Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Live Action Adaptations: The good, the bad, and the "Oh my God, why?!"

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

November Rose

November Rose

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 31 posts

Hello good people of Batoto. As you can see I'm new here. Hopefully I'll be around some more and have the chance to get to know some of you. But for now, I want to get some opinions.

I'm using this topic to gain some data. I want to understand the viewpoints of real fans when it comes to live action adaptations of anime, games, etc.

So, for the cons I plan to go to in the future, I want to do a panel about the live action adaptations of anime, games, manga, etc. However, I need to gain some opinions about live action films. What I'm going to ask of those of you that are kind enough read and reply, is to rate a the movies that I list from 1-10 (if you have seen it of course). 1 being the worst and 10 being the best. You can also list any live action adaptations that are not on the list and give a rating for them.

In addition, I'm only looking at films. Not TV show live action adaptations.

Here is the list:

Dragonball Evolution
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat II
Super Mario Bros.
Death Note
Death Note: The Last Name
L: Change the World
Kimi ni Todoke
Rurouni Kenshin
The Prince of Tennis
Speed Racer
Street Fighter
Transformers
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Edited by November Rose, 14 March 2014 - 09:22 AM.

KidCongo

KidCongo

Global Moderator

• Contrib Mods
  • 1,768 posts

Avatar: The Last Airbender - Never seen it, but it's by M. Night Shyamalan, so that's a good reason to not watch it.
Dragonball Evolution - No idea.
Mortal Kombat - If you don't mind that it's directed by Paul W. S. Anderson, and that it's quite bloodless.   4.1943573684535

Mortal Kombat II - I know I watched it, but it left no impression whatsoever.
Super Mario Bros. - Widely regarded as being sub-par - by a wide margin.   1.1127321
Speed Racer - Vastly under-rated in my opinion  8.3194553
Street Fighter - An objectively bad film, that can provide some camp entertainment    4.375425523
Transformers - Utter Tripe   1.2645323

For all those thinking of thanking me for the scanlations, I only upload them, and I'm just a mod here. Please leave a message on the actual groups' pages that do all the hard work.

Samhill

Samhill

Potato

• Members
  • 151 posts

City Hunter - They tried to make it too much like the anime, which doesn't work IRL. Didn't like it. I give it a 2.

"So round, so firm, so fully packed." - Daffy Duck, not talking about what you probably think he's talking about.

Serapis

Serapis

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationThe Heavens

I'd say the Death Note films were fairly well done, though they didn't stay very true to the original plot, which might have been a little cause for concern for some of the manga's fans. But they were still good. I'd say around 7/10. (:

As for Transformers... I suppose I don't even need to go there.

Edited by Cerazoun, 21 March 2014 - 11:58 PM.

Hear the wind whistle softly through thy eternally drifting locks.

Hear the water's rough'ning edge as your murky visage it mocks.

clamzoopa

clamzoopa

Potato

• Members
  • 164 posts

I'd say the Death Note films were fairly well done, though they didn't stay very true to the original plot, which might have been a little cause for concern for some of the manga's fans. But they were still good. I'd say around 7/10. (:

As for Transformers... I suppose I don't even need to go there.

I thought the first Transformers was good.

Roronoa_Raiden

Roronoa_Raiden

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationGermany

Avatar - 1/10 (it was horrible, I felt very sad after watching it because the source material is soooooo good)

Dragonball:Evolution - 1/10 (pls lets not talk about that one...)

Super Mario Bros. - 7/10 (it's long ago that I last watched it, but despite it having almost nothing to do with the Mario games, I quite enjoyed it nonetheless each time I watched it^^)

Mortal Kombat - N/A (had watched really really long time ago and I think it was quite decent, I also heard it isn't not too bad)

Transformers - 6/10 (the first one wasn't too bad, actually it was pretty cool, but nothing outstanding^^)

---------

In The Name of the King - 4/10 (it was quite funny to watch, but not because it's a comedy but because it isn't really well done xD but the action scenes were quite good^^) (it's the adaption of the game Dungeon Siege)

GANTZ (both ones) - 8/10 (It is one of the better live-action adaptions, probably because it came from japan. But it could have made somethings better, though it still did many things good)

I think that are all that I watched.

"Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our means, but what we seek to accomplish."

Banner+-+MassEffect1.jpg

"We impose order on the chaos of organic evolution. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it."

"Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters."

"It's something turians are taught from birth. If even one person is still left standing at the end of a war, then the fight was worth it."

lilcrybaby

lilcrybaby

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 35 posts
  • Locationbieng the breeze that tenderly lifts a young womans skirt up

hmm... lets see

Avatar: The Last Airbender - just fancy special efects and thats all. nothing more to see.

Dragonball Evolution - just garbage with no redeemable qualaties.

Mortal Kombat - i actually thought that it was pretty enterntaining

Mortal Kombat II-  welll its more enterteining that avatar ill leave it at that.

Super Mario Bros. - never seen it

Death Note - .....never knew they released it

Death Note: The Last Name - same as above

L: Change the World - same as above

Kimi ni Todoke - same as above.... and downloading as we speak

Rurouni Kenshin - i guess that the bar of quality that the anime set is just too high for a live action

The Prince of Tennis - never seen it

Speed Racer- never seen it

Street Fighter - pretty entertaining and the pose they did at the end was a nice touch.

Transformers
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Transformers: Dark of the Moon - ................................same as avatar

2hot4you

2hot4you

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationThe Wild
Can Edge of tomorrow be considered one?

aovnZo7.png

November Rose

November Rose

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 31 posts

I almost forgot about this thread. o.o

But to answer 2hot4you: Maybe. It was based on a light novel, but I was thinking more about visual sources like anime, games, manga, etc.

Ccrados

Ccrados

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Locationthe other side

Death Note: 7/10
Kimi ni Todoke: 8/10 (The cast fits the characters all too well and the acting was cute enough)
The Prince of Tennis: 6/10
Transformers: 7/10 (At least give the visual and audio effects some credit)

tumblr_inline_nwjunhls6J1rqfb5i_540.png

ThatYellowFever

ThatYellowFever

Potato

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • LocationIreland

Easily the worst live action adaptions I've watched are the collective pile of human waste that is Dragon Ball evolution and the Last Air Bender adaption at 1 and 1. I actually can't articulate just how much I hate those movies

Bokuboy

Bokuboy

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 260 posts

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe - 80's camp gone all wrong. How can you mess up such great material? Easy. Put it on Earth. BUT... the remake might save it from live action hell.

Transformers - What the hell was wrong with the transformers (BOOOM!!) we all knew and loved? (BLAMO!!!) Nothing. Let's change it. (KABOOOM!!!!) Okay. (Micheal Bay influence). It did NOT need a human presence.

Jem and the Holograms - Who in their right minds ponies up millions of dollars for this load of crap? Can you guess what happened? Yep, it hit the fan.

GIJoe - Well, I guess even Hollywood can screw up easy money. (ironic I know)

Resident Evil - I don't even want to start on complaining about this franchise. The animated movies were a lot better, but I still don't like the unstoppable super-huge ultimate bad guys. Really? Come on. Suspension of disbelief can only go so far. They'd be crushed under their own weight for cripes sakes. Why do you think whales never come ashore willingly? Their internal organs would pulverize each other.

*\(シ)/*

Russet potatoes are the most delicious!

OzzieP

OzzieP

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in time and space
The Last Airbender - 1 - Shyamalan had a ready made story, a loyal fan base, a beloved mythos handed to him on a silver platter that only needed to be adapted slightly or as with The Deathly Hallows broken into a two movies perhaps per "book" and yet with all of that gift wrapped and given to him, he somehow ignored what made the show so wonderful. Spoilers do follow below

He recreated character personalities, to a point nationalities, and either altered or was inconsistent with character designs, e.g. a family portrait in the movie of the Fire Lord was spot-on for the show, albeit too early to reveal, while the actual character in the movie was nothing like the shows design. He ignored much of the established story and seemed for some plot points to jump seasons, made creative choices that made no sense (Kitara not asking Aang his name until they had already been traveling for some time) changed name pronunciations between the show and movie, albeit his might have been more accurate, he cut out key characters and so many of the emotional moments and by doing this created something unwatchable. end spoilers

To me what is so sad here is, all the potential it had to become a beloved series it could have spanned several movies and become like the Harry Potter movies, a little different from the source material but still true to what people loved.

The Golden Compass - 5- many of the same reasons as above, there was so much potential for a beloved book series to become a beloved movie series and yet so much wasted in the effort that it become somewhat watchable for me, but nothing that left me looking for a sequel.

Edited by OzzieP, 13 June 2016 - 02:26 AM.

It gives one a great sense of satisfaction to do it in perfect unison. - Michelle Cheung R.O.D. TV

Officer Judy Hopps

Officer Judy Hopps

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationWonderland!
Dragonball Evolution was cancer. Don't waste your time.

tumblr_o3sndbSAhX1qctrupo2_500.gif

Me, according to a Hero:

Spoiler

SliceAndDice

SliceAndDice

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 95 posts

The Last Airbender movie was a travesty wrapped in a disgrace and lightly dipped in sham. 1/10

The Transformers movies, in the best way I've ever heard it put, are enjoyable in a "Turn off your brain, don't think about the plot, just watch giant CGI robots punch the **** out of each other" sense. I'd say 3/10

Speaking from a film studies/writing degree perspective, adapting manga, anime, or video games to the silver screen is one hell of a task. By far the biggest reason for this is because you have two entirely different audience demographics that need to be catered to; the fans of whatever you're adapting, who will know the original subject matter front to back, back to front, inside out, and sideways, and people who have never experienced the story but will be attracted by your previews and advertising. That, by itself, presents a large roadblock because you must stay true enough to the original to satisfy the former group while bringing the story close enough to more conventional storytelling and techniques so the latter doesn't get lost, all while making sure your vision as director/producer is clearly brought forward.

The second largest difficulty is the nature of the mediums involved. Anime & manga are both episodic, with a through-line of plot and ongoing action that persists week to week, month to month, and each episode or chapter has its own moderately contained mini-story that builds the overarcing plot. This is what allows those mediums to tell these big, sweeping, long-term stories and focus on as many of the small events between Point A and Point B as they do, when done well. That's how Death Note allows us to see Light's thought process and personal conflict in the sizable majority of his killings and his scheming, or how in a big bad Warring Kingdoms story like Avatar: The Last Airbender we get to follow all the little stops, events, and lessons Aang and company learn between destinations (or how in Lord Marksman & Vanadis we get to witness the strategy and unfolding of almost every battle)- the nature of the beast gives the creator(s) the time and breathing room needed to focus on the microdetails. On the other hand, movies and novels (which are the more common and far more successful/easy adaptation target) are all about the macro; you as creator have 100-140 minutes or 250-400 pages to introduce your protagonist, take them on an adventure, get to the point, and wrap it up with a neat little bow or a cliffhanging sequel hook. You don't have time to focus on every little thing that happens between the Innocent Country Village and the Caves of Despair, you just hit the ones that have a major impact on the plot and keep it moving.

So, when you try to adapt an episodic story to the straight shot, hit the high points medium like film, you inevitably cut things out, which fragments the story and requires rewriting to cover the holes... which can easily lose the non-fan in the details and inevitably enrages the fan because you changed something or cut their favorite side bit. And even in a case like the Last Airbender movie, where whether or not someone enjoyed it depended almost entirely on whether or not they had watched the show, at best that will break your audience base in two roughly equal pieces, which is almost guaranteed to sink your ratings.

As for video games... I think adapting them to film is something that simply cannot work. Part of what makes video games appealing is the immersion; even in a heavily pre-scripted story like Final Fantasy or Legend of Zelda, 90% of the events of the plot are triggered or influenced by characters directly controlled by the player. And that is a powerful feeling, so much so that one of the aspects that will gain a game a lot of prestige is finding a new way to work it. Assassin's Creed as a series took off in part because they did just that with the second layer and the syncronization, and one of the fundamental building blocks of the Bioshock series is that the games offer the player a choice at several intervals, and by doing that they bring player and character that much closer. Even if there is enough of a lore to a game to make a movie out of it, which there are plenty of games that have such, by adapting it to film you are required to completely remove that immersion, which means that no matter how faithfully you stick to the story the audience will always feel that something is missing.

Anyway, those are my two cents as someone who studies/has studied film and writing, feel free to take what you will. I can only hope it helped.

Edited by Hero of Ishval, 01 July 2016 - 02:33 AM.

2rD2TPI.gif

Myself, as told by a Hawk;

Spoiler

OzzieP

OzzieP

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in time and space
Even given the mass difficulties of transitioning a book, show, short story pr other media form to the silver screen that Hero of Ishval noted above, it can be done. I admit the exceptions are few and far between but a major example of how it can be done for three movies is, in my opinion the Godfather movies. In my opinion there is no doubt the first movie was superior to the book. It stood strongly on its own, despite the edits and cuts from the book.

Again, I acknowledge that is the exception and not the rule, but it also shows it is possible, which is why it is so frustrating when things like The Last Airbender or The Golden Compass happen. A

Perhaps through a better example of what could happen, a nice midpoint between horrible and classic, a nice realm of god but not great are the Harry Potter movies. While I admit to preferring the books and admit the movies heavily edit and rush thongs at times, change plot points and have different characters taking on roles at times to move the story forward and avoid having an off screen character introduced for a short time and one plot point, but given that, they are their own way still true to the overall story and enjoyable... How the gift of a story like The Last Airbender couldn't even reach that happy medium frustrates and mystifies me.

Let me add one I recently had to sit through with a cousin, Jem and the Holograms, that was a horrible version and had about as much to do with the 1980's show as Gilligan's Island does with The Poseidon Adventure.

Edited by OzzieP, 08 September 2016 - 01:50 AM.

It gives one a great sense of satisfaction to do it in perfect unison. - Michelle Cheung R.O.D. TV