Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Kubera Translations discussions thread

• Please log in to reply
1974 replies to this topic

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts
This thread is to continue discussions of Kubera translations. 

Babo Kim Scans will continue scanlations for Kubera using Odd Squad Scanlation's overlay plugin. By using this method, you'll actually be reading at Naver's site, except with translations pasted on top, so it'll count as views for the author. :D All our thanks to Oddsquad Scanlations for all their kind help (go thank them from time to time at oddsquad.org, also check out their other series :) ).

FAQ:

1. How to view?

There are two methods:
(requires installing a script, but loads automatically after that)
(doesn't require installing a script, just requires a bookmark. You have to click on the bookmark link every time you open a corresponding page on Naver)

Both methods only take a few seconds. If one browser doesn't work for you, try another one to see if it works. Note: if you already have the plugin installed from before, open a chapter of something else being scanlated first (like this) to ping it (this will inform it that Kubera has been added to the feed).

2. Will you upload the older chapters of The Company?

Not unless they give us permission.

Once you've activated the plugin, just head on over to Naver. :D

Note: Oddsquad's scripts also bumps series being translated to the top of the list when you're navigating Naver Webtoon's weekly list, so you can find what else is being translated. Handy! :D

Edited by Mizura, 06 October 2014 - 02:11 AM.

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,
Official English Webtoons: https://www.webtoons.com

LovelyLuvLuv

LovelyLuvLuv

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 363 posts

just checked 98 out. AWESOME. Thanks so much youguys!!!

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

I know right? The cleaner and proofreader did an Amazing job. I'm still squealing over it too. I squealed over it the whole evening. x'D

I wonder if we can get a sticky?

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,

Mar Blackphoenix

Mar Blackphoenix

Potato

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationLatin America - MX

Whoa! Thank you!! I followed the instructions, awesome!! My respects to Oddsquad!!!!

I speak spanish, my writing/communication ability is very diminished when I switch my brain to english, there's a possibility that I pick the wrong words = forgive my grammar sins!! http://marblackphoenix.deviantart.com

Spoiler

BehindTheLighT

BehindTheLighT

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,847 posts
  • LocationItaly

Well done, I can't wait for yesterday chapter

I'm italian, so please excuse me if my english is not very good, feel free to correct me.

Kubera ITA

mangapaagal

mangapaagal

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Locationdelhi

this is simply magical,

i didn't knew that such solutions are even possible , with this technique , i believe, translations can completely  bypass naver's radar .

themantarays

themantarays

~A Majestic Ray of Light in the Dark of the Internet~ ☼_☼

• Comic Mods
  • 1,933 posts

Kinda makes you wonder why it was just oddsquad using overlays all this time.

Keep up the good work! I'd totally help out if I could! >.>

Edited by ♫The Manta Rays-Alright!, 02 September 2014 - 09:35 AM.

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

If you ever see Tierra, Internet and the other contributors who want to stay anonymous to a point (not sure how much), they're the ones you should be thanking (and of course Oddsquad's Doonge, who patiently explained to me the entire process :D ). I just did some managing and setting up (I asked the others if they wanted to be the ones to make this thread, but they seemed more interested in scanlating xD ).

Thanks Manta for the sticky! :D

Yeah, we should have started overlays much sooner. Especially, Doonge recently (?) made the process much simpler for scanlators, so there aren't many technical barriers left. :3

Edited by Mizura, 02 September 2014 - 10:25 AM.

3492bk6.jpg

Tierra

Tierra

Baked Potato

• The Company
  • 1,912 posts
  • LocationGermany

2-99 is online! :3

~*~ Kubera ~*~ Kubera Wiki ~*~ Kubera Fanart ~*~ Kubera TL(En)~*~

~*~ Smile today, tomorrow could be worse. ~*~

popabogdan

popabogdan

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 330 posts
  • LocationBucharest,Romania

this is simply magical,

i didn't knew that such solutions are even possible , with this technique , i believe, translations can completely  bypass naver's radar .

It's not that they bypass. They probably already know about them. But the methods are tottaly legal, beside they gain more views on their website =>more money

dondara

dondara

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 532 posts

Amazing... this was so easy. Being able to see the raws and read the translations in the same page :o. Thanks a lot for this awesome-ness.

smthFishy

smthFishy

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  • Locationsubmerged

Kinda makes you wonder why it was just oddsquad using overlays all this time.

Keep up the good work! I'd totally help out if I could! >.>

I can think of several reasons why overlays would not be a good solution. For one, it requires you to open up your browser to very malacious attacks (cross-domain javascript is really dangerous if you don't know what you're doing). It also assumes a stable, non-changing underlying image structure that Naver is using. If Naver removes an image, inserts an additional image, or rename their naming convention then the overlay will be updating the wrong image. You would also need someone with gosu javascript skillz to update the script from time to time, which not every scanlation team can afford. It's really why static images are still the way to go.

Tierra

Tierra

Baked Potato

• The Company
  • 1,912 posts
  • LocationGermany

Ah.. hahaha.. Mizura and I were messing around a bit xD

Spoiler

BehindTheLighT

BehindTheLighT

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,847 posts
  • LocationItaly

lol XD

I'm italian, so please excuse me if my english is not very good, feel free to correct me.

Kubera ITA

SaberWolf

SaberWolf

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 9 posts

Hello. I'm a fan who just started hounding the forums for more Kubera ( Never realised Such places existed in the first Place < ^_^).

Thank You Soooo Much for the translations!!!! Both the Babo Kim version and the overlay one.

*Looking sparkly-eyed at Mizura, Tierra, Internet, Odd Squad and every member who made this possible*

Edited by SaberWolf, 18 October 2014 - 02:05 PM.

Doonge

Doonge

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • LocationBelgium

I can think of several reasons why overlays would not be a good solution. For one, it requires you to open up your browser to very malacious attacks (cross-domain javascript is really dangerous if you don't know what you're doing). It also assumes a stable, non-changing underlying image structure that Naver is using. If Naver removes an image, inserts an additional image, or rename their naming convention then the overlay will be updating the wrong image. You would also need someone with gosu javascript skillz to update the script from time to time, which not every scanlation team can afford. It's really why static images are still the way to go.

Cross-domain javascript is indeed dangerous, but either way (userscript, bookmark) you control when the script is injected here, so it's really a minor trust issue (similar to the various addons one might use) which isn't really much considered in practice (maybe sadly so). The script is hosted on github, free for everyone to check, and github has a policy of removing pernicious code: at the first problem github will disable it.

Additionally, editing the script when needed is not each and every team's job. Anyone is free to contribute though, but it's not mandatory for each team (one developper is sufficient). And with the various iterations the code has already been through, adjusting the script when the HTML of the publisher's websites change doesn't require gosu javascript knowledge (parsing the publisher code and replacing/translating stuff is a routine that has been abstracted).

But to be fair, obviously there are drawbacks to this script thing.  And advantages.

First, the simple fact that one has to install anything is a drawback.  People are lazy (and I'm lazy aswell).

Then, one has to consider that it's a "different" way of doing thing that requires a bit of learning from the scanlators side.

Lastly, and maybe ironically, it is not said that the publishers welcome the increased foreign traffic (if their ads are not international), no more than teams hosting their own reader solution enjoy losing traffic and ads money.

Though nothing but mere obfuscation really prevents people from "stealing" the overlays and compiling them on their own, then releasing them on aggregators. So last point isn't really an argument I suppose.

I think it mostly boils down to ease of use, lazyness.  And that is a pretty good reason.

It's basically an alternative way of distributing, that might be viewed as more legal and that cost less bandwith from the scanlation team (overlays are tiny files compared to whole images), but that requires adaptation from readers and scanlators (which might be ultimately a bad thing, but ultimately I expect the official offer to be better so we won't rely on scanlation teams).

Nualie

Nualie

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,057 posts
  • LocationSomewhere I can daydream in peace, hopefully.

I read the new translations, (took me a while, to figure out how Java overlays worked, actually) and i think it's really awesome. I mean, not this much effort to do. Three clicks and you can see your awesome Kubera comic, it's really no big deal! If there's anything I can do to help, tell me... (although I can't do much...)

Ah.. hahaha.. Mizura and I were messing around a bit xD

Spoiler

XD But I thought "Baam" meant "night"? Translation error somewhere?

Some stuff I made: All's here!

My profile on fanfiction.net is here.

Check Kubera out if you don't know it!

Because it's fun to see Leez dying inside and outside all over the place it's a story of romance, psychology and humor. And horror. A little. 

Tierra

Tierra

Baked Potato

• The Company
  • 1,912 posts
  • LocationGermany

XD But I thought "Baam" meant "night"? Translation error somewhere?

It can mean both.. I think there was also an instance where one guardian of the floors called Baam "delicious" because of it XD

Nualie

Nualie

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,057 posts
  • LocationSomewhere I can daydream in peace, hopefully.

It can mean both.. I think there was also an instance where one guardian of the floors called Baam "delicious" because of it XD

Oh, is that so... Where are you in the scanlations, by the way?

Some stuff I made: All's here!

My profile on fanfiction.net is here.

Check Kubera out if you don't know it!

Because it's fun to see Leez dying inside and outside all over the place it's a story of romance, psychology and humor. And horror. A little. 

Tierra

Tierra

Baked Potato

• The Company
  • 1,912 posts
  • LocationGermany

Oh, is that so... Where are you in the scanlations, by the way?

Uh do you mean what I do?

Cleaning, helping (pre-)translating, typesetting and preparing the overlays.