Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

[SPOILERS] Current Chapter Discussion

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

A thread for general discussion if anyone else is interested.

Just love Meguru's look.........

bL2h6s4.png

Tn7HA0h.png

Purple Library Guy

Purple Library Guy

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 695 posts
  • LocationCheck Rivendell, or Vorbarr Sultana, or Adrilankha. No? Try Vancouver.

Hilarious.  Really gets that "Guhhh . . . I'm dead I'm dead" feeling across :)

I hope he takes the guy.  Seems like an asshole, and too damned arrogant.  Pleased will I be if Meguru takes him down a notch.

Most of the opponents have been, you know, just dudes.  Fairly nice on average, just competing.  But it's realistic for there to be a few exceptions--there's always some creeps.  And satisfying when those exceptions get their ass handed to them, no?

Edited by Purple Library Guy, 28 March 2014 - 03:25 AM.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Yeah, you're right, thus far that guy's the most outwardly arrogant........the fella Meguru lost to in the qualifying tournament for the nationals (the one he kneed in the head at the end of the match) was definitely confident and a little cocky........but yeah, he really didn't hold a candle to the guy we're seeing now. 

And yeah, it'd be nice to see Meguru knock that smirk off his face, Nabe's certainly of the opinion he's got the tools to do it with his greater reach and straight punches. 

Tn7HA0h.png

Purple Library Guy

Purple Library Guy

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 695 posts
  • LocationCheck Rivendell, or Vorbarr Sultana, or Adrilankha. No? Try Vancouver.

Incidentally, this chapter marks the first time inside the manga that anyone has actually referred to Meguru as an "all-rounder".  That older boxing guy musing . . . could indicate Meguru's reaching some kind of coming-of-age here?  Never would have expected that, coming into this little tournament it seemed like, you know, just another meet.

So, get the feeling that jerk from the older guy's dojo who beats up his kouhai in sparring, is being set up as a future threat?

Edited by Purple Library Guy, 28 March 2014 - 04:28 PM.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Yup, I noticed that too, other than the title I'm not sure the term "all-rounder" has been used at all in the story, whether about Meguru or in any other context.......or at least I don't remember it that is. 

And I don't know about that fella (the being set up as a future threat to Meguru part........ the jerk part, yeah, that's for sure) just because of the weight divisions and all. Meguru's a lightweight and that fella should be a welterweight, so for now he's a division heavier than him. Though yeah, it's only one division and that's (as I remember) the division Meguru's "old buddy" Takashi said he'd be moving up to when he went pro. So yeah, maybe down the road that'll be the case.

Tn7HA0h.png

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Yikes, that guy really is formidable........oh well, Meguru really does seem to do better as an underdog.

Tn7HA0h.png

Everath

Everath

Lord of Longcats

• Contrib Mods
  • 120 posts
  • LocationLongcat Universe

I prefer Meguru as an underdog anyway so \o/

androssi_02_broken.png

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

I prefer Meguru as an underdog anyway so \o/

I'm beginning to think that getting his butt kicked for a while and then staging a comeback is his forte.......kinda like with Maki.  :D

TxXE8kP.png

Tn7HA0h.png

Everath

Everath

Lord of Longcats

• Contrib Mods
  • 120 posts

So who is voting for a comeback?

androssi_02_broken.png

Stonelink

Stonelink

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • LocationChile

me?...i hope that meguru kick his ass...

Just for fun :D

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

me?...i hope that meguru kick his ass...

Haha! Absolutely, other than Takashi I'm not sure I've wished harder for one of his opponents to take a much-deserved whipping.  :D

Tn7HA0h.png

Everath

Everath

Lord of Longcats

• Contrib Mods
  • 120 posts

Smugfaced popcorn machines need to know their place! >:[

androssi_02_broken.png

Purple Library Guy

Purple Library Guy

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 695 posts

I'm thinking he's going to take this.

Out on the front thread people are talking about Meguru's "flukey" wins.  I think some of Meguru's victories aren't as flukey as they look.  Thing is, he's versatile.  And he's fairly good defensively.  So against a tough opponent with some individual skills better than his, he keeps trying different stuff and it keeps not working--but sooner or later, he tends to come up with something they're vulnerable to and it works.  

This guy may learn to be a little less overconfident--he could have put Meguru away on the ground before he had a chance to come up with something, but noooo, he was like "I'll let him go so I can show off these hooks I'm so proud of, gonna KO the guy."  Now he may well get stung.  It's a serious weakness--arrogance, overconfidence, underestimating the opponent.  It's a classic downfall of bullies in fiction but it's gone before some falls in real life too.  Arguably the Americans could have won the Iraq war if they hadn't been so sure they didn't have to worry about any goddamn towel heads that they figured they could ignore the situation on the ground and just scramble for the money and contracts and general looting.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

I'm thinking he's going to take this.

Out on the front thread people are talking about Meguru's "flukey" wins.  I think some of Meguru's victories aren't as flukey as they look.  Thing is, he's versatile.  And he's fairly good defensively.  So against a tough opponent with some individual skills better than his, he keeps trying different stuff and it keeps not working--but sooner or later, he tends to come up with something they're vulnerable to and it works.  

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you. In my experience, where a lot of people (those less skilled at perceiving all the intricacies of what they're seeing) see "flukes" and "luck" others who are a little more "in the know" see someone who's making those "flukes" and "lucky shots" happen. 

And yeah, I think that's partly what Meguru's all about. I think it's somewhat the "curse" of the "all rounder" type........they might not always look like a superstar........but they're usually tenacious as hell and, if they can hang in long enough,  sooner or later they'll get you.  :)

Tn7HA0h.png

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Yup, Meguru doing his patented "come from behind" act  :D

loved these two.....

DRo3pJ6.png

IK4JYcF.png

It's that shocked, "oh crap" look of sudden realization that does it  XD

Tn7HA0h.png

Everath

Everath

Lord of Longcats

• Contrib Mods
  • 120 posts

Guess they should have read the series before the fight, so they know what was comming \o/

androssi_02_broken.png

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Awesome, a great chapter, it looks like Meguru's starting to put it all together.

I wonder if getting flung into that knee to the liver made Mr Smug a little regretful of letting all those advantageous positions just slide like he did.  :D

Tn7HA0h.png

Purple Library Guy

Purple Library Guy

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 695 posts

Hehe.  Yup.

Everath

Everath

Lord of Longcats

• Contrib Mods
  • 120 posts

hah, we accually got a double spread! :o

androssi_02_broken.png

Shuaguin

Shuaguin

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

damn cliffhanger!7

it is gonna be decided with points!

Bah i am sure Meguru Won. Right?

but he did not kick his ass! :(

i would have want a  victory humilating for is opponent, that was not realy satisfaying. :mad: