Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Japanese government crackdown of "illegal media", and possible effects

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Cake-kun

Cake-kun

Potato

• Contributor
  • 160 posts
  • LocationNot on your plate, hopefully

I'm looking for some discussions, but mostly, with recent Naver takedown requests and serious volume of CR's "scanlation" work (since they don't own the licensing right at all, just distribution), I would like to ask how this may affect us in the end.

all in all, what's the inevitable outcome? Can it hit us that hard?

Lanfear

Lanfear

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationFanfiction.net
https://vatoto.com/forums/topic/19513-japanese-government-to-start-anti-animemanga-piracy-operation-next-month/

tumblr_oj88tuwaZo1qh0pg6o1_250.gif

Sigrún Mercy

Cake-kun

Cake-kun

Potato

• Contributor
  • 160 posts

Well, I know we have GD thread already, but I feel like it belongs here moreso than there. It affects readers, translators, and pretty much everyone associated with this site

If this bothers someone, I'd ask to lock this thread, and I would request to bring the GD thread here.

Gendalph

Gendalph

Fried Potato

• Contrib Mods
  • 576 posts
  • Locationbeyond the Veil
We haven't got any DMCA notices so far, but you know our policy.

Cake-kun

Cake-kun

Potato

• Contributor
  • 160 posts

We haven't got any DMCA notices so far, but you know our policy.

they're most likely planning a total shutdown of "piracy", which, I doubt it'll work.

Why hasn't people realize internet is nothing but a digital library yet?

newy

newy

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

http://www.meti.go.jp/policy/mono_info_service/contents/downloadfiles/140414.pdf

http://pastebin.com/apXW67aP < for those who don't want to download the .pdf file

The list of sites (list starts on page 11).

Batoto is on the list

Edited by newy, 30 July 2014 - 05:31 PM.

Lanfear

Lanfear

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationFanfiction.net

Well, I know we have GD thread already, but I feel like it belongs here moreso than there. It affects readers, translators, and pretty much everyone associated with this site

If this bothers someone, I'd ask to lock this thread, and I would request to bring the GD thread here.

But you could add to the discussion there ;o

http://www.meti.go.jp/policy/mono_info_service/contents/downloadfiles/140414.pdf

http://pastebin.com/apXW67aP < for those who don't want to download the .pdf file

The list of sites (list starts on page 11).

Batoto is on the list

Mangacow isn't? ohohoh

tumblr_oj88tuwaZo1qh0pg6o1_250.gif

Sigrún Mercy

Black Phoenix

Black Phoenix

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 17 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Well, I have to say something, so I'm sorry about my english, since is not my first language...

Spoiler

About ways of seeing around this:

It's easy to put the "library" website down, but how about the original scanlators?

How easy is to crack down, if they have the servers on china or some country? About the law in other countries, how Japan can ask for cooperation? They could block and track down in their home turf, but they will depend on others to trackdown in other countries.

In America will be Crunchyroll, but in Portugal it didn't exist an distributor of Manga/Anime?

So Batoto may receive DMCA form distribuitors, but how about the countries without them?

Edited by Black Phoenix, 31 July 2014 - 12:02 AM.

A.B.

A.B.

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Locationnope ~

If the initial plan was to remove any, already uploaded chapters of said series and forbid the website from uploading anymore .....
in theory, if the scanlator's original site is unaffected by the actions and measures taken by this campaign participants _ granted the scanlators live outside of japan _
wouldn't be possible to turn around the new stated policy if the scanlators, rather than uploading chapters, provided hotlinks to their original website release instead ?

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

Mangacow isn't? ohohoh

Well, mangacow isn't a composite reader site like here and the other manga related sites I saw listed.....though I don't know that it makes a difference, but I only saw composite sites listed, no individual scan group sites like mc.

And isn't the vast majority of their stuff Korean works? So yeah, maybe they're under the radar for now......at least from the powers that be in Japan that is  :D

Tn7HA0h.png

Zero0mega

Zero0mega

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 19 posts

Still it leaves the question on how would this affect this website in general.  It really does remind me of the fall of Onemanga, that was a dark day when it happened, my heart almost stopped when i saw "batoto" name in the anti-piracy list.  So please someone shed some light on this.

Daktyl

Daktyl

Discord King

• Contrib Mods
  • 825 posts
  • LocationMI, USA

Still it leaves the question on how would this affect this website in general.  It really does remind me of the fall of Onemanga, that was a dark day when it happened, my heart almost stopped when i saw "batoto" name in the anti-piracy list.  So please someone shed some light on this.

As far as I am aware, they are not taking the sites down. They are, instead, sending a DMCA takedown notice for a collective 530+ series to all sites on the list (some of which might be shut down as a result of failure to cooperate, etc etc). This means that a ton of very popular series are no longer going to be on Batoto, but in the big picture it's probably like 10% (if even) of Batoto's entire collection.

Like I said though, they are most likely going to be the most popular series of the cooperating 15 publishers, so most of the manga reading sites are going to struggle to regain a userbase afterward since they'll all receive MUCH less traffic.

Luckily, they 15 publishers are also working with a website ( http://manga-anime-here.com/ ) that can point you to where you can legally consume many (but not all, and only then in English) of the series being taken down. There's no guarantee about the quality or up-to-date-ness of the results, but they are all official and legal. Most, if not all, will require money though :/

Edited by Daktyl, 31 July 2014 - 05:23 AM.

My words are my own, and do not represent Batoto in any way, shape, or form unless otherwise stated in the post itself ^.^

Shrimpeh

Shrimpeh

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationCity of Legacia

Luckily, they 15 publishers are also working with a website ( http://manga-anime-here.com/ ) that can point you to where you can legally consume many (but not all, and only then in English) of the series being taken down. There's no guarantee about the quality or up-to-date-ness of the results, but they are all official and legal. Most, if not all, will require money though :/

sorry,
but that piece of shit website gives the impression that they don't even care.
Things are not up-to-date, and mostly only available in the us.

Lonely-signature.png

my ideal girl: nice, shy, beautiful, loyal, outgoing, half-traditonal, half modern,  preferably black hair or red hair, has a sense of humor, a little nerd-ish / otaku-ish. 

Subbed

Subbed

Ascending Cat

• General Mods
  • 256 posts

As far as I've heard, the targeted sites are mainly being Chinese. Long story short, this will be nice to watch. The Japanese and Chinese were never on good terms, so I really don't expect the Chinese government will do any favours to the Japanese on the matter, nor take any requests. I believe this whole operation will mostly end in a failure overall.

vash-the-stampede

vash-the-stampede

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts

I just hope publishers won't be sending takedown notices for manga they have no intention of ever translating... So let us keep an eye out for manga that have already been officially translated if there are any on here. There are many good manga that were never officially translated at all and of which would never have had any attention if not for scanlation teams and translators.

Edited by vash-the-stampede, 31 July 2014 - 01:01 PM.

Zero0mega

Zero0mega

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 19 posts
So I'm guessing this will be the last time we read shougeki no soma and the other hot manga

vash-the-stampede

vash-the-stampede

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts

So I'm guessing this will be the last time we read shougeki no soma and the other hot manga

probably..

Is there anywhere we can see the takedown list? I hope the publishers will make the manga-anime-here.com easier to navigate if they want to navigate us towards 500+ series and not link to 15+ different sites.

Edited by vash-the-stampede, 31 July 2014 - 01:25 PM.

S.C.

S.C.

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,258 posts
  • LocationThe Epicenter of Indifference

Let me say it again, Batoto is pretty much the only site that will take content down.

It's hardly the first time bigger sites like mangahere or fox received a DMCA.

Posted Image

Cake-kun

Cake-kun

Potato

• Contributor
  • 160 posts

But of course, technically speaking, they also have right to request all the media to be taken down from IP those companies own.

The ones listed are 80% of the major ones and they pretty much cover... a lot.

I doubt they seriously will, but in case of Media Factory, they been C&Ding fansubs privately for ages (since 2004-ish? I don't remember but still) and there are few Japanese publishers who has sent C&D for specific IP to fansubbers/scanlators

well, there's that, and the fact that once something gets licensed, we're technically not supposed to have them float around in internet, which was the basis of the fan translation in the first place. The speed of the translation, in that equation, doesn't matter. At the same time, we now have reader sites where scanlators use as publishing medium, where sometimes removing stuff is close to impossible...

Zero0mega

Zero0mega

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 19 posts
Still kinda nervous how many manga will be removed. Hell I'm still freaking out about the anime website I go to watch anime as well. -sigh- I guess a crunchyroll account is for seeable in my future