Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Official Line Webtoons - Kubera discussions thread

• Please log in to reply
416 replies to this topic

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

Post here to discuss the official version of the Kubera translations. In case there are readers here who only read the official version (you never know), please use spoiler tags when discussing chapters that aren't officially translated yet (or just discuss in the other threads). :)

I think the translations have improved to the point where we can focus on the story and not on the grammar. So, I think we can have a thread just to discuss the official translations. If you have an account there, remember to fave the chapters! (am I the only one who often gets errors when trying that, by the way?)

Anyway, chapter 8 out!

http://m.webtoons.com/viewer?titleNo=83&episodeNo=9#

Don't forget to support the author by liking each chapter. You can login with your Line, Twitter or Facebook accounts (though I've read comments of Twitter or Facebook accounts not working).

If Twitter or Facebook don't work, you can also install Line on your computer:

http://line.me/en/download

Edited by Mizura, 13 August 2014 - 10:00 AM.

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,
Official English Webtoons: https://www.webtoons.com

Horseshoe Crab

Horseshoe Crab

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 551 posts

Improved, but still not quite there. After a quick pass I found 10 mistakes or areas that should use improved wording, basically the sort of things I would send back to my English students (and this includes ESL students) for corrections if they wrote it themselves.

LovelyLuvLuv

LovelyLuvLuv

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 363 posts

ah! the first meeting with agni, so nostalgic. also some heavy foreshadowing. in retrospect every chapter is a little sad...  anyways, i've generally been inactive online due to kubera being on break and my life revolving (at least partially, especially me waking up on monday mornings) around kuberas....

Edited by LovelyLuvLuv, 05 August 2014 - 10:07 PM.

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

Horseshoe Crab: obviously, it isn't perfect yet. But to me at least, it doesn't melt my eyes anymore. I'm personally grateful for even that much. xD

I think for most of us, the number of "really annoying" mistakes are few enough be stuffed into the comment section there (though, the comment section keeps popping up 'inappropriate content found' for some reason. I had to check my sentences one by one and edit the culprit sentence until it stopped giving me that message).

I'm a bit surprised that they translated one of Leez' line as "Nor did I have the obligation for revenge." Well, that sentence was always vague.

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,

Horseshoe Crab

Horseshoe Crab

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 551 posts

You might have had an unintentional word match, like "...as someone..." gets flagged as containing "ass", haha.

Edited to add: You mentioned "it was"... Did the next word start with an "s"?

Edited by Horseshoe Crab, 06 August 2014 - 02:33 AM.

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

... OOOH!!! It must be that. Let me try.

*testing*

You're right! Any 'as' followed by 's' is marked. xD

Incidentally, it also censors 'week' followed by 'until', probably because of the 'k' and 'unt'. I thought they were censoring 'week' for some reason. I guess it's a good thing then that they there's an h in Khun in Tower of God. Otherwise, you wouldn't be allowed to use any word with 't' after 'Kun.' x'D

Edited by Mizura, 06 August 2014 - 02:53 AM.

3492bk6.jpg

smthFishy

smthFishy

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  • Locationsubmerged

I've been told that spacing is a particularly difficult aspect of Korean grammar. The engineer who programmed it must have decided to make the problem easier to program by eliminating all spaces before doing a string match. Thus, when applied to English, we get the issue above.

Horseshoe Crab

Horseshoe Crab

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 551 posts

It might be an east Asian thing? I wonder... I play the North American version of a popular Japanese game app, and their in-game messaging censors words in pretty much the same way, except their software replaces the offending word with **** at least, so you know where you need to edit.

themantarays

themantarays

~A Majestic Ray of Light in the Dark of the Internet~ ☼_☼

• Comic Mods
  • 1,933 posts

Lol I think they're just shit/lazy programmers. Although plenty of sites have poor filters....

Edited by ♫The Manta Rays-Alright!, 08 August 2014 - 03:39 AM.

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

Most likely, yeah. It did give me some interesting misunderstandings though. For a while, I thought they were censoring 'week' to prevent people from begging for multiple updates per week. xD

I also thought that they were somehow trying to censor attempts at correcting mistakes. >_>

But yeah, it just turned out to be really lazy programming. They just made a list of swear words, and made a program to parse for any succession of those letters. It's the easiest way of programming, and of course the one with the most problems. I bet words like assess, assemble etc. are censored as well. Someone else pointed out 'was' turned out to be a dangerous word too. xD

It really is quite lazy of them though. I bet there are free bits of code on the internet for just this function.

3492bk6.jpg

smthFishy

smthFishy

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  • Locationsubmerged

Lol I think they're just shit/lazy programmers. Although plenty of sites have poor filters....

No, I think it's how the programming model couldn't really fit both the Asian and Latin model of written structures. The Asian (Chinese-based) model has a basic unit of characters as meaning - and the characters have meaning in themselves, while Latin model uses words as basic unit of meaning. To search in an English sentence you look for a word; to search in a Chinese sentence you would have to look for a character.

However, to stuff a character into binary is no easy task. And to search for a phrase (a sequence of characters) is even more challenging, which is probably why the whitespaces have to be removed to work. And when you're writing an app you typically can only have one basic string type... unless you write TWO apps, one for US-Latin based and one for International version. 

themantarays

themantarays

~A Majestic Ray of Light in the Dark of the Internet~ ☼_☼

• Comic Mods
  • 1,933 posts

There are free profanity filters for English on the internet. Surely one of them is better than LINE's?

Edited by ♫The Manta Rays-Alright!, 08 August 2014 - 08:59 PM.

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

Random observation of the day: I think Twilight fangirls must have discovered the app. The vampire romances on the app (Orange Marmalade and unTouchable) seem to be the most-liked series on the app (even more than Noblesse and Tower of God, though Noblesse is ranked higher in views than Untouchables. Then again, Noblesse is also about hot vampires).

If Kubera were up-to-date, i.e. if it reached the romance parts, I bet it'd shoot up in popularity thanks to that crowd too. But somehow that makes me feel nauseous. =_=;;

3492bk6.jpg

Ivy

Ivy

Potato

• Contributor
  • 154 posts

Most likely, yeah. It did give me some interesting misunderstandings though. For a while, I thought they were censoring 'week' to prevent people from begging for multiple updates per week. xD

I also thought that they were somehow trying to censor attempts at correcting mistakes. >_>

Yeah, me too. I'm glad it was just a programming issue and not censorship of unfavorable comments. ¬¬

Random observation of the day: I think Twilight fangirls must have discovered the app. The vampire romances on the app (Orange Marmalade and unTouchable) seem to be the most-liked series on the app (even more than Noblesse and Tower of God, though Noblesse is ranked higher in views than Untouchables. Then again, Noblesse is also about hot vampires).

If Kubera were up-to-date, i.e. if it reached the romance parts, I bet it'd shoot up in popularity thanks to that crowd too. But somehow that makes me feel nauseous. =_=;;

Hey, at least when they read Kubera's 100th chapter of the second season they will feel nauseous too. It'll be like a slap in their faces. >=D If it weren't for the "romance and pretty boys above anything else" kind of fans, many webtoons wouldn't be as famous as they are, though.  *cough cough Noblesse cough*

Edited by Ivy, 09 August 2014 - 06:16 PM.

Spoiler

smthFishy

smthFishy

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  • Locationsubmerged

There are free profanity filters for English on the internet. Surely one of them is better than LINE's?

There is no such thing as a free lunch - google maps api is free for individual use but limited for business use. I think you only have 3000 requests cap per day, over which you would have to pay. 

In addition, Naver's in the portal business. Imagine a portal operator that needs to outsource their spam filtering function - would be the laugh of the town.  

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

Hey, at least when they read Kubera's 100th chapter of the second season they will feel nauseous too. It'll be like a slap in their faces. >=D If it weren't for the "romance and pretty boys above anything else" kind of fans, many webtoons wouldn't be as famous as they are, though.  *cough cough Noblesse cough*

Hahah, it would be very interesting to see their reactions to that. That is, if fangirls haven't learned to spoil themselves to death by then if Line Webtoons decides to never catch up (the start of Kubera may be slow, but there's no way fangirls will easily bear the cliffhangers later on, then they'll stumble across the raws eventually).

By the way, whoa, Line Webtoons has 1 million installs already.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.naver.linewebtoon

It achieved that in less than a month and half wtf?

Judging from some of the reviews, it seems many readers haven't realized that all series are translated from a Korean version available online, and that most series are very much behind (some are asking for more frequent updates to Noblesse for example, they'd know it's not possible if they aware of the Korean version). They'll all realize sooner or later though, and when that happpens Naver will have a messy situation for webtoons that aren't up-do-date. xD

• Ivy likes this

3492bk6.jpg

Ivy

Ivy

Potato

• Contributor
  • 154 posts

Judging from some of the reviews, it seems many readers haven't realized that all series are translated from a Korean version available online, and that most series are very much behind (some are asking for more frequent updates to Noblesse for example, they'd know it's not possible if they aware of the Korean version). They'll all realize sooner or later though, and when that happpens Naver will have a messy situation for webtoons that aren't up-do-date. xD

Maybe those translators that worked on the completed webtoons will be relocated to the other projects that aren't up to date?  *hopeful thinking* 

Spoiler

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

Episode 9 out!

http://m.webtoons.com/viewer?titleNo=83&episodeNo=10

Don't forget to like/comment/beg-for-faster-updates/point out mistakes (they mispelled Lorraine Rartia's name xD). I saw a few mistakes, I'll comment once I figure them out...

By the way, lol, it seems Line Play is offering in-game gems to people who install and recommend Line Webtoons. But there seems to be a big in the reward system. These past few days, the reviews section of Line Webtoons for Android is full of people complaining about their missing gems. x'D

Edited by Mizura, 13 August 2014 - 01:14 PM.

3492bk6.jpg

Horseshoe Crab

Horseshoe Crab

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 551 posts

I noticed they never fixed their translation mistake from last week. Ugh. Do you know if they are more likely to acknowledge mistakes if you list them in comments or if you use the "Ask a Question" form? (I probably asked this before but my head is killing me atm)

Edited by Horseshoe Crab, 13 August 2014 - 05:54 PM.

Tierra

Tierra

Baked Potato

• The Company
  • 1,912 posts
  • LocationGermany

they forgot the sfx when leez asks if all magicians are mindreaders.

and in the first panel when leez introduces herself the dust clouds are missing.

or did they fix it by now?

~*~ Kubera ~*~ Kubera Wiki ~*~ Kubera Fanart ~*~ Kubera TL(En)~*~

~*~ Smile today, tomorrow could be worse. ~*~