Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Are the numbers right?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Early in the gods battles it talked about huge numbers of dark ones dying, and I was skeptical, these numbers were never shown in any drawing. But hey, maybe it's all background stuff too big to really show or something.

http://vatoto.com/read/_/242352/feng-shen-ji_v3_ch3_by_easy-going-scans/28

"Those who agree with me, come stand at my side" 

What, a straw poll? How could a sizable percentage of the population come to you? If there are hundreds of thousands of dark ones, this should create immense logistical nightmares. Plus the dark ones city does not seem big enough to support such numbers based on a earlier drawing.

http://vatoto.com/read/_/242352/feng-shen-ji_v3_ch3_by_easy-going-scans/29

"Can you see? There is at least forty or fifty thousand people on my side."

Haaah? How do you even count that many people? Much less get them to and fit them in by "your side"?

http://vatoto.com/read/_/242352/feng-shen-ji_v3_ch3_by_easy-going-scans/30

There are distinct stick figures shown in this scene a good number of them. I counted approximately half of those standing with the stage/with reforming the council, around ~75, so ~150 distinct persons in this pic standing on his side. Even if you were to add a bunch for ones off the to the side and off screen, and then multiply it a few times for indistinct persons mixed among the distinct ones, you still don't come up with any number remotely close to "forty thousand people" Plus, just considering the zoomed out factor, the amount of space the crowd is suppose to be holding is nothing like what 40,000 would hold.

For some reason it seems large asian numbers are some of the hardest of the words to translate to english. So perhaps the translation has been giving us some incorrect numbers here? Or is this really a case of the comic biting off more numbers then it can handle, just to seem big?

Edited by truepurple, 04 May 2014 - 09:34 PM.

Taven45

Taven45

Potato

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • Locationbehind you

question for you just to bend your mind. first off New York City hold ~20 million people. So a city can hold a large number of people in a small area.

second off you don't need to count just shout a large number that looks correct. also what do you have for scale on any of the buildings or the city theirs nothing to compare the scales to. we don't have a map of the city, or know how many people are in town square compared to the whole organization that is following him.

Also are you trying to use logic on a manga/comic? really...? physics, chemistry and biology is broken on a regular bases in almost all manga/comics, so don't think about numbers and enjoy the story.

tacchan23

tacchan23

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts

I agree with OP. Ignore second poster rambling.

Ameon

Ameon

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Maybe the generic looking Dark Ones and tribesmembers are representatives of certain districts/portions of the population. So if 40-50 stand by him he feels justified to claim all their constituents do as well. Something like that.

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Here is the pages with the city shown.

http://vatoto.com/read/_/236452/feng-shen-ji_v2_ch64_by_easy-going-scans/25

http://vatoto.com/read/_/236452/feng-shen-ji_v2_ch64_by_easy-going-scans/26

Definitely no Newyork city. Also, you downplay even the total physical land space that NYC takes up, plus air space and even underground.

Edited by truepurple, 08 May 2014 - 07:38 PM.

Zeriken

Zeriken

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

Maybe the generic looking Dark Ones and tribesmembers are representatives of certain districts/portions of the population. So if 40-50 stand by him he feels justified to claim all their constituents do as well. Something like that.

I believe this is likely to be the case. I could imagine that many of the people are representatives of a group of people, who look out for the interests of their own part of the tribe. I wouldn't be surprised, as they are going with a democracy type of rulership, if this was the case. It would be like the United States House of Representatives or Senate.

Greenstalker

Greenstalker

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 13 posts

Chinese had a system for counting big armies since most of their civil wars were fought between at least thousand to hundreds of thousands soldiers for over centuries this is why they made a system to count large numbers of soldiers with a glance and uses large numbers in their light novels/manhuwa since for them they are not actually that big of numbers (definitely wrote it wrong) It is obvious they can't fit all the army in a page or two of comic colored so instead they uses the leaders (thousand man head or so) in the picture.