Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Anybody here play Riichi Mahjong because of this manga?

mahjong

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

pantsu

pantsu

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 71 posts

Just out of curiosity.

Kyouko Suehara

Kyouko Suehara

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationHimematsu-shi

I have. Joined Online tournaments and of course casual games both online and in real life thanks to this.

sevenwarlord

sevenwarlord

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

i do play but majong is hard :( i can't play it well

Kuritopa

Kuritopa

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

I played a bit way before this.  Was not too interested at the time, my family had always had a mahjong set.

Then I read Legend of Koizumi and saw the Saki anime. 

I really got into learning the actual game and now I greatly enjoy it.  You get a totally new appreciation for how crazy some of the things are in the manga when you actually know the game xD

Now I've probably taught atleast 10 of my friends riichi mahjong (teaching others really helped with learning) , and its a great way to wind down and talk about the day while you play.

Amplify

Amplify

Potato

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationEngland

I started it because of Akagi, I started reading this because of Akagi too.

codetaku

codetaku

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 19 posts

Why would anyone play mahjong because of this manga? It's about as much a mahjong manga as The Prince of Tennis is a Tennis manga. i.e. "the rules are technically abided by, but everything that actually happens is totally bullshit." They don't cover the actual building of a hand, it's just "WOW BUT I COULD FEEL THE FLOW IN MY FAVOR WHY DIDN'T I WIN THIS HAND??"

Edited by codetaku, 01 January 2016 - 07:57 PM.

kuraiaku

kuraiaku

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 27 posts

It doesn't matter how unreal/ridiculous it is as long as it pulls people's interest into the said topic (sports/games/etc). Some kids for example wants to play soccer because they watched Captain Tsubasa, even though it's clearly unrealistic on the anime, yeah they won't be able to pull unreal stunts the fictional character does but it made them started playing just by pure interest. So why not?