Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Latest Chapter Discussion

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts
  • LocationManetheren, but more realistically Southern California

Since we've been posting all our latest chapter stuff under "Poor Bull," I thought it was time for a standard LCD topic to show up (rules of the forums, and all that).  

Anyway, I'm rooting for my favorite secondary character in the upcoming chapter.  For some reason, I absolutely love her.  I'm also enjoying the Isutoshi/Joukyuu craziness we've all come to expect from this mangaka and this manga.  Thanks Japanzai, for translating what has to be one of the funniest series to ever come down the pike.

Go Dornier!  Rule that Jeannot lapin!!

Archmage Lezard

Archmage Lezard

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 30 posts

Are you kidding me? At this point Bull is HALF the story of Aiki-S.

Seriously though, I'm really hoping this whole tournament doesn't end up as a rehashed retread of the Virtua Fighter anime/Dead or Alive movie where they're collecting people so they can feed data into their supersoldier. This author usually isn't so predictable - he wrote the very first hentai manga that I actually read for the STORY, believe it or not - but the latter part of the first Aiki, while still immensely enjoyable, was a random collection of anime martial art tropes only elevated by Jokyuu and his antics.

Oh, and Bull, Swagamoto bless his soul.

Edited by Archmage Lezard, 02 August 2014 - 05:04 PM.

There is only one Swagamoto, and I am his prophet

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts

Jokyuu, captured in his weakened state (dysentery), by the very ones he holds responsible for it.  Why do I have the feeling that the Orleans group is going to wish they shared the fate of Mussolini when this arc is over and done with.

Weaper

Weaper

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 242 posts

Are you kidding me? At this point Bull is HALF the story of Aiki-S.

Seriously though, I'm really hoping this whole tournament doesn't end up as a rehashed retread of the Virtua Fighter anime/Dead or Alive movie where they're collecting people so they can feed data into their supersoldier. This author usually isn't so predictable - he wrote the very first hentai manga that I actually read for the STORY, believe it or not - but the latter part of the first Aiki, while still immensely enjoyable, was a random collection of anime martial art tropes only elevated by Jokyuu and his antics.

Oh, and Bull, Swagamoto bless his soul.

Slut Girl, you know it!

Isutoshi rocks and I don't know what but I imagine him just as Joukyuu.

Posted Image

Sun-Ken RockGunnmMemories of Enamon

Spoiler

RhythmiC

RhythmiC

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNorthern Sweden

Ch. 12: Dafuq did I just read? Isutoshi certainly expanded the range of the story's elements with this chapter, but damn, he seriously touched ground that no author should ever walk upon.. so to speak.

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts

Uh, is diarrhea a verboten subject or is defeat of Jokyuu a place no mangaka should tread?  I'm confused.  The humor is definitely there.  This is a manga with a "comedy genre."  What is the line that was crossed. Japanese humor can, at the same time, be more earthy and more subtle than American humor, but what is the ground that "no author should walk upon?"  

Is poop/fart humor funny? In my opinion, it depends entirely on how it's presented.  The "Shrek" scatological humor is pretty contrived, and very unfunny.  In Aiki S, the humor is part and parcel of the plot, and while it may be fairly graphic, it's still part of the plot.  It also fits in extremely well with the "sensibilities" of the Orleans group.  

A British author once quoted a female character as saying, "One can be funny without being vulgar.  One can be both funny and vulgar.  I suggest you try to be one or the other."  This manga is definitely trying the second of the two choices, and seems (to me, at least, to be succeeding).  Is the humor vulgar?  Definitely.  Is it funny?  Well, it is to me.  If you don't like it... Well, read something else.  

Isutoshi is a mangaka who wrote (rather well-written) hentai.  He also writes (fairly ecchi) mainstream manga.  For his aficionados (like me), he has a riotous sense of humor that keeps us coming back again and again, no matter how his manga go up or down the ecchi scale.  Do I appreciate his ecchiness?  Of course I do, but if that was the only draw, I'd be reading some hentai site's manga, rather than what batoto puts online.  

So lean back and enjoy a mangaka's sense of humor that is unlike anything else in the manga world.  If you can't howl with laughter at Jokyuu's antics and trolling, read something else.  It definitely ain't for everyone, and I'm not judging people's taste.  For me, it is one of the funniest series in our sad, stupid world.

Archmage Lezard

Archmage Lezard

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 30 posts

I've got no problem with sophomoric humor, when put in its proper place - I loved Blue Mountain State, which pretty much captures the entire zeitgeist of the whole 'Dude-where's-my-American-pie-and-Harold-and-Kumar-bro' genre. At same time, I kind of get where RhythmiC is coming from - it's less an issue of the humor and more of 'main-character' dignity. I hate tropes as much as anyone on this board, but at the same time, there was something just off with Jokyuu literally losing his shit like that.

It's not like One Piece, where the so-called main character Luffy is just actually a shard of the real main character, the Straw Hats as a whole. You can get away with him showing his nuts to a whole tribe of clueless Amazon's because, hell, we've established he's kind of a moron (and I say that with all possible affection) since Chapter 1. Personally, I'm amazed that they never ran a bad stomach gag, what with his bad eating habits.

Aiki, on the other hand, while having some interesting side characters, has been built up AROUND Jokyuu as the whole Damn show. He's a millenial badass, a cross between James Bond (he gets laid with Metara by what, chapter 5?), Kenshiro the Younger (let's face it, Raijin is a thin ripoff of the Hokuto Hakuretsu Ken), and Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock (in terms of sheer amounts of douchebag). While Isutoshi has taken care not to build his myth of invincibility to Goku levels, I have to admit, having him poop right in front of an arena of hot chicks drops his level of awesome down for some people.

Edited by Archmage Lezard, 03 August 2014 - 05:28 AM.

There is only one Swagamoto, and I am his prophet

iamalfaandomega

iamalfaandomega

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationItaly

It's strange, i'll admit it. Funny but strange. Strange but funny. And in a twisted manner, i think that's right that Joukyuu is a clown. He didn't take seriously what he do best (martial arts), why he has to be serious about everithing else? He's a man that lives only for his lust, and in this is a professional.

I am Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last
sorrvy8.jpg
 Né dei, né giganti

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts

I agree.  I think he's being portrayed as the ultimate troll.  He doesn't give a damn about anyone else's opinion of him, and goes his own unique way, living large as though the rest of the world is an amusing pageant solely for his own entertainment.