Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

need help to choose in ear headphones.

in ear headphones

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

rc1138

rc1138

Potato Spud

• Donator
  • 46 posts
I used to have a lot of different headphones, but only recently started using in ear headphones. As of now I have only two of them: standard samsung headset unit and sony xba-1.
I hope to buy sturdy and versatile headphones under 50$, which can play relatively good both electronic and rock music.

qg8m3S.gif

osakaki

osakaki

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 732 posts
  • LocationTake my crutches, I'm going back to the youth
I spent years selling headphones at my job, and I recommend these Koss Pathfinder earbuds (closest to the Sparkplugs I used to buy). The earbuds themselves are similar to earplugs in that you squish the foam down and put it in your ear, then it swells back up. So basically in that sense, they're noise-cancelling/noise-reducing. That also helps the sound quality as all the sound is directed right into your ear. The bass thumps.

For the value you get at that price, that's my choice.

Thelemonish

Thelemonish

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 37 posts

http://www.amazon.com/Astrotec-Balanced-Armature-Moving-Headphones/dp/B008FLWPKO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

These are one of the best as far as in ears go. I don't have them, but a friend has. Excellent build quality, great sound for its price, comfortable and even isolation if you need it.

rc1138

rc1138

Potato Spud

• Donator
  • 46 posts

http://www.amazon.com/Astrotec-Balanced-Armature-Moving-Headphones/dp/B008FLWPKO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

These are one of the best as far as in ears go. I don't have them, but a friend has. Excellent build quality, great sound for its price, comfortable and even isolation if you need it.

Thanks for advice. I think they are similar for xba-1( good for vocals and acoustic), in a way that they are both balanced armature with single driver. Though the price is superb.

I spent years selling headphones at my job, and I recommend these Koss Pathfinder earbuds (closest to the Sparkplugs I used to buy). The earbuds themselves are similar to earplugs in that you squish the foam down and put it in your ear, then it swells back up. So basically in that sense, they're noise-cancelling/noise-reducing. That also helps the sound quality as all the sound is directed right into your ear. The bass thumps.

For the value you get at that price, that's my choice.

I have two Koss headphones. One is ubiquitous koss porta pro and the other is UR-40. Both are unpretentious(especially compared to beats) but comfy and relatively cheap. As for the ones you mentioned, what is the difference between them and "the plug"?

qg8m3S.gif

osakaki

osakaki

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 732 posts
  • LocationTake my crutches, I'm going back to the youth

I have two Koss headphones. One is ubiquitous koss porta pro and the other is UR-40. Both are unpretentious(especially compared to beats) but comfy and relatively cheap. As for the ones you mentioned, what is the difference between them and "the plug"?

Good catch.  Maybe only the inline volume control?  I picked those because that used to be like the ones I used to have.

The Plug may be a newer design.

rc1138

rc1138

Potato Spud

• Donator
  • 46 posts

Does anyone own or at least tried sennheiser cx series? Some people praise it while others call it crap? And the same question about sony mdr ex10lp or more expensive ex310sl?

qg8m3S.gif

Thelemonish

Thelemonish

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 37 posts

Does anyone own or at least tried sennheiser cx series? Some people praise it while others call it crap? And the same question about sony mdr ex10lp or more expensive ex310sl?

I have tried their IE80's and they aren't that good. I think it's best to stay away from their in-ears.

rectum

rectum

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 44 posts

I use these when I'm commuting. Price is a little over 50$ but I can testify as it's one of my proudest purchases. 

Kannade

Kannade

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,204 posts
  • Locationkonoha

OKAY HERE WE GO YALL

the best earbuds I've ever owned in my entire life are the Munitio Billets I've had for about a year now. The only thing is that a lot of people have trouble claiming their warranty so once they're gone, they're gone for good. http://www.amazon.com/Munitio-Billets-Earphones-Universal-Control/dp/B00697HMIQ/ref=pd_sim_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0PNQWT0K5D66HM1VQBQV

Also like rectum said, the Klipsch S4i are also really good. I don't own a pair, but if you watch MKBHD's reviews on youtube he's raved about them a couple of times.

rc1138

rc1138

Potato Spud

• Donator
  • 46 posts

OKAY HERE WE GO YALL

the best earbuds I've ever owned in my entire life are the Munitio Billets I've had for about a year now. The only thing is that a lot of people have trouble claiming their warranty so once they're gone, they're gone for good. http://www.amazon.com/Munitio-Billets-Earphones-Universal-Control/dp/B00697HMIQ/ref=pd_sim_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0PNQWT0K5D66HM1VQBQV

Also like rectum said, the Klipsch S4i are also really good. I don't own a pair, but if you watch MKBHD's reviews on youtube he's raved about them a couple of times.

Wow. In terms of design they are too awesome. Still not sure why they didn't call it bullets.

I use these when I'm commuting. Price is a little over 50$ but I can testify as it's one of my proudest purchases. 

Thanks for advice. Engadget even gave them 85 points. As for the price, the rugged version is somewhat cheaper  , though since both my devices are on android(except my little companion ipod shuffle), my only choice is this. Too bad amazon doesn't ship anything to my godforsaken country. Need to find a way...

P.S. you have an awesome nickname. 

qg8m3S.gif

rectum

rectum

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 44 posts

Wow. In terms of design they are too awesome. Still not sure why they didn't call it bullets.

Thanks for advice. Engadget even gave them 85 points. As for the price, the rugged version is somewhat cheaper  , though since both my devices are on android(except my little companion ipod shuffle), my only choice is this. Too bad amazon doesn't ship anything to my godforsaken country. Need to find a way...

P.S. you have an awesome nickname. 

Yeah man don't mention it. I really like the shape of them, they're designed to fit your ear cavity better than traditional earbuds so they don't hurt or feel uncomfortable after extended use. I use mine on an Android device and I don't have access to the volume rocker but that's no big deal really

Wow yeah that's actually where I heard about them. Most of my audio set up is inspired off the guy's reviews.

Currently using Audio Technica ath m50 studio headphones,  Gemini SR-5 studio speakers and a Fiio E10 DAC.

Kannade

Kannade

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,204 posts
  • Locationkonoha

Wow yeah that's actually where I heard about them. Most of my audio set up is inspired off the guy's reviews.

Currently using Audio Technica ath m50 studio headphones,  Gemini SR-5 studio speakers and a Fiio E10 DAC.

Every time he reviews something I'm like "Damn, I def need this in my life." Like I thought about getting the Jaybird BlueBuds X after he recommended them, but then I realized I pretty much have no use for wireless earbuds because I don't even go running.

like no joke this dude just makes me wanna go to bestbuy and be like

daily_life_14.gif

rc1138

rc1138

Potato Spud

• Donator
  • 46 posts

Now I'm feeling scared to look at his videos. I already have too much stuff that I don't even use...

qg8m3S.gif

rc1138

rc1138

Potato Spud

• Donator
  • 46 posts

I played it safe. Few days ago ordered cheap as hell sony mdr-ex10lp(same price as a copy of beats that a lot of my peers buy) and today ordered sennheiser cx300-II from US for a relatively good price. The funniest thing would be if I won't be able to feel the difference between both of them and stock samsung phone headset :)....now I'm getting anxious

qg8m3S.gif

rectum

rectum

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 44 posts

Every time he reviews something I'm like "Damn, I def need this in my life." Like I thought about getting the Jaybird BlueBuds X after he recommended them, but then I realized I pretty much have no use for wireless earbuds because I don't even go running.

like no joke this dude just makes me wanna go to bestbuy and be like

iktf

Now I'm feeling scared to look at his videos. I already have too much stuff that I don't even use...

Yeahh I'm pretty sure he works for Amazon, I've funneled way too much money there because of the guy. This video made me go nuts and spend way too much money on proper sound equipment. No regrets though :^)

I played it safe. Few days ago ordered cheap as hell sony mdr-ex10lp(same price as a copy of beats that a lot of my peers buy) and today ordered sennheiser cx300-II from US for a relatively good price. The funniest thing would be if I won't be able to feel the difference between both of them and stock samsung phone headset :)....now I'm getting anxious

Hey as long as your happy, I think you made the right call with the cx300-II's. As long as they block out external noise well, are durable and do a good enough job of reducing distortion you're set.

watsu

watsu

Potato

• Members
  • 127 posts

bit late to the topic, but I was going to suggest VSonic IEMs, found them to work well on all kinds of music at a decent price while giving you so...sooo many eartips.

To make you feel better about your purchase, reviews vary wildly with headphones and IEMs because people are very subjective about what they want to hear in their music. In addition, people can get used to the sound of different headphones pretty quickly, so something that sounded very harsh in your ears at first might mellow out over time (this is generally attributed to the "burn-in" effect, but it's still widely debated whether that's the sole factor) or some headphones that sounded good to you before sound like utter crap later. There's also differences in environment; even if you get the best headphones in the world, it'll still sound significantly better in a quiet room with no distractions vs maybe a crowded bus with loud engines and traffic. Even reviews where the reviewer seems to have taken a lot of time and effort to "objectively" evaluate a set isn't completely concrete, as their standards in sound aren't the same as yours (perhaps you both like rock, but this guy likes hearing the vocals more than the instrumental detail).

the best you can do, as with most products you're buying blind (without actually trying them out first), is to check the average reception for the product on a trusted site or stick with a reviewer who's usually been on the mark with your tastes and standards. seems like you've done that :P so you should be fine.

h99.png

rc1138

rc1138

Potato Spud

• Donator
  • 46 posts

iktf

Yeahh I'm pretty sure he works for Amazon, I've funneled way too much money there because of the guy. This video made me go nuts and spend way too much money on proper sound equipment. No regrets though :^)

Hey as long as your happy, I think you made the right call with the cx300-II's. As long as they block out external noise well, are durable and do a good enough job of reducing distortion you're set.

Thanks.

bit late to the topic, but I was going to suggest VSonic IEMs, found them to work well on all kinds of music at a decent price while giving you so...sooo many eartips.

To make you feel better about your purchase, reviews vary wildly with headphones and IEMs because people are very subjective about what they want to hear in their music. In addition, people can get used to the sound of different headphones pretty quickly, so something that sounded very harsh in your ears at first might mellow out over time (this is generally attributed to the "burn-in" effect, but it's still widely debated whether that's the sole factor) or some headphones that sounded good to you before sound like utter crap later. There's also differences in environment; even if you get the best headphones in the world, it'll still sound significantly better in a quiet room with no distractions vs maybe a crowded bus with loud engines and traffic. Even reviews where the reviewer seems to have taken a lot of time and effort to "objectively" evaluate a set isn't completely concrete, as their standards in sound aren't the same as yours (perhaps you both like rock, but this guy likes hearing the vocals more than the instrumental detail).

the best you can do, as with most products you're buying blind (without actually trying them out first), is to check the average reception for the product on a trusted site or stick with a reviewer who's usually been on the mark with your tastes and standards. seems like you've done that :P so you should be fine.

Is not like these headphones are the last in my life. I want to know as much as possible about this type of headphones so the more opinions the better. Thanks

qg8m3S.gif

oboeotaku

oboeotaku

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationLook behind you.

I have gr07's that have lasted for about 2 years now, so I can testify to VSonic quality (mine were a bit pricey but w/e). No signs of wear on the cord at all yet (I hope I can say the same for the diaphragms).

You bring up a fairly good point though, especially with the environment. In terms of flatness, the gr07's and my AT m50s are both much better than the Klipsch s4's I used to own, but the Klipschs were ideal for outdoor use. They sealed off noise exceptionally well (it annoyed the heck out of my friends), and were very loud/power-efficient, to the point where I had to put severe volume limitations on my ipod to listen without killing my eardrums. They were very crisp as well, with a good deal of bass, making it good for less-than-ideal listening conditions (i.e. anywhere that isn't at home with dead silence and an amp). The only gripe I have about them is that they don't last long. They only lasted about a year before the left earbud lost all its bass...and I took good care of them (always used a case, cleaned out earwax regularly, safe listening volumes).

The funniest thing would be if I won't be able to feel the difference between both of them and stock samsung phone headset :)....now I'm getting anxious

Nah. You'll be able to tell the difference as long as you aren't half deaf. Headsets included with phones/ipods/whatever are generally pretty bad. You just don't realize that you've been missing out until you get better headphones.

Fuck yea.

Edited by oboeotaku, 31 May 2014 - 06:52 PM.

aokobeamu.gif

rc1138

rc1138

Potato Spud

• Donator
  • 46 posts

You'll be able to tell the difference as long as you aren't half deaf. Headsets included with phones/ipods/whatever are generally pretty bad. You just don't realize that you've been missing out until you get better headphones.

Unexpectedly Samsung headset (for galaxy note 2) are not so bad. At least in terms of sturdiness they are second to none. I bought my phone one and a half years ago and had been extensively using headset for more than a year. for example the earphones included with ipod usually lasted only few months (rubber joints are the weakest parts). Of course in terms of sound Samsung is too flat but not so bad you would expect from standard wired headset

Edited by rc1138, 31 May 2014 - 07:11 PM.

qg8m3S.gif

oboeotaku

oboeotaku

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationLook behind you.

Unexpectedly Samsung headset (for galaxy note 2) are not so bad. At least in terms of sturdiness they are second to none. I bought my phone one and a half years ago and had been extensively using headset for more than a year. for example the earphones included with ipod usually lasted only few months (rubber joints are the weakest parts). Of course in terms of sound Samsung is too flat but not so bad you would expect from standard wired headset

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Stereo-Headset-Remote-Microphone/dp/B00AHZRKCO

If those are the ones, I'd still be confident you'd be better off with what you've bought. For the Sennheisers at least. I have a galaxy s3 that I got while my klipsches were still intact, and those came with these I'm pretty sure. I tried them out, then gave them to my little brother (he was thrilled lol). Much better than Apple's garbage earphones to be sure, but...that's not exactly setting much of a high bar, more of about the waist height bar used in the high jump in Nichijou (with the Apple earbuds going Mio and either going under the bar, ramming into it, or shooting parallel to it).

AIso, isn't a flat sound supposed to be good? Or...

aokobeamu.gif