Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Malware warning by Google [Incident: 2014/08/21]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
62 replies to this topic

Dr_No

Dr_No

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationVortices of nullspace

Well... a rather strange development in google safe browsing...

http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=chinkoki.com/

Listing that site as no longer suspicious when that is the site which was injecting the virus on us...

Maybe that site was an unknowing intermediary?  See this Google safe browsing entry:  http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=qipqip.in.ua/

Cake-kun

Cake-kun

Potato

• Contributor
  • 160 posts
  • LocationNot on your plate, hopefully

Maybe that site was an unknowing intermediary?  See this Google safe browsing entry:  http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=qipqip.in.ua/

It's a possibility. I mean, nowadays, I seen it all, with malicious phone jacking apps that spoofs itself as Adobe Flash Player and doesn't get rid of itself until you pay up happening to my family few days ago......

anthon41772

anthon41772

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

seems like sometimes when you click to go to next page it directs you to a page with no manga 
you just need to back page and wait a 1 sec and try again

Edited by anthon41772, 22 August 2014 - 05:02 AM.

madelinelime

madelinelime

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 34 posts

Gah, I was wondering why things seemed to suddenly have more spacing and was darker.

Crap, I couldn't remember how to spell something the other day and Googled it back here, but it never downloaded or tried to download anything for me, should I be concerned? I'm going to change my password at the least.

newy

newy

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts
Using FF. I remember several instances when FF asked me if I really wanted to leave the site? The timing of the pop-up dialogue was really random. Is that in any way related?

Edited by newy, 22 August 2014 - 07:36 AM.

Rhymenoise

Rhymenoise

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • LocationThe Earth

I got the firefox virus block too, its good to hear that the issue is being addressed.

Personally I run my malwarebytes scans everyday (on both my pcs and my phone, yes they have a free phone scanner) just to be sure, since you never know .

Also a suprising number of people still use IE, normally the less "tech savvy" use it due to it being the default browser on windows. My dad won't use anything else even after I explained that its the reason why stuff loads slowly. It has many security issues and is very poor compaired to FF and chrome.

Samhill

Samhill

Potato

• Members
  • 151 posts

I "ignored the warning" on Firefox with NoScript on, so hopefully I'm safe.

Grumpy, since it's new, did you send it to AV companies?

This may be why you couldn't get anywhere.

Since different programs detect different malware programs/have different hit ratios, I end up franticly scanning with multiple ones until I's satisfied I'm clean. Like three or four. But, I've only used OS X to visit in the last few days so....

"So round, so firm, so fully packed." - Daffy Duck, not talking about what you probably think he's talking about.

tachi

tachi

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

My antivirus firewall is now blocking batoto, so I was wondering if people are experiencing any trouble after accessing the site or if it's merely a result of the website being hacked and the antivirus software merely haven't received any updates about the site being safe again?

Xaal

Xaal

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts

I don't want to be that angry person... but whoever cause this to happen can go drown in their own saliva.

BakaBaka11

BakaBaka11

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts

...What happened months ago? We never had any similar issue in the past.

Its probably completely unrelated - some months ago when accessing batoto from android device a download of some "browser-update.apk" (or something like that) started. I think it was due to ads that time.

Edited by BakaBaka11, 22 August 2014 - 07:14 PM.

Evan Dark

Evan Dark

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 202 posts
  • LocationThe Tower 1F, drinking with Headon-nim

I'm using Firefox with NoScript from Linux. so can just happily ignore any Malware warning. I'll start taking viruses seriously, when they start targeting linux.

"I looked into the TARDIS, and the TARDIS looked into me..." - Rose Tyler (Bad Wolf)

prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationTiensha
Recently i got warning unable to acces the site. or server harddrive is unaccessible. but after reload 2 or 3 times. the batoto page would appear. and i'm scan my pc in offline mode (switch off my network) and found none. i don't know is this is the malware that grumpy mention. or just my network problem. otherwise batoto appear normal on my side.

but thanks for your warning Grumpy.

Edited by prongs12, 22 August 2014 - 10:44 PM.

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Does virus infect the computers of people who have been on this site?

I believe that is the intent.

But how worried do we have to be with it being at all successful?

mhh

mhh

Babo Kim

• Administrators
  • 3,754 posts

But how worried do we have to be with it being at all successful?

I believe if you take the normal precautions you should be fine. As normal precautions I consider most of all paying attention to what is happening when you use your computer or device. Is anything not behaving as usual? Is there anything happening that you think is not your doing? If you keep that in mind, have an up to date anit-virus software and on suspicion of being infected performed a test by standalone software and it did not turn up anything you can consider yourself as safe as you get.

While what Batato was infected with seemed to be hard to detect and rather elaborate it's not the same as what you might be infected with. It's likely much more standard and easier to detect.

Nyu

Nyu

Potato

• Members
  • 149 posts
Grumpy, you said we should report suspicious behavior, I'm not entirely sure what I should be looking for, could you give an example? It goes without saying that I understand the issue with downloading pop ups, but I don't exactly know what suspicious behavior would be.Thank you for the brief update too!
In time's of elimination
We've got nothing to lose
Please repeat the message
It's the music that we choose

Gendalph

Gendalph

Fried Potato

• Contrib Mods
  • 576 posts
  • Locationbeyond the Veil

Grumpy, you said we should report suspicious behavior, I'm not entirely sure what I should be looking for, could you give an example? It goes without saying that I understand the issue with downloading pop ups, but I don't exactly know what suspicious behavior would be.Thank you for the brief update too!

Anything that you could blame on virus/malware:
Random error messages
Sudden general system slowness
Ads in places where there where none before
Your ISP banning you because of harmful activity
etc.

• Nyu likes this

Dreamingflower

Dreamingflower

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 731 posts
I can't get on the site with the computer of my parents. I keep getting the virus warnings, but when I use my sis' laptop or my iPod like now I'm totally fine.

Posted Image

Now a story before falling asleep

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3707972/

F_T_L_Y

F_T_L_Y

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 25 posts

Hello...

Several days ago, I was reading Kasane when I was redirected to a site telling me to download the latest version of Java, which I did not do... Then, the site automatically started to download this thing onto my computer (I was using Chrome at the time), so I quickly cancelled the dowload while a message popped up saying that maleware has infected my laptop. Personally, I thought it was the ads... So I just re-enabled AdBlock and put it out of my mind... (After running a scan with Windows defender ending to 0 threats.) But now..... I don't know.... Is BATOTO going to be alright?

Cake-kun

Cake-kun

Potato

• Contributor
  • 160 posts
  • LocationNot on your plate, hopefully

Its probably completely unrelated - some months ago when accessing batoto from android device a download of some "browser-update.apk" (or something like that) started. I think it was due to ads that time.

it probably isn't. There are other sites with this problem, and I had a phone hijacked due to it

Rhymenoise

Rhymenoise

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • LocationThe Earth

Anything that you could blame on virus/malware:
Random error messages
Sudden general system slowness
Ads in places where there where none before
Your ISP banning you because of harmful activity
etc.

Actually now that you've mentoned it, for alot of last week I've been getting alot of lag/slowing down when I have Batoto up while I'm trying to play games. I was on LoL and it went up to 65 ping and back down to 30 when I turned off Batoto.