Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Not sure about a comic? - ask if appropriate here...

• Please log in to reply
398 replies to this topic

Buttock Follicle

Buttock Follicle

Couch Potato

• Contributor
  • 2,433 posts
  • Locationfuttocking away~
How extreme exactly does the violence/horror have for it to be not allowed? No one's explained it exactly yet ^^ I'm kinda curious about it tbh :/

p3pe

p3pe

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 389 posts
  • LocationChurabhaya

I looked through a couple of random chapters and didn't see much that I was particularly concerned about. The violence displayed only seems to be there to advance the story.

The series is rather long I might have overlooked some things but consider it allowed, p3pe.

Thanks! Maybe I'll upload some chapters first, so others can review it too.

How extreme exactly does the violence/horror have for it to be not allowed? No one's explained it exactly yet ^^ I'm kinda curious about it tbh :/

TBH I'm quite confused too. We have clear lines about sex scene, but for violence it quite tricky... Some series has 'extreme' violence, but they're needed for the story to advance. Like Shigurui or Vagabond, you can't expect series about samurai without some tore limbs or blood.

My avatar is taken from this pixiv user: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=35996065 ♥

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationHere of course!

Think of the most horribly violent and horror movie ever to come out of hollywood (the rated version, not the unrated). That is the limit. :D (aka, pretty damn far)

p3pe

p3pe

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 389 posts
  • LocationChurabhaya

Think of the most horribly violent and horror movie ever to come out of hollywood (the rated version, not the unrated). That is the limit. :D (aka, pretty damn far)

Well, I rarely watch horror movies @_@ I watched hostel years ago, is it the limit?
I've uploaded few chapters of Shigurui, but is it really okay to upload the rest? mhh allowed it, but maybe other staffs have different opinion.

My avatar is taken from this pixiv user: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=35996065 ♥

asparagi

asparagi

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
Is it okay if I upload Maison Ikkoku http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=1051 ?
Since this would be my first upload, I am finding a bit of difficulties in complying with Batoto policy.
First of all, the tags should be okay (and so I uploaded the 1st volume as a sample: http://vatoto.com/comic/_/comics/maison-ikkoku-r3327) but then I found out that you accept only scanlations, not scans and my copy of Maison Ikkoku should be scans made by MangaProjects of a Viz comic edition.
Since the very first edition is way back (1980-1987, Wikipedia says) I believe my uploading isn't hurting anyone, neither Rumiko Takahashi (author also of Inuyasha, Ranma 1/2 ... and one of my favourite mangaka) neither the scanlators MangaProjects (which should by now be a dead group) and surely NOT the comic industry.

Loki

Loki

Fried Potato

• Contrib Mods
  • 932 posts
  • Locationgo figure
its not about hurting anybody , its about what batoto represents and holds in high esteem , that would be scanlations
Spoiler

asparagi

asparagi

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
What I mean by "hurting" is that in some cases scans (or scanlations) are not beneficial to the mangaka and thus should not be spread on the Internet.
Surely, scan and scanlations are a whole different matter, first of all in the amount of hard work that has to be put behind a scan...

In the end, do you feel it is fine to upload the comic ( a great series if you like the genre, in my opinion) ?

Loki

Loki

Fried Potato

• Contrib Mods
  • 932 posts
  • Locationgo figure
it always depends who you ask
if you ask publishers there isnt a single scanlation that is beneficial to them or authors
if you ask readers you will see that scanlations actually promote buying officially released books , when they are present on your market

so its a moot point here (kinda)

even if we like it or not , batoto will not host scans(knowingly) , thats the policy and i doubt it will ever change and if you know that i think we should end this discussion here
Spoiler

mhh

mhh

Babo Kim

• Administrators
  • 3,754 posts

What I mean by "hurting" is that in some cases scans (or scanlations) are not beneficial to the mangaka and thus should not be spread on the Internet.
Surely, scan and scanlations are a whole different matter, first of all in the amount of hard work that has to be put behind a scan...

In the end, do you feel it is fine to upload the comic ( a great series if you like the genre, in my opinion) ?

As long as what you are uploading is proper scanlation work and it doesn't conflict in other areas. (eg. being pronografic, loli, etc. ) you are fine to upload it.

But for now we do not host any "pure scans" no matter how old they are.

soranokira

soranokira

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 687 posts
I'll just point out that this series http://vatoto.com/comic/_/comics/saikin-imouto-no-yousu-ga-chotto-okashii-n-da-ga-r3385
is classified borderline H at mangaupdates
http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=58891
although I'm perfectly fine with it.
(Apologies to Loki who fixed the title when I reported it, only saw the borderline H tag at mangaupdates when I was trying to edit in the genres)
Posted Image
Favorite Manga: Record of Fallen Vampire, Hayate the Combat Butler, Kekkaishi
Main reason: Akabara Strauss and plot/story flow, Tennousu Athena arc/Katsura Hinagiku, Kidoin Nura and story flow

Loki

Loki

Fried Potato

• Contrib Mods
  • 932 posts
  • Locationgo figure
well nevermind me , i'm pretty sure it will eat the axe once grumpy or trebor bestow us their presence
Spoiler

penguin71

penguin71

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 268 posts
  • LocationThat state that no one cares about
I saw that there was a request for Chu-Bra!! on the request comics thread. Now I am willing to upload it but I'm worried because the content, while definitely NOT hentai or borderline-hentai, contains a lot of fanservice of middle school girls. This is close to lolicon in my book so I'd just like to confirmation before I upload it.

Edit: Well I already uploaded it but since I'm not a contributor it cant be pulled down if it's inappropriate

Edited by penguin71, 15 January 2012 - 01:51 AM.

~やら~やら

The Best Bagels

Former Typesetter/Blogger for FKMTkrazy

Spoiler

hero

hero

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,381 posts

Edit: Well I already uploaded it but since I'm not a contributor it cant be pulled down if it's inappropriate

If I am not mistaken, then even if you were a contributer, you couldn´t delete it without it being approved by a mod.

penguin71

penguin71

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 268 posts
  • LocationThat state that no one cares about

If I am not mistaken, then even if you were a contributer, you couldn´t delete it without it being approved by a mod.

Oh you're right. I just went to check. Well I suppose it's out of my control now.

~やら~やら

The Best Bagels

Former Typesetter/Blogger for FKMTkrazy

Spoiler

soranokira

soranokira

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 687 posts
As a contributor (even if you're not one) you can only unapprove (soft delete) your own uploaded chapters (so others don't see them) while wait for a mod to delete it for you. Renaming unapproved chapters meant for removal would help mods out so they don't have to check why that chapter is unapproved.
If you're unsure about content, either ask here or upload it and leave it up to the discretion of the mods whether such a manga should be allowed or not (the upload first method only works for non-contributors, but it is probably not recommended either. Though any manga that is in the request list should be fine for uploading. Mangas that should be axed will be axed by the mods.)
Posted Image
Main reason: Akabara Strauss and plot/story flow, Tennousu Athena arc/Katsura Hinagiku, Kidoin Nura and story flow

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationHere of course!

I'll just point out that this series http://www.batoto.ne...i-n-da-ga-r3385
is classified borderline H at mangaupdates
http://www.mangaupda...s.html?id=58891
although I'm perfectly fine with it.
(Apologies to Loki who fixed the title when I reported it, only saw the borderline H tag at mangaupdates when I was trying to edit in the genres)

Woe is my job having to look through these stuff to draw a line. I realized the movie raters probably hate their jobs too.
I'm gonna leave this for now... B/c we're at the very least not dealing with very young children. But, complaint & it's gone... I'll also be warning to the scanlation grp (since they're directly uploading) to draw the line themselves should the need arise.

I saw that there was a request for Chu-Bra!! on the request comics thread. Now I am willing to upload it but I'm worried because the content, while definitely NOT hentai or borderline-hentai, contains a lot of fanservice of middle school girls. This is close to lolicon in my book so I'd just like to confirmation before I upload it.

why does anyone even make this stuff?? ditto with above. (tbh, I didn't look through the whole thing. too long) But, note for penguin instead. If it's questionable, don't upload it. We do not WANT any loli material. That's why such genre doesn't even exist here.

soranokira

soranokira

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 687 posts
Well, maybe consulting the staff on their opinion (and trusting it to a certain extent) may help reduce the workload.
and, they make this stuff because some people like it I suppose.
Posted Image

Loki

Loki

Fried Potato

• Contrib Mods
  • 932 posts
  • Locationgo figure

Well, maybe consulting the staff on their opinion (and trusting it to a certain extent) may help reduce the workload.

considering how we staff are a shitload of folks , with conflicting standards , i doubt it would help reduce the workload at all
Spoiler

Trebor

Trebor

Voice to the Voiceless

• Administrators
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationUSA

considering how we staff are a shitload of folks , with conflicting standards , i doubt it would help reduce the workload at all

Pretty much this. We do make these decisions and don't ask Grumpy every time, though, I had put this off before I consulted with Grumpy, cause ultimately, it's his site and he has all the liability if anything happens.
Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri

mhh

mhh

Babo Kim

• Administrators
  • 3,754 posts
After much pondering the desicion to take down Chu-Bra!! was made.

While one might argue that you don't see anything/nothing happens, the only purpose that the comic seems to hold is showing underage girls in underwear.

This decision falls under the category of general rejection of content that can be considered lolicon or targeted at such an audience.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.