Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Raku, lying bastard or cheating a-hole?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Dhoozy

Dhoozy

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 42 posts

So I power through this series and I like the girls a lot all of them are great somehow Tsugumi appeared to be the hottest of the bunch at least she is depicted that way.  Anyway, How come no one ever called Raku out on his infidelity and his playboyish ways?  Initially he was a sympathetic protagonist but now he's just stringing girls along for kicks and giggle never mind the fact that he's emotionally cheating on them. For a yazuka boss son he's pretty much a pussy and not a Rito pussy either, Rito at least mans up here and there this guy is a pathetic coward through and through.

1.  He made a promise with a girl years ago, like her, felt that he should keep his promise...what happens? Oh look I like Onodera, so already the promise girl to him is no longer needed.

2. Chitoge became his fake girlfriend, okay, he doesn't like her and still fawn over Onodera, yet when he found out that SHE knows his relationship with Chitoge was fake he STILL refuse to man up, so all that time he spent crushing on Onodera was actually completely WORTHLESS and didn't mean squat because...

3. He actually likes  Chitoge now, He likes her enough but STILl refuse to man up and do anything about it but then again Raku love is a fickle thing, he still held on to the "promise girl" despite falling for Onodera and then he kicked Onodera to the curb for now Chitoge.

4. Raku treatment of Marika is asshole-ish to the highest extreme. I have a feeling he keep her around as a safety net. This is a girl who spend and dedicated  ten years of her life for him  and the best he could say is "Oh I think you're awesome for doing it." Didn't even give her a real answer that he like Onodera or anything kept stringing her along because HE KNOWS that she won't leave him.

All in all , he's a pretty pathetic character and a major playboy to boot, in fact the girls did not fall in love with the Raku NOW they liked the Raku back then who by all accounts man up on a lot of things. The one that he is now is a sorry as cheater. There harem done right and there harem done wrong, in this case having a cheating protagonist is wrong.

At least that's my take on it. :D Feel free to debate!

adatari

adatari

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationThe Tower - 42F

I think he's just too nice. Also, most harems end up with the main character not picking a girl until the possible end. You're reading too much into a simple manga, sir.

Dhoozy

Dhoozy

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 42 posts

Well most harem actually have the main character acquiring girls  he didn't even know he could aquire. Keitaro for all his fault stay true to that promise and when he found out about Narasuga promises felt that it was her. He took care of his harem problem.

Raku straight up cheated. First the girl from when he was a child he still held onto the locket like it meant something when he was already interested in Onodera. So right there on the spot he just toss out any possible relationship with the girl of his dream.

Then with Onodera, i get the initial premise with Chitoge and he was doing a cover it was amusing but when he found out that Onodera know they are faking. There really should be nothing left to stop him from confessing to her. In my opinion that was a bitch move he did by not having the balls to man up.

However now he's feeling more attraction with Chitoge (look like she's the end girl) then Onodera in the first place. If we were to take the time of how much he like Onodera vs how Chitoge could actually just take top place then that mean his love was fickle as hell in the first place. Shallow I would even say.

Then of course there Marika, again the girl spent 10 years of her life to be his idea and the best he could say is "Oh that's nice." Then dismissed her as an accessory.

I read lot of Harem manga, watched lot of harems animes,like most of them, But Raku in my opinion  is the  most Shallow of all Harem MC. He has zero redeeming quality and have never man up with any of the girls. Most other Harem anime the MC actually settle things fairly quickly or during an arc. It is now over 100 chapters later and he's still stringing girls that he know like him along all the while pinning for the dream girl still.

I guess my main problem with Raku is that he cheats and lies a lot vs other harem MC who actually didn't know they gain such harem flags until it blew up in their faces. I get that it's suppose to be comedy and I like a good comedy as much as the next person but Raku character have gotten more pathetic and shallow with each chapter.

Right now I am still waiting to see who's the end girl as the only characters that I actually like in Nisekoi are the girls and the thugs/gangsta members. At least when they want something they man up and do it.

TetsuDan

TetsuDan

Potato

• Members
  • 139 posts

Except his cover relationship with Chitoge was never for Onodera's sake. Onodera is irrelevant to Ichijou and Chitoge's cover.

Also, it's not cheating unless you're actually already in a relationship with someone. Making a promise with someone when you're, like, five years old but ending up falling for someone else isn't cheating. It's just breaking a promise made when they were too young to understand the promise.

Ichijou has several redeeming qualities. You're simply refusing to see them because you want a high-school adolescent to commit the entire rest of his life to a vague, even faceless, memory of a girl to whom he made a promise he wasn't mature enough to make.

Your standards are unrealistic.

Dhoozy

Dhoozy

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 42 posts

I know his relationship with Chitoge was never for Onodera sake. I am saying that he thought he couldn't tell her he liked her because he was "dating" chitoge, well Onodera was told early on that it was fake and Raku then and there should have man up if he actually like her. He didn't he pussy out.

As for me wanting him to commit to a childhood memory, not at all, I am saying he should stop pining for that girl and think she's so important with the locket when he clearly likes Onodera.

Worse of all now however is that now Chitoge is on Raku radar and he actually like her so that made Onodera crush was nothing more then a fleeting memory. He should cut bait and man up now after he did that and they still purse him a la To Love Ru darkness then that's understandable.

So far he's just stringing all the girls along and of course there was his casual dismissal of Marika effort. He should dismiss her too if he going to dismissed her effort.

My standard are hardly unrealistic, like I say I watch other Harem animes and read other Harem books and out of all of them,  Raku is the most pathetic of them all, worse then Manaka from Ichigo 100% and that guy was a total garbage heck even worse then Haruki from White Album 2 and we all know what a tool that guy was.

Like I say, the girls keeps me invested in this manga and the mystery look like it's going to be solved soon hopefully.  It's not that I dislike this manga it's I dislike Raku who was okay when the situation was out of his control to being a complete coward after everything was out in the open.

Grifford

Grifford

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts

In my opinion Raku isn't really cheating, because he isn't in a "real" relationship yet. And he never actively "hunted" for any of the girls except Onodera. Chitoge got forced on him, Tsugumi fell in love with him of her own accord, he didn't intend to make her fall for him. Marika came around and also of her own accord, fell in love with Raku before he did anything in his "adult life" that would have captured her heart. Onodera's little sis... well she realized that Taku is her "prince" but she's trying to give up. So in my opinion it's not his fault that the girls are coming after him. He is also trying to tell them off but Marika won't listen and keeps coming and Tsugumi always ends up in denial. She doesn't want to actively pursue Raku, but strange situations keep on happening XD. And than the newest addition is Yui... although we don't exactly know where she stands. Is she just a "nee-chan" character or another interest? That we will see in the future.

The reason why he is chasing the "promised girl" is because it's a fond memory of his. We don't even know what the promise is. Whoever said it was "let's marry when we are grown up" (it is the standard in harem manga... but it doesn't have to be)? So him liking Onodera is not wrong in that relation... he just wants to find his important friend.

The reason why he hasn't told Onodera of his feelings yet has two major reasons: 1. He is a pussy and afraid of rejection. 2. a war between the gangs will break out, so even if he tells her how he feels he can't be together with her in their high-school time.

Those are also the reasons why he can't strongly reject any of the girls. Tsugumi would send him through hell and Marika just won't give up or she'd unleash a police vs. yakuza / gang war. And thus he has to put up with Chitoge.

The whole problem with the Chitoge situation is this: how should he realise his feeling for her? They are going on dates and it's become normal for him to those with Chitoge. So maybe he already has feelings for her but just can't realise it cause that "lovey-dovy" situation for couples is normal for him. What would get him out of that would probably be the appearance of a rival. Thus far we haven't had a male rival pinning for any of the girls. This could bring him to man up.

TL;DR He isn't really cheating. He is searching for the "promised girl" cause he wants to know what the promise is. He has his reasons why he can't confess to Onodera or strongly refuse the other girls. And it is possible that he isn't realizing his own feelings.

Dhoozy

Dhoozy

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 42 posts

Yeah I don't count Tsugumi at all in the equation, don't get me wrong I love that crazy girl but she is not even on his radar so that's not his fault. Also he said it himself , he could have confessed to Onodera but like you pointed out he's a pussy. He could just confess to her and tell her that yes he like her and that it's fake and if she's okay until it's all over then it could be great. We have Chitoge being okay with this scenario initially.

Also , will a gang war really break out now that Marika father is back in town? I mean these people shut down  Tsugumi who is arguably a  bad ass and these aren't your typical pussy law enforcement. In fact didn't the father pretty much gave the okay to Drop Chitoge in favor of Marika because he feared the law more then  Chitoge gang?

As for Marika, she also outside his range but only because he never told her straight up that he's not interested in her that way. Yes the girl is forcing herself on him and he let her do it instead of just telling before straight up before getting pursued. For me it seem like he figure she'd still do it regardless if he told her or not and so just let it sly.

With Chitoge it just goes to show how his feeling for Onodera his "Dream girl" was shallow to begin with if Chitoge can win him over within the span of a few months.

Rito is probably a bigger pussy then Raku but at least he still pinning after Haruna and still tunnel vision her and set the record straight with most of the girls that he thought was interested in him.

I hope Yui move the plots forward.

Solidus

Solidus

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts

The promise was probably "Let's eat curry when we meet again."

I would rank Raku more of an Asshole.  Not because he's a jerk or mean, he's pretty nice, but because he's inconsiderate of the feelings of the girls and not taking their intentions seriously.  He definitely should man up.

He needs to choose either Chitoge with Onodera as his mistress, or Onodera + her sister as a freebie.

A real man would choose Marika and no mistress, because Marika wouldn't tolerate that crap.

TetsuDan

TetsuDan

Potato

• Members
  • 139 posts

You still seem to be under the impression that highschoolers need to decide, and strictly adhere to, who they're going to spend the rest of their lives with. That is unrealistic. Citing other works of fiction isn't going to make it any less so. They're still just kids. Most of them, at least.

TheYellingMute

TheYellingMute

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts

When did Raku know that Onodera knows about the fake relationship. As far as I remember hes still in the dark about it, From what Raku knows only his friend and Chitoge (obviously) know about the fake relationship and doesnt know that Onodera and Ruri already know too. Can you tell me the chapter where he find out?

Koslun

Koslun

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSweden

When did Raku know that Onodera knows about the fake relationship. As far as I remember hes still in the dark about it, From what Raku knows only his friend and Chitoge (obviously) know about the fake relationship and doesnt know that Onodera and Ruri already know too. Can you tell me the chapter where he find out?

Pretty sure I even saw this happening recently in the anime. Like before episode 17 or whatever it is now.

As for cheating, he is simply not. Since he's not in a relationship. He's just a clueless "normal" guy like most harem characters. Where he doesn't think that anyone is actually in love with him, apart from Marika. Which is the only part where I think he's a bit of a dick. The thing is that I just think the Marika character is made shallow enough so that she doesn't need an answer so that he doesn't need to go the route of rejecting her. Especially since that would ruin the big secret that he's got the hots for Onodera, or at least *someone*. Though I now can't remember if she's clued into the Chitoge situation and if he hasn't just plain rejected her due to the fake relationship.

Can't really be too mad about it anyway since the entire setting is flawed. With most of them being spawns of organized crime or seemingly corrupt cops is so incredibly stupid. Whereas everyone falling head-over-heels for Raku is simply made believable because we see no other suitable males apart from his best friend. Not ever.

Would however still just say that he's only really a bit of a dick to Marika and just plain clueless with few redeeming qualities other than being "nice". Cannot fathom how anyone can consider him worse than the guy from White Album. Although I just skipped that series after he began just randomly cheating.

Also hardly the only harem guy with nothing special about him. Only thing that makes him more pussy than some others is that the series hasn't been cancelled or ended. As I doubt they have very many plot twists past the point of him confessing to some girl.

Caladbolg

Caladbolg

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationDimensional Rift

I wouldn't judge him either as an asshole or a liar. He cherishes each of the girls and enjoys his everyday life with them. If I were in his shoes, I would try to maintain this status quo as long as possible too. Plus he's a bit too dense(like most harem protagonist).

Regarding Marika; If he were to accept her feelings, his recently stablizing relationship with both Chitoge and Onodera will crumble.(Tsugumi would shoot him in the head too).

FlLL

FlLL

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

err... You guys, I think you all are missing the point here? I read all of your comments, I don't think it is wrong and i know that's what you think or feel.. But why do you guys keep on finding loopholes, traps or flaws that this manga has?

Isn't it better to agree that this is a good manga to read? to me though... I'm just trying to say that this manga is nice to read, even got an anime, and some even happen in real life.. I'm still a high schooler so I know how it feels to be like Raku.. And I think that Komi Naoshi experience the same thing, just maybe though.. Because you can't right a nice story like this without any experience at all :D :lol: :D

(P.S : again..this is just my opinion) :)

Caladbolg

Caladbolg

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationDimensional Rift

err... You guys, I think you all are missing the point here? I read all of your comments, I don't think it is wrong and i know that's what you think or feel.. But why do you guys keep on finding loopholes, traps or flaws that this manga has?

Isn't it better to agree that this is a good manga to read? to me though... I'm just trying to say that this manga is nice to read, even got an anime, and some even happen in real life.. I'm still a high schooler so I know how it feels to be like Raku.. And I think that Komi Naoshi experience the same thing, just maybe though.. Because you can't right a nice story like this without any experience at all :D :lol: :D

(P.S : again..this is just my opinion) :)

Well, you're not wrong but you should have posted that in the comments section. This thread is specifically created to discuss about flaw(s) in this manga

Dhoozy

Dhoozy

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 42 posts

You still seem to be under the impression that highschoolers need to decide, and strictly adhere to, who they're going to spend the rest of their lives with. That is unrealistic. Citing other works of fiction isn't going to make it any less so. They're still just kids. Most of them, at least.

That the thing I never said that he will pick the girl and end up with her forever, I am saying he should just pick the girl he wanted originally  (Onodera) instead of emotionally cheating on her because something new and shiney showed up (Chitoge) and set Marika free like for real and acknowledge her ten years effort at least.  Tsurugumi is a non factor, she has as much chance of winning Raku  that Raku has of actually growing a pair of balls and manning up.

While i get the original premise was just dating boy friend and girlfriend, I never saw anything that said they have to be married. Also the Yakuza and the Gang backed off because Marika forces > Both of theirs combine otherwise they would have tried to take her out already.

The thing is he's a highschooler I know that, I am saying pick the one you want and if it doesnt work out fine. I mean you want to use real life example, then lets do it. Couple hook up and breaks up with multiple partners all the time in highschool. Sometime it works sometime they discover they don't like each other enough or sometime one party cheat on the other.

All I am saying is that Raku who liked Onodera for the longest time suddenly did a 180 after the coast is clear.  If he doesn't like her anymore then he should not lead her on like he's been it's that simple and man up.

As for Fill maybe you experience the same thing as Raku or the author but for me, I dated lots of girls in highschool and broke up with just as many. It was all about finding the right fit, a girl Iike a lot turn out to have a bad attitude or maybe the chemistry is not there.  On the other hand I hate indecisiveness  and cheating which I still call with Onodera and Chitoge as those are the two main one.

The manga  was good int he beginning but the way the author just making Raku is making him more of an asshole in my eyes and the girls are not really at fault on this one.

The main sticking point to me is the Raku feeling for Onodera is shallow in which case he should put her out of his mind or man up since she know it's fake and they are not being observe anymore and see how their relationship pans out. Chitoge approved of it before hand so she have no room to talk. Yet 100 chapters later and he's still claim to have feeligns for Onodera but obviously like Chitoge more in the short time he was with her. Shallow.

Of course that is highschool love in a nut shell. Rarely do highschool sweet heart last but that is what make Raku not a pargon  that he claims to be.

Grifford

Grifford

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts

That the thing I never said that he will pick the girl and end up with her forever, I am saying he should just pick the girl he wanted originally  (Onodera) instead of emotionally cheating on her because something new and shiney showed up (Chitoge) and set Marika free like for real and acknowledge her ten years effort at least.  Tsurugumi is a non factor, she has as much chance of winning Raku  that Raku has of actually growing a pair of balls and manning up.

[Some parts omitted due to length]

The main sticking point to me is the Raku feeling for Onodera is shallow in which case he should put her out of his mind or man up since she know it's fake and they are not being observe anymore and see how their relationship pans out. Chitoge approved of it before hand so she have no room to talk. Yet 100 chapters later and he's still claim to have feeligns for Onodera but obviously like Chitoge more in the short time he was with her. Shallow.

Of course that is highschool love in a nut shell. Rarely do highschool sweet heart last but that is what make Raku not a pargon  that he claims to be.

Raku isn't really keeping Marika. Marika is keeping herself around. She is the most aggressive girl of them all but also the girl that is rejected the clearest. But what you are suggesting it he cut off all ties to Marika. Cause anything else won't keep her away. He sees her as a good friend and she knows it. But she just doesn't give up.

Raku also didn't "emotionally cheat" on Onodera of his own will. He was forced into a situation beyond his control with the family and the war and such. And he still wouldn't be able to see Onodera cause they are still being observed. It just isn't being pointed out that much anymore (you don't see Claude... but doesn't mean he isn't around).

For the second part in the quote: Raku's reasons for liking Onodera (read feelings) were shallow to begin with. He knew through all of middle-school but never talked to her. He liked her from afar. Cause she was cute and nice to everyone. He was loving her more of like fans like an idol. He only started to talk to Onodera in highschool. And, ooooooh wonder, that's the same time Chitoge came into his life. In fact, if I remember correctly they started to talk to one another BECAUSE Chitoge came into his life. So without her he probably still wouldn't talk to her.

What I'm saying is: his feelings for Onodera never had any real basis. Whereas he knows Chitoge pretty well now since they spend so much time together (although both of them act like idiots at those times too). So if he falls for Chitoge it's because they dated for so long. You have to remember: it's already 1 1/2 years into the series if I'm not mistaken. So it wouldn't be a "short time" in which Raku's feelings change.

Another thing is also that Raku is afraid to destroy the relationship he has with Onodera. He doesn't know that she likes him too. But if he confesses and she turns him down? That would destroy their relationship and also affect the ppl around them.

TL;DR Marika is keeping herself around, Raku doesn't hold her. Raku's feelings for Onodera were comparable to a fan liking an idol. It had no basis but he still felt affection. But with Chitoge he spent almost every day for 1 1/2 years, in that time he also started to talk to Onodera but she had way less time with him, so it's natural for Raku's feelings to turn over such a long time.

Haiyami

Haiyami

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 37 posts

Raku isn't really keeping Marika. Marika is keeping herself around. She is the most aggressive girl of them all but also the girl that is rejected the clearest. But what you are suggesting it he cut off all ties to Marika. Cause anything else won't keep her away. He sees her as a good friend and she knows it. But she just doesn't give up.

Raku also didn't "emotionally cheat" on Onodera of his own will. He was forced into a situation beyond his control with the family and the war and such. And he still wouldn't be able to see Onodera cause they are still being observed. It just isn't being pointed out that much anymore (you don't see Claude... but doesn't mean he isn't around).

For the second part in the quote: Raku's reasons for liking Onodera (read feelings) were shallow to begin with. He knew through all of middle-school but never talked to her. He liked her from afar. Cause she was cute and nice to everyone. He was loving her more of like fans like an idol. He only started to talk to Onodera in highschool. And, ooooooh wonder, that's the same time Chitoge came into his life. In fact, if I remember correctly they started to talk to one another BECAUSE Chitoge came into his life. So without her he probably still wouldn't talk to her.

What I'm saying is: his feelings for Onodera never had any real basis. Whereas he knows Chitoge pretty well now since they spend so much time together (although both of them act like idiots at those times too). So if he falls for Chitoge it's because they dated for so long. You have to remember: it's already 1 1/2 years into the series if I'm not mistaken. So it wouldn't be a "short time" in which Raku's feelings change.

Another thing is also that Raku is afraid to destroy the relationship he has with Onodera. He doesn't know that she likes him too. But if he confesses and she turns him down? That would destroy their relationship and also affect the ppl around them.

TL;DR Marika is keeping herself around, Raku doesn't hold her. Raku's feelings for Onodera were comparable to a fan liking an idol. It had no basis but he still felt affection. But with Chitoge he spent almost every day for 1 1/2 years, in that time he also started to talk to Onodera but she had way less time with him, so it's natural for Raku's feelings to turn over such a long time.

This to me makes the most sense. And yes I do agree Raku's feelings for Onodera are a bit shallow, but like Griffon said, its more of adoration than actual liking. The reason why Chitoge is on Raku's radar is because of the time he's spent with her. Raku like's Onodera for her appearance mostly and what little he knows of her personality. If Raku at this point really has any feelings for Chitoge, its more because of a personality point and it feels comfortable. His feelings for Onodera are much more strained because he has this ideal. I don't consider it being a douche, its just that the feelings you have when you are crushing on someone you idolize are much more obvious than feelings developed from just being around someone and having that situation feel natural (note right now Raku isn't aware of his feelings for Chitoge but thinks of her as a really really close friend).

Raku isn't a lying bastard. He's in a difficult position with the turf wars and the police. In my opinion Raku has said it clearly or at least has tried ward off Marika many times but things have gotten in the way. And while Raku may be a bit of a pussy I think some of his fear is warranted. When you have the muzzle of a gun pointed at your head from a rival gang, and the police threatening to put you in Jail or off you the same way...I think any teenager would not give a damn about anything else and chose to preserve the status quot and trying to not get their brains blown out over manning up and confessing to a girl when it could get you killed or locked away in the worst prison possible. That fear is understandable and I think its more excusable than maybe Rito's case from To-Love Ru. But then again Rito's not so much afraid of death as he is of afraid of breaking the current relationship. Rito ain't afraid because he has the power of Lala and co. magical science to help him out which give him more balls in some cases than other MC's. That's what makes Raku and Rito different. In Raku's case, there is no magical science or magical thing to ward off death. If he escapes it, its because he's been VERY VERY lucky. I can't see Raku as an asshole, he isn't dense either. He's a bit sharper than other MC's but Raku has what we call denial. Include that in the fear of getting shot at anytime and you have the mess he's gotten himself into.

The only one thing I can agree with is keeping the locket around. But this is only agreed upon if he was keeping it for the actual promise. That's a bit stupid. That I admit that Raku would be an idiot there. But that's not the case; Raku is most likely holding on to it for sentimental purposes and curiosity. Sorta like "It's become unimportant" but I can't throw it away, it. And then when the key's come around, if it was with your crush then most would think "oh well that's a bonus what if I got the locket from her?"  I think any negative light that's trying to put on Raku's attitude toward the locket given to him when he was like 5 is rather irrational. I admit that one might lose or forget about it as they get older, but if one were to still keep it, it would be as a nostalgia aspect and really have nothing more to it than that. No deeper feelings put into it.

If you want to talk about the worst protagonist ever, try Ichika from Infinite Stratos. That's the worst protagonist I've seen and I can't begin to like him one bit. And he's a bit too dense. When you have girls literally asking you word for word "please sleep with me" and stripping themselves, only for the MC to ignore everything they say and be like "huh I wonder why she did that?" I think that's the worst possible action. That's ignorance, not naivety nor innocence. It's the worst possible dickery ever.

Tekozuru Jurei

Tekozuru Jurei

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

I'm simply amazed anyone can consider it cheating when he hasn't actually done anything with any of the girls, the possible exception being Chitoge and much of that was simply an act to prevent a gang war.

Personally I remember high school, and I remember crushing on several girls at a time, but it not like I did anything with them(or at least not outside of a relationship). Unless you act on it, I find it unreasonable to call it cheating as attraction is something that cannot be controlled.

Outside of the girls with keys I don't think he has shown that much interest in the other girls, but rather was just being a nice guy.

Though for me the the main characters aren't where my interest lies, I want in this order;

Haru

Yui

Tsugumi

Unfortunately I very much doubt I'll any of those 3 win out in the end