Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

General Request to All Uploaders

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

TRMshadow

TRMshadow

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 37 posts
  • LocationThe Internet (Florida)
I'm sorry to sound picky, but it's somthing that has started bothering me; uploading shortcuts. I don't mean a lack of uploads, but laziness in uploading chapter-by-chapter. More and more often, I see uploaders upload by the volume, not by the chapter. I totally understand if it is REALLY time consuming, say... uploading 15+ volumes of a completed manga, but when there are only 2-3 volumes scanlated of a series, not piecing out the 20 or so chapters for upload just seems a bit lazy to me. Also, having series available by the chapter makes navigation of the series a heck of a lot easier. It feels like all I do is complain... but I'm just trying my best to make this site the best it can be. Thanks for listening to this rant...

Edited by TRMshadow, 08 September 2011 - 04:19 AM.

Certified Grammar Nazi

Yu Han Sung

Yu Han Sung

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,989 posts
  • LocationIn Cake Heaven, stuffing myself with cakes(chocolate, fruit, etc.). Mmm... :D
Well, I am basically the only person uploading almost all of the series I'm working on and it would kill me to upload all in single chapters. Some of these series I've uploaded have over 20 to 30 vols, btw. Furthermore, some of the chapters have really borked numbering and I'd rather not waste my time trying to batch re-number the files, when the server is gonna rename them again.

Instead, I leave it to the folder naming. Just to let you know, I've uploaded over 200 volumes of manga so far and I'm not going to fix them all as it's a lot of trouble.

I know that it looks so much cooler to see a ton of chapters but sorry, I'd freak out then 'cos many groups offer their manga only in volume downloads and it takes time to divide up the chapters and rezip everything. Besides, some volumes don't even have chapter numberings but instead, Vol 1 Pg 100, Pg 200 and so on. That's 'cos certain groups only do volume releases and sometimes even remove the contents page.

Finally, something I need to mention: a lot of 4-koma manga have like a lot of strips per volume. And each strip is sometimes a chapter. For such series, imho, it'd be better to release them in batches or in volume form 'cos people will get pissed if they've to click and click for each page.

I'm not saying you can't do individual uploads but that to me, is a personal preference. Mhh , a mod, has even told me that "having a volume upload is better than no comic"(well, not really exact words but there you go).

And one more thing: all issues related to uploads should be handled by mods. They prefer to handle it themselves. That should answer your PM request.

Edited by tofu21, 08 September 2011 - 08:30 AM.

http://www.cakewrecks.com/home/2012/3/29/sheep-who-must-not-be-named.html
For pony!!! :D

Miseng is supposedly the Prince of Zahard and thus, a trap. SIU, you've completely outdone yourself this time. :D :D :D

And I'm very sorry, I just rarely accept friend requests these days. I don't really do Facebook friend requests. Maybe next time. :P
------------------
Even though I like TOG, I have no favourite characters. There are only characters I get attached to, for the moment and some traits I adore, just for a while. In the same way, there is no character I hate or dislike. I may get annoyed, angry and so on, for a while.

KidCongo

KidCongo

Global Moderator

• Contrib Mods
  • 1,768 posts
What Tofu21 said. It can be a real bitch to divide a volume up into individual chapters and although I have done it - 400 chapters of HSDK were a real PITA - time constraints and lack of motivation can get in the way. Now I usually only do that, if the volume chapters were done by different groups.

For all those thinking of thanking me for the scanlations, I only upload them, and I'm just a mod here. Please leave a message on the actual groups' pages that do all the hard work.

mhh

mhh

Babo Kim

• Administrators
  • 3,754 posts
First of all, I can't say that we have strict rules on how things need to be uploaded. So basically chapters and volumes are both equally fine.

That said, I do agree that having individual chapters looks very pretty and is a lot easier to navigate in. So having indivudual chapters would be the ideal option but then again it's incredibly time consuming to upload everything.

I hope that most (hopefully all lol) of you would agree that even though the volumes may not look as pretty as the individual chapters, it is still way better than not having the comic at all.

Many thanks to all of you who are contributing!

mhh

aku720

aku720

Fingerling Potato

• Contributor
  • 66 posts
  • LocationHindustan
uploading in volumes is comfortable
i will upload in chapters if i get remote links for each chapter (if possible)
if i get the stuff in volumes i will upload them in volumes

ongoing series can have chapter release
finished series can be in volumes

and it is not about "a" series having 2 or 3 volumes or 30-40 chapters it is about "100s" of series having tons of chapters which we have to update and upload and it is better to have something rather than nothing

Yu Han Sung

Yu Han Sung

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,989 posts
  • LocationIn Cake Heaven, stuffing myself with cakes(chocolate, fruit, etc.). Mmm... :D
Btw, to anyone who's still new to uploading: it's okay to worry about whether the releases you're adding should be in chapters or volumes form but it's much more important to spend time checking if you comply with the group's hosting policies. And I don't mean just referring to the "delay time" provided in the group's info, like for example this.

http://vatoto.com/group/_/b/bakenekos-lair-r904

But I mean cross-checking against this: http://vatoto.com/group_delays

And if you can't find the group in that "group delay list", you will have to double-check the group's site 'cos the info might be off or they might have changed their policies.

Sure, getting a nice order for chapters is good but pissing off a group = bad reputation for this site. Wrong chaps order, changing from vols to chaps and vice versa, and whatnot can be easily fixed. Settling a big mess where multiple groups are angry, is much harder. And I'm saying that even seasoned uploaders are can make mistakes too and even I have accidentally violated some group's policy.

Edited by tofu21, 08 September 2011 - 03:45 PM.

Miseng is supposedly the Prince of Zahard and thus, a trap. SIU, you've completely outdone yourself this time. :D :D :D

And I'm very sorry, I just rarely accept friend requests these days. I don't really do Facebook friend requests. Maybe next time. :P
------------------
Even though I like TOG, I have no favourite characters. There are only characters I get attached to, for the moment and some traits I adore, just for a while. In the same way, there is no character I hate or dislike. I may get annoyed, angry and so on, for a while.

powha

powha

Vocaloid

• Contrib Mods
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationGensokyo
Yeah I have to agree that chapters look nicer and stuff, but like others said, some LONG series that are completed, are pain in the ass to break into chapters.
Ofcourse we could work on uploading chapters to replace volums later on, if there will be a need for it. :)

TRMshadow

TRMshadow

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 37 posts
  • LocationThe Internet (Florida)
As is stated in my most recent status, just because something is time consuming, or something is hard, or something is complicated isn't a reason not to do it. I'm one of those people who tries their hardest in everything they do, not because I have to do it, not because someone told me to do it, but because I know that it's the right thing to do! I'm not asking people to spend years uploading a series, but instead of uplaoding bulk manga at a breakneck pace, more than any one person can possibly read in their lifetime, take some time to do work, do reasearch, and do quality uploads.

And to everyone who thinks I'm mad at them specifically, this didn't start because of one person. I'm not mad with the ones uploading large series in the vol. format, the only thing that really caused me problems was something I saw a few weeks ago. This one series had 7 chapters to its name, and instead of cutting that TINY series up, something that would've taken fifteen minutes to do, the uploader lobbed the whole series into one file and uploaded it, racing off to upload something else. Sorry if it caused any confusion.

Please understand that I'm somewhat of a... hard to deal with person, but I'm doing this because I'm trying to make this place the best place it can be.
Certified Grammar Nazi

FunnyBunnyLogic

FunnyBunnyLogic

Fried Potato

• The Company
  • 536 posts
  • LocationThe state that Looks Like a Hand.
This seems to be a reasonable request, in my humble opinion. So, if there is a contributor who wishes to update any or all series in this fashion I would expect them to take the following steps:
  • You will upload the series in question chapter by chapter as unapproved content,
  • After an entire volume has been uploaded, you will contact me*,
  • From there, I will review the content to ensure that the entire volume is accounted for and is a quality upload.
  • After the content has proven to be acceptable, I will contact the contributor who initially uploaded the volume and explain why their upload will be removed.
  • After those steps have been taken, I will approve the individual chapters and remove the original volume.

This process will ensure that there is never a loss of content on the reader, therefore keeping the fans happy. Well, I hope it will keep the fans happy... conversely ... I realize that some of you feel a certain love for the series that you upload, and who can blame you! Which makes me worry that you all may become mad at me for removing any of the chapters you have spent your precious time and bandwidth to upload here. However, I hope that each of you will understand that this process will benefit the fans and make Batoto a more awesome place!!

Please don't kill me!!

Posted Image

*side note... There might be other moderators that are willing to take on this task, however I'm not going to assume they are willing to do so. Therefore, unless they say otherwise, please contact me directly! Edit: I'm included here. Also please only contract the admins about this if no one else is available, since they are quite busy already. - mhh

Edited by mhh, 09 September 2011 - 02:07 PM.

aku720

aku720

Fingerling Potato

• Contributor
  • 66 posts
  • LocationHindustan
what will be the meaning of this, it will cause unrest and conflicts among the contributors i mean removing his stuff like that
the contributor who's content will get removed also went through the pain of downloading and uploading the stuff
and the contributors knowing that his content might get removed will not take interest in uploading any further in future
it will be depressing....i mean spending all that time downloading and uploading the stuff for nothing!
if it was going to turn out like this then volume uploads should be allowed any more

http://vatoto.com/comic/_/comics/bio-meat-nectar-r1287

Edited by ak720 (akash), 09 September 2011 - 05:00 PM.

Departure

Departure

Potato

• Contributor
  • 123 posts
  • LocationLaLaLaLaND
Why not kindly ask the contributor them-self if they could kindly re-upload the content they uploaded, chapter by chapter, to replace the volume.

Let say that the series is completed, and there's for example 7 to 15 chapters in that series. It would only be reasonable to 'kindly' ask the uploader to please re-upload the series chapter by chapter, explaining why it
would be convenient for the readers, and Batoto as a whole.

I would be willing to do it.

Pin a post explaining this, and perhaps make a rule (this is my opinion). I believe it to be only reasonable, and it would make Batoto, not only have HQ content, but also organization, and I believe this will show in the individual chapters
themselves.

Sality

Sality

Russet Potato

• Contrib Mods
  • 350 posts
"We do not have have strict rules on how things need to be uploaded. Chapters and volumes are both equally fine.
However, if we have the choice between chapters and volumes our choice will be in favor of chapter since they are easier to navigate with (and other minor reasons).
But: Since it is unreasonable to force everybody to upload only in chapters (especially for long series) there is nothing wrong with uploading volumes.

This means you are free to choose what way you want to upload. "

I hope mhh's statement can make all of this clear.. well, I'm as a contributor too will try my best to upload a series chapter by chapter :)..
If you feel it's not possible to upload it per single chapter, you can upload it per volume..

Edited by Sality, 10 September 2011 - 03:16 AM.

Departure

Departure

Potato

• Contributor
  • 123 posts
  • LocationLaLaLaLaND
Sorry if I sounded pushy, that was just my opinion, but I guess to each its own.

KidCongo

KidCongo

Global Moderator

• Contrib Mods
  • 1,768 posts
Since there's a demand for it and I do understand why people prefer chapters to volumes, I've started to replace them for some titles I uploaded.

Edited to clarify: For now I'm only doing this where there's a mix of chapters and volumes, or when it's a completed series with very few volumes.

Edited by KidCongo, 10 September 2011 - 10:48 AM.

For all those thinking of thanking me for the scanlations, I only upload them, and I'm just a mod here. Please leave a message on the actual groups' pages that do all the hard work.

Yu Han Sung

Yu Han Sung

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,989 posts
Okay well, I'll try my best to comply and upload only/mainly in chapter form. However, from now on, I will cater mainly to fujoshi and fudanshi. :)

------------------