Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

English Translation Flood: Trash or Treasure?

Gokukoku no Brynhildr translation

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

antarctico

antarctico

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 51 posts

Since one of the invisible Batoto mods has taken it upon themselves to save us from ourselves by erasing the increasingly noisy comments about the new English translation flood, I thought I would create a new forum topic so the discussion could continue (hopefully) unmolested.

Personally, my feeling here is perfect is the enemy of the good, meaning in this case it is preferable to me to be able to read the manga chapters in a less than ideal state versus not being able to read them at all, or having to wait weeks or months between chapters. There have been more than a few rough translations in this flood, but the weakest translator of the bunch Twerk_Inspector (A.K.A. King O) is continuing to improve and he/she has clearly shown a lot of interest and energy by continuing to crank the chapters out. Also, as I have said before, xixix has been doing some consistently good work right from the start while putting out a good number of chapters, and yolo translations and ez scanlations have done a couple of nice chapters too. Thanks to all of you.

All these less than perfect efforts have allowed me to follow and enjoy the story -- I'm having a good time with these new translation, even if I sometimes have to mentally re-interpret a phrase or sentence so that it makes more sense, or go back and re-read a chapter released later by a stronger translator. As long as I am enjoying reading the manga, that is what I'm here for, and so this flood is getting the job done for me.

Your opinion may be different, and that's OK, if anyone feels like adding theirs, fire away! :)

figureLP09

figureLP09

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationInside a sword.

Ditto on your opinion, mate. It's not always a matter of quantity/speed over quality or viceversa. Me myself, with just being able to read the manga in an understandable language it's more than enough. And no, I'm not trying to diss or label as inconsequential the work of people who put a lot of effort into cleaning, redrawing and such.

The soil of a man's heart is stonier. He grows what he can, and he tends it. 

Martypants

Martypants

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • LocationIn someone's spud basket, like a store-bought potato

I consider us fortunate to be even reading for free (regardless of translation source, neither japanese raws or spanish raws make any difference when converting to english despite a few misplacements of words here and there) at the expense of someone elses pocket money. As someone who used to be a raw supplier myself, magazines like GanGan Joker, ShoCom, are not cheap on my wallet, however, it is worth it for me to see people using it to bring out english chapters of manga i want to read instead of me having to take time off my very busy working life to go learn more advanced japanese in order for me to read a block of text. I greatly respect the groups with all the time they commit to bringing out english releases for us, they are using their time from their lives that could have been spent doing other more productive things but no, they give it to us so we can enjoy an english chapter of our favourite series. For those of you who complain..............I find you very unjust, you have either put minimal to no effort, but expect big results. Lastly I stress over again, people are reading these at the expense of someone elses wallet and time, be greatful.........

maffa

maffa

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • Locationitaly

beggars cant be choosers. 

I am just grateful for anything coming. 

Guest_Twerk_Inspector_von_Kartoffel

• Guests
I'd like to thank you all for letting me try my hand at translating
And allowing me to continue to improve.
Thanks for all the Positive comments,
It really makes me try harder each time I read them
I am humbly grateful and I will continue to try my best in improving. If you will allow me.

serim

serim

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

I'd like to thank you all for letting me try my hand at translating
And allowing me to continue to improve.
Thanks for all the Positive comments,
It really makes me try harder each time I read them
I am humbly grateful and I will continue to try my best in improving. If you will allow me.

I really don't see a point in you doing Spanish to English translation when there are public English translations avaliable up to 102. Past a certain point, even the Spanish scans are using the English translations as a "reference". Eventually you are going to do JP -> EN -> SPN -> EN.

There are major errors in your releases. Chaper 72 you mistranslated Initializer's name into device and messed up several key plot points.

Chapter 73 Initializer was grazed by a bullet while your translation suggest that Valkyria hit him with a magical attack, and the following lines are off. Hatsuna's explaination of why she didn't reveal that she can heal others was off too. The cat wasn't just injured, but actually ran over by a car. Details again missing.

At this point really you should ask for permission and use the proper translations like the /a/ scans instead of some halfhearted SPN -> EN effort where details are destroyed.

• Guests

I really don't see a point in you doing Spanish to English translation when there are public English translations avaliable up to 102.

If you know all this why are you sitting on your ass and critique my Work like some keyboard warrior Instead of hoping on cleaning up the scans and doing all the dirty work?
I mean look at me I just started translating two days ago, What have you done? Instead of talking go make an action and get those chapters out
*inb4 you say if I did I would do a better job*
Just do it!, Now is you mad or NAH!!!!!!

Attached Files

Edited by Twerk_Inspector, 24 May 2014 - 09:47 AM.

serim

serim

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

If you know all this why are you sitting on your ass critique my wprk jnstead of hoping on cleaning up the scans and doing all the dirty work?
I mean look at me I just started translating two days ago, What have you done? Instead of talking go make an action and get those chapters out

Wow, talk about a complete change in attitude. So you are only willing to listen to praises and can't handle criticism?

Your translations are bad and wrong. This is a fact. You can't even call it decent when you get a character's name completely wrong.

The /a/ scans of 61 to 67 predates your effort and they are still continuing. How sure are you that I'm not helping out there? You came in and snipe their work because the main typesetting anon was away for ONE day.

Let me throw the question back at you. Why are you wasting time on bad translation instead of using proper translation and "cleaning up the scans and doing all the dirty work?"

Edited by serim, 24 May 2014 - 09:52 AM.

Era1499

Era1499

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

I really don't see a point in you doing Spanish to English translation when there are public English translations avaliable up to 102. Past a certain point, even the Spanish scans are using the English translations as a "reference". Eventually you are going to do JP -> EN -> SPN -> EN.

There are major errors in your releases. Chaper 72 you mistranslated Initializer's name into device and messed up several key plot points.

Chapter 73 Initializer was grazed by a bullet while your translation suggest that Valkyria hit him with a magical attack, and the following lines are off. Hatsuna's explaination of why she didn't reveal that she can heal others was off too. The cat wasn't just injured, but actually ran over by a car. Details again missing.

At this point really you should ask for permission and use the proper translations like the /a/ scans instead of some halfhearted SPN -> EN effort where details are destroyed.

Man why are you complaining so much.If you really want so much high quality scanlation rather than complaining you should do it yourself, shouldn't you ???( Since it seems you know about very high quality translation and also how things works) .We reed these mangas for free for god's sake I am really happy just  to read it translated in English...If I can understand the context well enough and if important details are not mistranslated than its more than enough for me.Well enough rambling I just got angry by reading your post don't take it personally and I request that before complaining please try to consider the other side too... :batoto_014:

CB39

CB39

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts

There is no reason for Twerk to be doing his Sp to Eng translations when he's just hours faster than the people producing much higher quality translations. If it were a choice between TB's release speed or Twerk, maybe that wouldn't be so objectionable, but the current folks are doing a great job at a good pace.

You're wasting your time on this project, Twerk.

SangGris

SangGris

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

Wow, talk about a complete change in attitude. So you are only willing to listen to praises and can't handle criticism?

Your translations are bad and wrong. This is a fact. You can't even call it decent when you get a character's name completely wrong.

The /a/ scans of 61 to 67 predates your effort and they are still continuing. How sure are you that I'm not helping out there? You came in and snipe their work because the main typesetting anon was away for ONE day.

Let me throw the question back at you. Why are you wasting time on bad translation instead of using proper translation and "cleaning up the scans and doing all the dirty work?"

I've been an anon reader all this time, and I actually made an account because I couldn't handle you badmouthing Twerk, when all he's been doing is putting hours into translating chapters, for us, for free.

Serim, you are probably not a beggar yourself, but the rest of us are. I know little japanese, and can't read a lick of spanish. Until the other group catches up, I feel that Twerk is doing a fantastic job. If you're truly trying to help the community, follow "actions speak louder than words". Instead of belittling Twerk, please take the time yourself to clean and translate the chapters. Because that is what Twerk is doing for us.

zerrymark

zerrymark

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

there difference badmouth and criticism. serim only critic Twerk like he said in above "why he doing Spanish to english when there are public English translations avaliable up to 102 and what answer serim get ....you can judge yourself from post above .

SangGris

SangGris

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

there difference badmouth and criticism. serim only critic Twerk like he said in above "why he doing Spanish to english when there are public English translations avaliable up to 102 and what answer serim get ....you can judge yourself from post above .

When's all done and said, I'm sure everyone could have handled this better. Today, it was because of this thread that I've found those public english translations for the first time. Maybe it was Twerk's first time too? (maybe now he will can use those translations)
It was only because of the recent push of english chapters that I started coming here almost everyday since, and I've been meaning to make an account and say "thank you". I've been putting it off until today, where I'm reading a thread that is telling a novice that his translations are bad, wrong, and that he's been wasting his time. He isn't a professional, he's translating an already translated spanish into english. Anyone's who's played this game will know some things will get lost in the double translation.
Or let's say after all this nonconstructive criticism, that Twerk quits. You guys did it. You accomplished your goal. You've satisfied yourselves

Edited by ama_type, 24 May 2014 - 02:15 PM.

ALAKTORN

ALAKTORN

Fingerling Potato

• Chocolat Vanilla
  • 71 posts
Serim, I’m interested in what you know. Why the fuck weren’t the Eng trans up to ch.102 made public earlier? I had no idea about them before today, and I’ve tried to decently check the Gokukoku situation. I don’t visit /a/, is that where they come from?

Is the /a/ group you’re talking about those “No Group” people? I see that in recent chapters they’ve been doing a pretty decent job, but I think earlier on even they had many mistranslations.

Skyswimsky

Skyswimsky

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts
As someone who used to read Visual Novels with AGTH/ITH and Atlas I can't comprehend people who want slow "high-quality" translations over faster stuff; other than some sort of elitist behaviour. I'd rather prefer consitent fast updates than having to wait 2 a life times worth. It makes no difference if something is translated a bit wrong as long as the meaning is still the same.
We Got Aroused By Ice Tea And It Was Amazing.

CB39

CB39

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts

As someone who used to read Visual Novels with AGTH/ITH and Atlas I can't comprehend people who want slow "high-quality" translations over faster stuff; other than some sort of elitist behaviour. I'd rather prefer consitent fast updates than having to wait 2 a life times worth. It makes no difference if something is translated a bit wrong as long as the meaning is still the same.

If you'd read the actual translations or read the thread before replying, you'd see that Twerk's translations had major errors, and are only a few hours faster than the good translations. It's just not efficient to go from JP > SP >EN. It's like reheating a meal in the microwave, it's not going to be as good as a fresh translation. The guys who do it properly are both consistent and fast and started the chapter flood to begin with.

XII

XII

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

bad/lower quality translation could lead to misunderstanding and/or misinterpretation

in AGTH ATLAS combo, if user find gibberish/strange translation, they could just open ATLAS word library then find the less nonsensical one, high priority it and continue reading, but in scanlation you're already reading translated piece of work that you cannot even know if there's something mistranslated or not, so you cannot compare AGTH ATLAS work with scanlation work

i won't mind something like JP->SPN->RU->ITA->KR->CN->EN if the manga is like nekogurui minako-san, but Brynhildr are quite text based/text heavy as in you cannot understand a thing/only understand very little if you only see the images/panels, for example try only saw RAW panels of murakami plan of robbing the medicine factory or the foreshadowing panels, so an accurate translation and direct JP->EN is needed/recommended, that way it'll reduce mistranslation/misinterpretation because of translating a translation

Edited by XII, 24 May 2014 - 08:05 PM.

serim

serim

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

Well, the crisis is over. Looks like Twerk_Inspector has been removed and the actual translation has went to 75.

Win/win situation?

Serim, I’m interested in what you know. Why the fuck weren’t the Eng trans up to ch.102 made public earlier? I had no idea about them before today, and I’ve tried to decently check the Gokukoku situation. I don’t visit /a/, is that where they come from?

Is the /a/ group you’re talking about those “No Group” people? I see that in recent chapters they’ve been doing a pretty decent job, but I think earlier on even they had many mistranslations.

Links to that site has been posted in the comments section several times, but was removed for god knows what reasons.

Only 62+ are "official" ones form /a/. The rest are known to be bad. 60 and 61 specifically needs to be redone by someone.

I am A Anon

I am A Anon

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

My Question to everyone is.

When were the public English translations available? [This is news to me]

And if the public English were available why has no one tried to put them to use?

You could have easily provided a link to the website to the new translators could you not?

Or you could have taken the translations in your own hands and uploaded the chapters right?

I'm a little lost here as to why people are complaining instead of doing it themselves, Sounds a little lazy to me.

The age old saying of "If you want something done right do it yourself"

But no one seemed to make an effort

ALAKTORN

ALAKTORN

Fingerling Potato

• Chocolat Vanilla
  • 71 posts

Well, the crisis is over. Looks like Twerk_Inspector has been removed and the actual translation has went to 75.

Win/win situation?

Links to that site has been posted in the comments section several times, but was removed for god knows what reasons.

Only 62+ are "official" ones form /a/. The rest are known to be bad. 60 and 61 specifically needs to be redone by someone.

Well, /a/ still has mistranslations in it.

3rd panel: http://vatoto.com/read/_/246157/gokukoku-no-brynhildr_ch74_by_no-group/4

The bubbles are inverted, and the tranlation is completely off. The first one is Murakami– it says “What did you mean by that?” and she replies with “Aah…” (and then: so you were the guy who contacted me etc.).

Where can I contact the people scanlating this? I can proofread shit but I can’t do anything if nobody wants my help.

Edited by ALAKTORN, 24 May 2014 - 08:20 PM.