Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

LINE Webtoons : Official translation service

#towerofgod #webtoon #manhwa

• Please log in to reply
428 replies to this topic

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 3,395 posts
Someone in Manga Reddit sent Naver an e-mail on how to support Webtoon authors and got answer back that Naver is planning to open official service in English.

http://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/1xsh68/naver_soon_completely_in_english/

7/1/2014 its out!

mobile site link: http://m.webtoons.com

ToG link: http://m.webtoons.com/episodeList?titleNo=95

Google downloads link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.naver.linewebtoon

Appstore link: n/a

Edited by Random-Webtoon-Fan, 02 July 2014 - 08:59 AM.

Dr.Cheese

Dr.Cheese

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,454 posts
  • Locationbathroom

I am not too optimistic of the translator team. But happy nonetheless.

The Hero Appears! The Hero Appears! The Hero Appears!

Spoiler

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 3,395 posts

I am not too optimistic of the translator team. But happy nonetheless.

Even in the worst case senario which the translations are horrible, at least foreign fans get chance to support authors!

Euklyd

Euklyd

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 12 posts

Haven't they had English translations for a while?

http://comic.naver.com/en/index.html

How is this different? Is it a question of how much is translated, or the frequency of translation or something?

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

Mmmmm.......it'll be interesting to see what actually happens. We'll see.  :)

Tn7HA0h.png

Will of NGE

Will of NGE

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,701 posts
  • LocationGeofront

Wonderful news.

But I have two worries and they are connected.

What if their translations end up as bad as we've seen then in what was released in english and if they fuck up the names...

and what does this mean for TheCompany?

fkq1S2q.jpg

Gif Response Unit

Spoiler

Apan

Apan

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 234 posts

Naver would be smart to hire translators such as The Company, who have already proved themselves. Why search for another translators when there are many who have done this kind of work before and would be willing to cooperate with them.

wuhugm

wuhugm

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 239 posts

Damn... I wanted it to stay a niche...

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

Naver would be smart to hire translators such as The Company, who have already proved themselves. Why search for another translators when there are many who have done this kind of work before and would be willing to cooperate with them.

That might be a pretty big assumption on your part, you know. Doing something as a hobby is one thing, entering into a contractual, business type relationship might be another thing entirely...........from both points of view.   :)

Tn7HA0h.png

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 3,395 posts

Haven't they had English translations for a while?
http://comic.naver.com/en/index.html

How is this different? Is it a question of how much is translated, or the frequency of translation or something?

That is promotional site, and this is (apparetaly) full traslation.

are you really sure this site will be have easy access and that it will feature at least most of their webtoons that are official and not best challange?(maybe even bestchallange O_O)

will all chapters be translated or some?

will we be supporting the authors by subscribing to them, rating their chapters and buying the books from the online site like korean fans do?

i demand mor information as politely as i can

This would be fully translationed fro m start to ending, but other then that it is quite unrevealed info. They even have not announced it officialy yet!

Wonderful news.
But I have two worries and they are connected.

What if their translations end up as bad as we've seen then in what was released in english and if they fuck up the names...
and what does this mean for TheCompany?

For the last time. ANDROTHY ACTUALLLY SOUNDS CLOSER TO HER ACTUAL NAME!!!

I KNOW some companies work like this way, but I think Naver would not because of copyright problems and such. (It would look like they are encouraging illegal scan teams and such.)

Dr.Cheese

Dr.Cheese

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,454 posts
  • Locationbathroom

We are supposed to be relieved SIU will get more fans and support. But it can have the opposite effect. Bad translations can be off-putting. As well as when they try to incorporate cultural jokes into Westernized customs. It would not do the story justice. That's just how I feel when I see badly translated manga in bookstores sometimes.

The Hero Appears! The Hero Appears! The Hero Appears!

Spoiler

iconxraiza

iconxraiza

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts

Will it be simultaneous? The Japanese translation sometimes delayed.
It would be nice to if we can support the author directly. But to be honest, my first tho is hopefully I do not need to use IE for a better view lol

For the last time. ANDROTHY ACTUALLLY SOUNDS CLOSER TO HER ACTUAL NAME!!!

I KNOW some companies work like this way, but I think Naver would not because of copyright problems and such. (It would look like they are encouraging illegal scan teams and such.)

Androthy just awkward for now. Too late haha. I always read it as Androssi even raws.

True. I don't see how Naver would see the company in a positive view to be honest. Scanlation is in such a grey area.

Edited by iconxraiza, 14 February 2014 - 02:33 AM.

gus

gus

Couch Potato

• tC Donator
  • 2,335 posts

great new's !

Edited by gus, 14 February 2014 - 01:31 AM.

m5siUe7.jpg?1

Hoet

Hoet

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 323 posts

i don't like their translations though :/ They use juvenile and uninteresting language that ends up destroying the thrill. Not to mention there were quite a few grammatical errors in the previewed comics, simple ones that show a lack of proof-reading.

hmmerp_zps488b0742.png

gus

gus

Couch Potato

• tC Donator
  • 2,335 posts

i don't like their translations though :/ They use juvenile and uninteresting language that ends up destroying the thrill. Not to mention there were quite a few grammatical errors in the previewed comics, simple ones that show a lack of proof-reading.

i doubt they well make mistakes when their official translation comes out

i think that was just a promotion  just to get the name out

m5siUe7.jpg?1

Skyrius

Skyrius

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts

You know, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that the promotional material isn't necessarily an indication of the level of a continuous, weekly, (possible eventually people buying books and actually spending money) publication.

Which I can believe because I've had similar experiences with Japanese-English merchandise. The promotional material that gets translated just tends to be done in more of a hurry and is meant to gauge whether or not a more refined product will be worth it. And then if it is, there's usually better quality control.

At the very least give them a chance to release a chapter before we start panicking. (and I will be panicking right alongside you if I'm wrong, don't worry)

White People

White People

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 27 posts

This is good news if it's actually true. Might be able to actually recommend this to people if it gets an official translation.

Lester

Lester

Mashed Potato

• Members
  • 5,452 posts

Anything that gets wider recognition for Naver and SIU is a good thing. The promo chapters do leave me a bit leery of what the quality might be, but we'll just have to take a wait and see approach and hope a proper, refined product will be handled with more care. As for character name issues, not a huge problem from where I sit. I'm not a big fan of 'Andorthy' either, but I can do mental substitutions. Already do so now when seeing Mad Dog's name in the Mangacow scan as 'Bhargav' rather than tC's 'Varagarv'. Doesn't cause me any issues.

gus

gus

Couch Potato

• tC Donator
  • 2,335 posts

i have a question tho could we be able to comment on Naver and rate the webtoon ?

m5siUe7.jpg?1

Will of NGE

Will of NGE

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,701 posts
  • LocationGeofront

RWF, we really don't give a flying duck what is closer to the real name.

It's about consistency, flow and appeal. The-name-which-shall-not-be-said is quite off-putting. And Androssi isn't the only one threatened by this, several other major characters could suffer this cruel fate as well.

This is a serious problem.

If you localised John Rambo, it would be Ivan/Jovan/Jani (croatian/serbian/hungarian respectively) for this region. And honestly, it's ridiculous. You go to a theater and watch Rambo be his usual badass, and then you hear, "Ivane, watch out!"

Honvetly, I would laugh my ass off and the movie would turn into a comedy. The thing is, we're used to common names and with them you lose a big part of the exotic that they come with.

If Androssi was an old hag, Androthy would be a good sounding name. But she looks like a teenager, she's definetly young and in the center of attention. It would a huge disservice to her and the Tower of God.

NAVER doesn't seem to have much experience with translations for a market that's so much different than theirs. That's why if they're smart they'll look toward the fantranslating groups who actually have years and years of experience localizing content for fans.

It doesn't matter if they officialy acknowledge the fangroup and what it did, as long as they do the right thing for the franchises and the fans. And fuc*ing up the names can hurt them and their releases.

I for am hoping they turn to the community for localization, even covertly.

fkq1S2q.jpg

Gif Response Unit

Spoiler