Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Japanese Government to Start Anti-Anime/Manga Piracy Operation Next Month

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

Rukene

Rukene

Potato Sprout

• Contributor
  • 6 posts
  • LocationThe Fragment
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/07/28/japanese-government-to-start-anti-animemanga-piracy-operation-next-month

Batoto affected ?

1394146698-signature2.png

Hoodsome

Hoodsome

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • LocationGuadalcanal, Solomon Islands

this day keeps getting better and better

10540402_747724025270550_686098280868443

Chocolate Chip

Chocolate Chip

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 628 posts

Anyone mind copying and pasting the article for those of us in countries that crunchyroll has blocked?

Shrimpeh

Shrimpeh

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationCity of Legacia

Anyone mind copying and pasting the article for those of us in countries that crunchyroll has blocked?

Spoiler

Batoto affected ?

i sure hope  not, but we will know in the next week i suppose...

My toughts:

They never learn, do they?

They have every right to so, but this isn't the smart way to solve the problem.

While the government has started supporting the genre as one of their important cultural exports

about 20 years too late ._.

On August 1, the government will start simultaneously sending requests to delete illegal anime and manga contents to the operators of the 580 foreign pirate sites which they have found.

that's the most they can do atm.

They can't forcebly take down pages that are hosted somewhere else.

In addition, the operation will launch a new site to guide the fans to a legitimate site offering some 250 titles including

the latest ones at a cost of several hundred yen.

up-to-date? with good translation?

available in every country and not only the us and japan?

Edited by Alex Shrimpostur, 29 July 2014 - 08:37 AM.

Lonely-signature.png

my ideal girl: nice, shy, beautiful, loyal, outgoing, half-traditonal, half modern,  preferably black hair or red hair, has a sense of humor, a little nerd-ish / otaku-ish. 

Kannade

Kannade

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,204 posts
  • Locationkonoha

we'll have to wait and see what happens on august 1st.

RBT

RBT

Fingerling Potato

• Contributor
  • 96 posts
The Cultural Affairs Agency estimates the loss caused by the Chinese pirate sites last year was amounted to at least 560 billion yen (about US$ 5.5 billion).

So I'm hurting the industry by not buying Japanese manga that has no official English translations, or manga that are not available in my country? That's great to know. I sure am eager to buy manga that's not up to date and is localized now.

Edited by RBT, 29 July 2014 - 01:02 PM.

Will of NGE

Will of NGE

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,701 posts
  • LocationGeofront

Major bad news for us who's access to the content is blocked because we don't live in the US or Japan, or don't know Japanese.

fkq1S2q.jpg

Gif Response Unit

Spoiler

Deadbybored

Deadbybored

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

the japanese government underestimate their enemy then, the internet. -_-
oh, and the power of otaku around the world. lol

dissident

dissident

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationWay south.

The right way to stop "piracy" (or reduce it to unconsecuential levels) is to offer a legal option that is at least as good as the "pirated", a good, affordable and convenient service that everyone can use, until they do this people will continue to get what they want in whatever way is available to them, and this is the internet, good luck trying to stop them (us).

Edited by dissident, 29 July 2014 - 02:16 PM.

'...if you are not like everybody else, then you are abnormal, if you are abnormal, then you are sick. These three categories, not being like everybody else, not being normal and being sick are in fact very different but have been reduced to the same thing'
-Michel Foucault

mezzy0

mezzy0

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • LocationDark Ones City

This is the reason why I want to go in japan LOL

tumblr_n32c34BaVG1tnry25o1_500.gif

Teriguu

Teriguu

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 62 posts

Same thing reported here:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/07/28/national/crime-legal/japan-plans-campaign-curb-manga-anime-copyright-violations-abroad/#.U9erpkB4e9K

|

DeathDot

DeathDot

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationBahrain

Well it's not like this is the first time that a Government try to fight piracy 

Chilled SDK

Chilled SDK

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 259 posts
  • Location...

Well, this week has just been terrible.

Theoderich

Theoderich

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 83 posts

The very point is that it must be affordable. I still think about the thousands of Euros I've invested in my Mangacollection so far, and in the several hundreds into anime and another 1000+ Euro into music and several thousands for games.

Imported goods are expensive but localized goods are mostly sold for exorbitant prices ( most manga here cost between 6,50 Euro and 12 Euro per Tankobon, anime like 5-6 Euro per Episode on DVD!!!)

Spoiler

Since most foreign countries don't have such high income as the people in Japan have, it's nearly impossible to buy these things for these prices, especially since those are not hard copies but digital ones(meaning they have no real value except for the copyright on them ...).

Spoiler

And seriously, some 230 series? There are thousands of different anime series out there, so who are they to decide which we may buy and which we may not unless we come to Japan to pay ridiculous prices since their DVD-market is broken...(not to forget our tariff-agencies who crave to rob us off a second time when then product wants to enter our country just because they like to proliferate much :()

Spoiler

Edited by Theoderich, 30 July 2014 - 12:04 AM.

17.jpg

madelinelime

madelinelime

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 34 posts

This is just like the situation with Detective Conan; not only was the localization positively awful, it's many issues behind. The only reason I caught up and then bought official merchandise is because of the fan translations. They don't want my money, I guess. I hope Batoto is in the clear, but I'm going to save my watch list just in case, which makes their list hilarious. I already have 226 on my watch list on here.

rpapo

rpapo

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 29 posts
  • LocationUSA

MAL posted a link to a Power-Point, converted to PDF format.  The top web sites were: MangaReader, MangaHere, MangaFox, MangaPanda, SubManga, DM5, MangaStream, Dongmanzhijia, Aimanhua, KissManga, Batoto, and so on.

They specifically list some thirty sites for reading manga, another 65 for viewing anime, 24 file sharing sites and some 33 torrent sites.

The only real question is whether or not the various countries decide to take the Japanese seriously, or allocate any resources at all to cooperating with them.  China appears to be the biggest offender (from the Japanese point of view), and given how things have been recently I can hardly imagine them cooperating with the Japanese on anything, let alone intellectual property rights.

Edited by rpapo, 30 July 2014 - 11:14 AM.

amc9988

amc9988

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

Why Batoto...NOOOOOdoes thhis mean Batoto will go down?

dissident

dissident

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationWay south.
 those are not hard copies but digital ones(meaning they have no real value* except for the copyright on them ...).

*They do have value besides the copyright, what they may not have is cost aside from it, which is not entirely true either since bandwith does cost money.

MAL posted a link to a Power-Point, converted to PDF format.  The top web sites were: MangaReader, MangaHere, MangaFox, MangaPanda, SubManga, DM5, MangaStream, Dongmanzhijia, Aimanhua, KissManga, Batoto, and so on.

So sad they don't care about the difference between Batoto and sites like Mangafox and it's ilk. I hope this site survives, if not then only shitty ones will remain or keep popping up after being taken down.

'...if you are not like everybody else, then you are abnormal, if you are abnormal, then you are sick. These three categories, not being like everybody else, not being normal and being sick are in fact very different but have been reduced to the same thing'
-Michel Foucault

HXIII

HXIII

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 202 posts
  • LocationTau Volantis

It's a shame but all things must come to end.They have the right to do this,no matter what reason we come up with.
About time anyway.

"I will say them once we meet again. Until then, I will never give up. Even if everyone says you're dead… even if the spells show you are dead… even if your grave stands before my eyes, I won’t believe it. I’ll wait for you for the rest of my life. But, even that won’t repay the thing that you did to me. I will call you back to life. Even if I’ll be called stupid, I will wait for you. With all my being, I will deny your death."

Louise Francoise De La Valliere to Saito Hiraga 'grave'.
Taken from Volume 8 Light novel translation in BakaTsuki.Thank you for these translation,BakaTsuki Staff!

Cake-kun

Cake-kun

Potato

• Contributor
  • 160 posts
  • LocationNot on your plate, hopefully

Getting your series floating around online is a two-sided blade. It can increase your fans. At the same time, your work is lying around there, where you can't control it, for free.

the doujin market is strange place, not unlike fansub and scanning community (I myself have been doing this for about 7+ yrs). It has perks, such as you get access of these people who agrees with your hobby and tastes. At the same time, you acknowledge that you are not above the law, and stuff you're doing will never truly be 100% your work.

does this sound weird to you? Yes, it should be. It does apply to both doujin and scanlation/fansub. The fact that lines you translate is never going to be yours. The fact that characters you use is never going to be yours. (In retrospect, however, the original creator does not own your translation or fan works either, which is a good thing, but)

As a fan who speaks multiple language, accessibility means a lot to me. It's sad, but for me, being inaccessible means you're not going to get that. There have been quiet bit of takedown request for a while, and I'm not going to name any name but they lost a fan because they disallowed hosting in sites such as Booru. (Eastern and Western alike) Of course, they don't have an option yet, to sell their work, system similar to how doujin music artists are breaking into iTunes (dai of Higurashi / Umineko OST is great example), but even if they were available, would that stop someone from trying to get your work for free?

but, also as aspiring writer and creator, I also clearly know the feeling. It feels mutilating, when someone takes your work, unauthorized, and tries to shove in stuff that may or may not be the message you want to send, It's nice making your work known, it's grateful, but if what you wanted to do is truly lost.......

Edited by Cake-kun, 30 July 2014 - 04:11 PM.