Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Discussion Raws

Tokyo Ghoul Raw Dark Fantasy Horror Manga Ishida Sui :re Sotonami Banana

• Please log in to reply
12762 replies to this topic

rutilation

rutilation

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I don't know, I can't decide whether he's alive or not. I went back and reread 140 and "I already know what will happen to me the next time I wake up." line throws me off a bit. That's not exactly the line someone makes before they die unless you intrepret "wake up" as waking up in the afterlife or what not. As far as we've seen, he hasn't woken up again. Also the fact that the 14th tarot card, which was thrown around everywhere in that chapter, isn't about death. In fact, it's just the opposite, it's about bringing together opposites and recovery (from my google search: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperance_%28Tarot_card%29). Going back to the tarot cards, #12 which is the card which is often associated with Kaneki, is often also associated with Odin and Jesus, which coincidentally both have resurrection in common after death. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hanged_Man_%28Tarot_card%29)

It's also a smidgen odd with his character progression. After the incident with Jason, Kaneki was described as having the gentle side that can become ruthless at the flip of a switch, which was describe on more than one ocassion as "unstable". Chapter 140 felt like the resolution to that inner turmoil, and we see the two halfs coming together, but we never exactly see the results of that transformation and there isn't a satisfying conclusion to his character arc. But, I might be grasping at straws here. He could just be dead, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see a Kane-comeback in the future.

Wait, Odin has one eye doesn't he?  Just like Kaneki.  And seeing as Odin attained enlightenment after sacrificing his eye and dying, it would be a great parallel for Kaneki to lose his eyesight, die a metaphorical death, and come out the other side with newfound wisdom and inner peace.

Also, fun-fact, according to wikipedia, one tarot deck represents the high priestess as Frigg, Odin's wife.  Though that's probably just an unintentional coincidence since it isn't really related to the original potrayal.  But the shippy metatext is still there.

Edited by rutilation, 13 September 2014 - 05:17 AM.

dansamp

dansamp

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts

will kaneki-kun photo (wikia/profile) be changed to this? lol

Attached File  kan.png   37.71KB   26 downloads

_h_u_go

_h_u_go

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

This world is… wrong.
This world is… WRONG. (Both Amon and Kaneki share those thoughts)
We are… (This is an interesting one. Could refer to humans and ghouls, or Amon and Kaneki who are the central point)
I have to eat. To eat is to steal.
I have to eat. To eat is to protect.
I have to eat. To eat is to lose.
I have to eat. To eat is to make a mistake.
(Those sound like both of them to a degree. I dunno how to describe it, but it feels like a back and forth between both)

My salvation is just to sleep and have a happy dream.
My salvation is…
___ …

And that is the final tweet of Ishida. Right?

For me Amon is alive for sure. But Kaneki I hope he save himself.

Good Night the last turn off the light.

DorkingtonPugsly

DorkingtonPugsly

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • LocationUnited States

will kaneki-kun photo (wikia/profile) be changed to this? lol

attachicon.gifkan.png

lol

x-cube323

x-cube323

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 237 posts
This is just so damn sad. Kaneki got squished like a pathetic noname and seems to be a quinque now. Amon just died offscreen???
This chapter brought up even more confusion :(

What a horrible way to end a manga this great. The only anwers we got from this chapter are Uta, Itori, Roma, Nico and Souta are responsible for basically everything that happened to Kaneki. Ayato is the black rabbit. Yoshimura became the new test subject.

As expected the CCG didn't find Amon's corpse...or did they? I don't know and I'm too frustrated to reread the chapter.
Kaneki's friends don't even know what happened to him. They can only assume it.

Touka on the last page really caused me to shed a tear. She still hopes that Kaneki will come back...

Rize didn't even appear. What was the point of her being reintroduced in the story if Ishida only throws her on the garbage dump?
She will live as Yomo's pet in this container forever or what?

If there's no part 2 I want to see the japanese fans reaction and a statement from Ishida explaining all this bullshit.

HinamiTheGokkunHero!

HinamiTheGokkunHero!

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 9 posts

sigh, look its been foreshadowed plenty all over the place.

what is Arima called?  Shinigami.  <-- why is he so powerful.

in the afterlife we are shown that jobs are given relating to the existence of ghouls.

Ghouls turned into quinques do not soul reside in them, but exist in an afterlife location.

Why do you think Arima has no will to leave behind when he goes to battle?  He already died.

and so on and so on.

SarmaXX

SarmaXX

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

Has noone thought of the possibility of Juuzou being the main character in a sequel? there was a one-shot with juuzou in it a while ago.

maybe the purpose of it was building up for the sequel?

And after shinoharas death (assuming he died) wouldn't that "change" Juuzou in some kinda way, making him a possible Main character?

rutilation

rutilation

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I'm truly convinced Kaneki will live, the more I think of it. This story, so far, has been as he described. A tragedy as written by someone else. And that's why I think revealing Takatsuki in this final arc and revealing her as the One Eyed Queen is so meaningful. If you think of it, everything that has turned his life into this deep, dark hole has been related in one way or another to Aogiri. I dunno about Takatsuki's full works, seeing how we'll probably never read them, but based on her love for Kafka and the mentions made throughout and whatnot, her style is one where it will all end in tragedy. It's as if she was controlling his life, and this would fit for the end of a book of hers. But at the end of this arc, Kaneki finally reached that peaceful inner middle ground, he accepted the inevitable and that alone seems to go against what we've seen of Takatsuki's works, and at that point, I feel he started writing his own story. And I feel that's what part 2 will be. Not a tragedy, but an epic. Kaneki will have to write his own story this time around instead of being led around through a story written by others.

So basically Takatsuki is Drosselmeyer XD.

I'm okay with this *fingers crossed that the rebirth theme will come through in the sequel that really needs to happen*

bloodyclaws

bloodyclaws

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 22 posts

Please let there be a part 2!!! Wow i feel so shitty right now after that last chapter...

just so many things unanswered that it just cannot end like that.

Edited by bloodyclaws, 13 September 2014 - 07:15 AM.

Jassim Al-Madeh

Jassim Al-Madeh

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationBahrain

Why would Eto bother giving Hinami a wrong number?

Can't decide

Overweight Otter

Overweight Otter

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts

On page 18, Itori says: "The objective of the CCG is now total annihilation. It seems like there are no prisoners in Cochlea."

Am I correct in assuming that this means that the CCG killed all the remaining prisoners?

If that's true, then Kaneki couldn't have been taken there. He's probably dead or then he was taken somewhere else...

I don't know how else I'm supposed to interpret Itori's words. At least she's not saying something simple like: "They didn't take any new prisoners."

akagodeater

akagodeater

Potato

• Members
  • 127 posts
Kaneki is alive i know
the last two pages have your meaning, someone has noticed the colors are: blue and green that is life and hope, the colors also have meaning

favole

favole

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
I just read the chapter. I'm dead. Seriously, it's just too much.

But you know what I hate the most? The fact that Touka was here from the very beginning, that she was his biggest ally, that she still believes in him in the end and that Ishida left her after the aogiri arc...
Ending the chapter by Touka believe in him is just cruel: why? Because if she had gone with him after aogiri, maybe he would have realized earlier what he realized in chapter 120 after their fight and this whole mess... Maybe it wouldn't have happen (clowns or not).

I'm very mad right now, it feels horrible...

On page 18, Itori says: "The objective of the CCG is now total annihilation. It seems like there are no prisoners in Cochlea."

Am I correct in assuming that this means that the CCG killed all the remaining prisoners?
If that's true, then Kaneki couldn't have been taken there. He's probably dead or then he was taken somewhere else...

I don't know how else I'm supposed to interpret Itori's words. At least she's not saying something simple like: "They didn't take any new prisoners."

I think it's just that in the Anteiku battle, Doves had decided to kill rather than to try putting ghouls in prisons.
So owl and Kaneki could only have death and not jail, that's why she's laughing.

bloodyclaws

bloodyclaws

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 22 posts

dammit.. I still haven't gotten over this ending yet. Why!! been thinking about it periodically throughout the day.

In all honesty, there is a favorable chance that there will definitely be a continuation. I've never seen a main character go off like that and another "main character" that dies off screen at the same time. There so much left to solve.

I posted twice here just to try and quell this emptiness... but I have faith that it is not the end.

I just need that confirmation >.<

Overweight Otter

Overweight Otter

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts

I think it's just that in the Anteiku battle, Doves had decided to kill rather than to try putting ghouls in prisons.
So owl and Kaneki could only have death and not jail, that's why she's laughing.

That's what I thought at first, too. The wording just seems a bit off somehow... I'll have to wait for another translation to see if it makes more sense then.

Edit: It seems like the translation's a little unclear. Itori said that the CCG didn't take prisoners this time.

Edited by Overweight Otter, 13 September 2014 - 01:27 PM.

akagodeater

akagodeater

Potato

• Members
  • 127 posts
i know i'm desperate
but if suitcase not is kaneki is 

Narukami 

img000004.jpgImsvGfY.png

Edited by akagodeater, 13 September 2014 - 08:20 AM.

DorkingtonPugsly

DorkingtonPugsly

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • LocationUnited States

19? The Sun.

c7mdNwV.jpg?1

Edited by DorkingtonPugsly, 13 September 2014 - 08:26 AM.

akagodeater

akagodeater

Potato

• Members
  • 127 posts

19? The Sun.

c7mdNwV.jpg?1

This card is generally considered positive. It is said to reflect happiness and contentment, vitality, self-confidence and success. Sometimes referred to as the best card in Tarot, it represents good things and positive outcomes to current struggles.

Edited by akagodeater, 13 September 2014 - 08:29 AM.

DorkingtonPugsly

DorkingtonPugsly

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Yeah optimism, expansion, enlightenment, assurance, personal power, hope for the future are some of what the sun stands for.

I'd like to think this is Ishida's way of saying there's more... 

akagodeater

akagodeater

Potato

• Members
  • 127 posts

i like the idea: The old one-eyed ghoul artificial prototype(Kaneki) is more powerful than the new one-eyed ghoul artificial(one-eyed owl )

Edited by akagodeater, 13 September 2014 - 09:07 AM.