Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

edge of tomorrow?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

generalee

generalee

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 13 posts

lol just saw the trailer the other day.... and realized this and that were the same thing....

anyone thinking of actually going? Id hate to spoil the manga by watching the movie cause i really love the manga so far.

link here just in case you guys dont know what im talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edge_of_Tomorrow_(film)

fecaljesus

fecaljesus

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

I'm highly considering going. From the looks of it, it's just influenced by the light novel and not going to tell the exact same story. Kind of disappointed the suits are so lame in the movie, but hey, can't always be the same. Looks good, I'm excited.

LonelyRurouni

LonelyRurouni

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

I"m going to see the movie, and enjoy it even more since it is influenced by this light novel. It's not everyday you see a premise like this in theaters.

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

I have difficulty believing that it'll be able to pull out much of the same emotion--so far the manga has actually been pretty contemplative from moment to moment, all things considering. From an American film, I except focus--and screen time--to shift more to flashy action scenes.

On the other hand, I have to agree this is much more suited to hollywood than most stories that appear in manga, thanks to it's extreme grittyness and noir-y-ness. Familiar and comfortable territory for this side of the pacific.

generalee

generalee

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 13 posts

I have difficulty believing that it'll be able to pull out much of the same emotion

Thats what im really worried about, i dont want to watch a movie that might not have the same kinda depth that this manga has and have the plot spoiled...

guess I might just wait for an imdb score before i go. lol if its less than a 9~ i probably wont end up going

I'm highly considering going. From the looks of it, it's just influenced by the light novel and not going to tell the exact same story. Kind of disappointed the suits are so lame in the movie, but hey, can't always be the same. Looks good, I'm excited.

lol yeah  the suits look really flimsy/wonky. Wish they had gone with CG instead like the suits in the last matrix movie, sure they were bigger but man were those suits cool.

Edited by generalee, 05 April 2014 - 05:58 AM.

SEntinelSLayer

SEntinelSLayer

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

edge of tomorrow is the movie of All you need is kill light novel but i think the story isn't gonna be as good as the novel or manga, because when i see the trailer rita vrataski isnt as cute and clumsy as in the manga

m2mdoh

m2mdoh

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

Just about to share the same thing. Can't wait for May to come~~ :batoto_028:

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

edge of tomorrow is the movie of All you need is kill light novel but i think the story isn't gonna be as good as the novel or manga, because when i see the trailer rita vrataski isnt as cute and clumsy as in the manga

Cute and clumsy? Are we thinking of the same person? There are only a handful of scenes in the manga where the protagonist is portrayed as cute, and only one, maybe two, where she's in any way clumsy.

Well, I guess can see what you're talking about (such out-of-place moe weirdness does seem to be here and there), but this is not what I'm worried about being missing from an American adaptation. If Rita was a proper dirty, butch, muscular, war-hardened and--well, not all that classically attractive--woman, I wouldn't be bothered, and in fact I'd much prefer that to the stereotypical blond meringue I expect them to use instead. Rita has to be, in my mind, mysterious, out-of-place, and surprising for the character to work properly. Also a badass, but that follows necessarily from circumstance.

As for our male protagonist, I see they've definitely chosen star-power over thoughtful casting. I'm sure American film can capture a grim lone-wolf with increasing levels of competence at killing things, and I could even imagine capturing his initial naivety and shallowness or even, on a very good day, the subtle loneliness of solitude woven into his tale. But the most essential aspect of his character portrayal is none of these things, but instead empathy. In the manga, at least, we follow his thoughts, see everything from the viewpoint of his increasingly claustrophobic inner world. This is where much of the emotion of the story comes from, and this is exactly what I sincerely doubt they're going to pull off. It's much more difficult to pull that off in hollywood movies than in print, because you aren't allowed to just print the character's inner thoughts on the screen. Nevertheless, it's something achieved by good film writing every day. But... with mister vanilla-hunk alpha male Tom Cruise? In this film? I'm... well, I'm a bit... doubtful.

Probably better to expect a completely different piece of intellectual property. A groundhog day plot with lots of angst and explosions and sounds, and if the protagonists are a bit generic and the plot it was taken from hinged largely on suspension of disbelief which this movie won't likely merit... eh, then the sound effects should be nice, and the fireworks dazzling.

Liar

Liar

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 472 posts
I am disappointed they went with Tom Cruise as the main character, and I'm even more disappointed with what they chose as his character's name. It's just a tad ridiculous.

prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationTiensha

I think Keanu is more suited than Tom... Keanu has some dark aura in him...

skules

skules

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 55 posts

They chose tom cruise, sadly movie was ruined at that point. It's gonna be so westernized it isn't going to be the same....

$$$$$$$$$$$.... is all they care about. I'll watch it when it comes out online but i can tell i'll be dissappointed. His last few movies have been pretty sub standard

Edited by skules, 11 April 2014 - 02:16 AM.

Eterdragon

Eterdragon

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationWorld
I read the LN and i think they may change the end for a stupid made in hollywood end.

generalee

generalee

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 13 posts

I am disappointed they went with Tom Cruise as the main character, and I'm even more disappointed with what they chose as his character's name. It's just a tad ridiculous.

lol yeah. Think Tom Cruise was a really bad choice hes like really old and dont think he really fits the image at all...

Liar

Liar

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 472 posts

I think Keanu is more suited than Tom... Keanu has some dark aura in him...

Dude, I would so go for Keanu Reeves instead of Tom Cruise.

Kurono

Kurono

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 14 posts

I think they made an effort, at least with his name when localizing it! Cage = Keiji.

And they even left Rita's name as is.

nasserq11

nasserq11

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts

somehow i feelif i watch the movie it will ruin the manga for me

RavenParadox

RavenParadox

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

meh

this manga is pretty full with all this anime-shit like cutie girls in battle and dolls instead of a people

i kinda hope movie will actually be better that this

great idea tho

Liar

Liar

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 472 posts

The actress that plays Rita makes her look like a badass. My only concern is really Tom Cruise's performance and the way they changed things to accommodate him.

Wrimbows

Wrimbows

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

is edge of tomorrow the source of such idea or is it the other way around? Because the concepts are too close to not be a simply copycat. i hope that the creator of this amazing concept be praised, whoever may him be, and earn big with this story.

LePhenom

LePhenom

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 52 posts

is edge of tomorrow the source of such idea or is it the other way around? Because the concepts are too close to not be a simply copycat. i hope that the creator of this amazing concept be praised, whoever may him be, and earn big with this story.

The source is the japanese light novel. The manga and the movie are both adaptations of the light novel.