Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

[OOC] City of Angels

RP ooc sci-fi supernatural

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

Mors

Mors

Potato

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationSupra

db4b960b-d83b-451c-a61e-23d2be805765_zps

City of Angels

"Millions of spiritual creatures walk the earth 
Unseen, both when we wake and when we sleep."

~John Milton, Paradise Lost

Chapter 1 – God in the Machine
A story is, in essence, very similar to a machine. Crafted of anything from a few parts to thousands, both can be as simple or as complex as the need they are made to fill. Both also make use of the concept of a device, literary or mechanical. But what, precisely, is a device? Modern definitions have it as a tool, a construct, a means to an end. But like most words, once upon a time, it meant something very different.

Device: From Latin, “divisus” – divided. From thence, Old French: “devis” – design or plan. “Devis” itself, though, bore another meaning, one that still rings through to today in the spirit of the word. “Device” may be defined today as a means to an end. The word was born from “separation”, from “division.” But over time, it evolved into something else entirely.

It came to mean, “wish.”

15 years ago…

Sara woke up from another nightmare. It was the same one she always had – a flash of bright red light and the city engulfed in flames.  Though she saw it almost every night, the screams and the panic seemed as real as they ever did. Sara wiped the sweat from her forehead and crawled out of bed.

Though her father was regarded as one of the most important men in the city, the house they lived in was not large. She didn’t mind it though. It was just the two of them after all and her father spent most of his time puttering around with his machines in the basement. It was already near 3 a.m. but she could still hear the tinkering of metal and see flashes of light coming from below.

“Dad?” Sara called out to him from above the stairwell. She waited a moment. No response.

“Dad…?” She spoke louder as she began climbing down the stairs.

Shen she reached the bottom she saw her father, Leviticus Blue, standing in the middle of the room, almost unnaturally still. As if he were in a trance. His hair and clothes were disheveled and greasy, the obvious results of not leaving the lab for near a week.

“Dad, what’s going on?” she called out to him once more, though he didn’t seem to notice her still.

“I’ve finally found it. After all these years…”

“What’s going on? What did you find?” Sara was scared now. She was used to her father’s eccentricities but something about him seemed off now. He looked like a man ready to set the world on fire.

“God in the machine,” he responded, and the machine behind him made a screeching sound.

The room exploded into a flash of crimson light and Sara Blue lost consciousness. She woke up to the sound of smoke and sirens, but her father and his machine were nowhere to be found.

Premise

Spoiler

Hallows
Spoiler

Welcome to Arcadia
Spoiler

Character Sheet

Spoiler

Edited by Mors, 31 May 2014 - 04:32 AM.

Johnny Paradise

Johnny Paradise

Potato

• Members
  • 133 posts

I take issue with the adherence to a gender binary in your character sheet. In fact, it sickens me so much that I don't think I can even attempt to write up a character for this. You disgust me.

xoxo

here's to a long life and dead friends

tumblr_inline_nep6qkNSe41sok0j2.png

Vafhudr

Vafhudr

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 66 posts

Making the most of that English Lit degree I see. 

92242d14-d321-46c6-a0ac-45c7a9ce6bb0_zps

Johnny Paradise

Johnny Paradise

Potato

• Members
  • 133 posts

Spoiler

Edited by Johnny Paradise, 30 May 2014 - 03:15 AM.

Ilyse

Ilyse

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 87 posts

I'll have something up soon enough.

qnJ4kqN.jpg

nKFtmmv.jpg

"Shurima, your emperor has returned."

Unbelievably Majestic

Unbelievably Majestic

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • LocationRiding the back of the Great A'tuin.
Might tweak this a bit I guess. Otherwise it should be done.

Spoiler

Edited by Unbelievably Majestic, 31 May 2014 - 02:08 AM.

Jod

Jod

Potato

• Members
  • 146 posts

not sure what to make.... but workin on it

qEZtZafl.png

I AM HE. HE AM ME. ME IS HE

Mors

Mors

Potato

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationSupra

@Usey: So gay. Accepted!

@J0ker: Lookin good, Accepted!

a6f4b732-ee1c-43f9-a007-079ff2b01822_zps

"The sun is new each day."

Johnny Paradise

Johnny Paradise

Potato

• Members
  • 133 posts

we in the club, that's my song, you so gay ):

does anyone even know that song? is the reference lost? is it better for the world that it is?

Edited by Johnny Paradise, 30 May 2014 - 08:26 AM.

Midnightcat

Midnightcat

Potato

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • LocationDeep in the Fortress of Solitude

Sorry for the two bad CS before and your time :( , this the newly edited CS after taking your hint... hope this is satisfactory for you.. :D

Spoiler

Edited by Midnightcat, 02 June 2014 - 05:15 PM.

Mors

Mors

Potato

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationSupra

I looked over both CS's. For your first character, I would expect to see actual references to the setting I created rather than someone apparently living in a completely different universe suddenly attaining powers. Beyond that, being depressed and suicidal does not necessarily equate to interesting. How did he get that way? You mentioned his parents cold and materialistic, but didn't elaborate further. As for the second character, I'm not sure you were even trying. He turned into a hallow while making a pizza delivery? Really?

If I sound blunt or rude, I apologize as I don't mean to be. However, I would rather see a single, well developed and interesting character than two mediocre ones. I'm afraid neither display the level of writing I'm expecting for this RP. 

Midnightcat

Midnightcat

Potato

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • LocationDeep in the Fortress of Solitude

Posted a new CS ~ sorry again for the failed attempt before..

Diabolical Rhapsody

Diabolical Rhapsody

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 642 posts
  • Locationin Oblivion, checking out the tapestry.

@Mors: Can peeps with a little average writing skills still join?

giphy.gif

If you have the time: 

Spoiler

Mors

Mors

Potato

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationSupra

I don't want to discourage people from joining, just submit something and we'll see Frigid ^^

@Midnight: Good job reworking the character, it's a lot better. I would, however, like to see the history actually tie in with the setting I've created. It still seems like he grew up in some normal every day sorta place and not a futuristic city and the CS fails to mention any of his struggles actually living as a Hallow.

Edited by Mors, 30 May 2014 - 05:46 PM.

Johnny Paradise

Johnny Paradise

Potato

• Members
  • 133 posts

ya Dino is worst writer in the world, so he can't be allowed to judge too harshly.

Ilyse

Ilyse

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 87 posts
Spoiler

Edited by Clare d'Lune, 02 June 2014 - 10:14 PM.

qnJ4kqN.jpg

nKFtmmv.jpg

Mors

Mors

Potato

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationSupra

Interesting character Britza. Just a couple of minor quips. Could you possibly add more details about the hotel itself? Also ghost stories would undoubtedly attract the attention of SERAPH, so I hope you have some countermeasures for when they go sniffing around.

Ilyse

Ilyse

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 87 posts

Made edits. Not too sure what you wanted to know more about the hotel, so I added a description of the interior, a "floor plan", and some more ghost stories.

qnJ4kqN.jpg

nKFtmmv.jpg

Mors

Mors

Potato

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationSupra

Looks good, accepted~

Whirlwind

Whirlwind

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • LocationEye of the storm
Hope this is okay

Spoiler

Edited by Whirlwind, 31 May 2014 - 06:03 PM.

Party, Whirlwind Style

Monokuma-whirlwind.gif