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Thank you for this, really :) Made this account just to say that.

isiana

isiana

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 72 posts

I really love this :) It's so nice to be able to read full translations again. Just a minor thing - Asha's name is misspelled in the series summary.

Jassim Al-Madeh

Jassim Al-Madeh

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationBahrain

Odd Squad's website is blocked in my country... Do you think there is reason for that?

If not, then I'll ask for unblocking.

Edited by Jassim Al-Madeh, 03 September 2014 - 01:14 AM.

Can't decide

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

Ouch, that does remind me that some things are blocked in some countries. Many of Google's services are blocked here in China, in fact, I tend to forget because I use a VPN...

To answer the question above, I often find that web censorship is largely arbitrary. Like, if the site happens to share a same IP as a site that was blocked, it may be blocked as well, even though they have nothing to do with one another. Youtube is blocked in China for example, even though only a small fraction of the content could be deemed offensive somehow.....

Doonge, thanks a lot for your help again! :D As for Tower of God, I saw the message, but we've never heard from that person, so we don't know. As for pasting it over Naver's translations, that does sound like the best option. The problem is that said site has a nasty stretching function (which makes it look awful in a browser unless you're using work-arounds), and the official translations tend to 1. make much bigger bubbles with 2. much bigger text (bigger pain to clean, and sometimes plain uglier)

So somehow, it's just plain ugly. xD Of course, I wish good luck to anyone who'd want to try anyway...

It'd be really cool if we could have an 'alternative translations' function over there though. Though I doubt that'll ever happen. >_>

Edited by Mizura, 03 September 2014 - 06:20 AM.

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,
Official English Webtoons: https://www.webtoons.com

Tierra

Tierra

Baked Potato

• The Company
  • 1,912 posts
  • LocationGermany

Odd Squad's website is blocked in my country... Do you think there is reason for that?

If not, then I'll ask for unblocking.

You can also open the site on naver und paste this into the address bar (or put it into a bookmark):

javascript:(function() { var oss_js = document.createElement('script'); oss_js.type = 'text/javascript'; oss_js.src = 'http://static.oddsquad.org/js/naver.reader.oss.js'; document.body.appendChild(oss_js);})();

Tierra

Tierra

Baked Potato

• The Company
  • 1,912 posts
  • LocationGermany

Enjoy!

S2 Ch100: That Which Cannot be Grasped or Held (5)

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

Wow, reading it like this really makes you tear up. ;_;

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,

Doonge

Doonge

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • LocationBelgium

@Jassim Al-Madeh

It's a regular scanlation website, no idea why it would be blocked.

If you can use cache service websites, I suggest you fall back on them then:

http://www.cachedpages.com/

@Mizura

The stuff on webtoons.com is uglier you say?

I don't know ^^

But the stretching thing is desactivated if you use the userscript / bookmark anyway, so it's fine =p

Edited by Doonge, 03 September 2014 - 11:04 AM.

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

^ Oh really? That's nice. But yeah, it's still uglier on a browser. They optimize the reading for mobile phones, so the bubbles and text are often obnoxiously big. It's so annoying, I often prefer to read the series there on a mobile phone. xD

Anyway, as I said, the site-blocking often has nothing to do with the content of a particular website. If the servers of your hosting solutions are blocked, for example, all the sites hosted are blocked as well, regardless of what's on them. ;_;

3492bk6.jpg

Jassim Al-Madeh

Jassim Al-Madeh

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationBahrain

Tierra, Doonge, thank you :)

But they solve nothing.

I'll just ask for unblocking.

And for now, I'm searching for a good proxy and VPN program... Any suggestions?

I have Foxy Proxy but don't know what IP and port I should use...

Can't decide

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

I use Astrill. It isn't free, but it's the price of a few chocolate bars per month, and my internet is actually Faster with it than without it (even for unblocked sites). Go figure. xD

3492bk6.jpg

Tierra

Tierra

Baked Potato

• The Company
  • 1,912 posts
  • LocationGermany

Enjoy again. Tehehehehehe

Season 2 Chapter 101: Outsider (1)

Shess

Shess

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 307 posts

Enjoy again. Tehehehehehe

Season 2 Chapter 101: Outsider (1)

http://youtu.be/P3ALwKeSEYs

tyvm

Edited by TapDancingDog, 03 September 2014 - 04:54 PM.

tumblr_nd06mlXtkF1tgv0q6o1_500.gif

Jassim Al-Madeh

Jassim Al-Madeh

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationBahrain

The problem isn't the price (if it's not so high), but which way to pay.

I dislike paying through the Internet.

You use only the software? Seems like there are some (devices?)...

Edited by Jassim Al-Madeh, 03 September 2014 - 04:56 PM.

Can't decide