Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

How I Plan to Overhaul the Follows for Comics

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts
  • LocationHere of course!

I know this gets posted very often in the suggestion and with merit. But I want to share with people what I envision at least. And get a good sense of how people would feel about this change. Once complete, I will remove the existing comic follows (both the old and newer that we have).

The current follows system is a mix of my custom work based on IPB's core follow system. I had initially used the IPB's core follow in hopes that it'll help me in development and implementation. But I was very wrong. My attempts to use it in the manner which we use it turned out to be very inefficient and limiting. So, it will be removed entirely. I'm not saying your follow list is going to be emptied, of course, they will be imported to the new system. I'm saying the new version will not use IPB's core follow anymore.

Phase 1: 

The adherence to the language selection will obviously be supported.

This will be composed of 2 3 parts. The latest updates (like you see now in your follows) and list of comics. But the list of comics will contain information much like the old follows. This includes when it was updated and what you've last read. The comics will be sorted alphabetically and will have pages for those of you who have many follows.

Phase 1 will completely replace the "newer" follows. As it has no missing feature that the previous has, it shouldn't be any issue.

Phase 1.5:

Not a significant phase. But I'll also add export feature to export your current list.

Phase 2:

Additional sorting of the comics will be added. Including:

• by latest release
  • by popularity (probably will be some form of follow count)

This cannot be done at the same time due to how we currently track comics. Or... lack of how we track comics. A lot of change will have to occur before the phase 2 can get started. This stage will also open additional doors to sorting via follows in comic search (I know that gets brought up lot too) as well as more accurate follow count.

End of Phase 2 will completely remove the old follows. As it has no missing feature that the previous has, it shouldn't be any issue.

Phase 3:

Option to remember what you've read.

This is per chapter. It will remember ALL the chapters you've read and mark it so. This applies to comic page as well (not the front page though). If there are chapters you've read already, they will be marked like this.

For your privacy, this feature will be off by default. So, we're not like youtube who remembers things you watched even if you delete your history...

Multiple follow list!

There will be a default: "My Follows" category which holds your follows. And then you can create additional categories. You can name each categories whatever you want, though I think i'll restrict you to alphanumeric characters (and space) in what you can name them for less hassle security reasons. So you can create categories like "Completed", "To read", etc. to organize your follows in your own custom setup.

Public lists. You can make your list public. It will be set to hidden by default.

------------------------------

Follows for groups will be left as is. I have no plans for that right now. And I have enough plans.

Strawbellies

Strawbellies

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • LocationKonohagakure
I love you.
Suggest me shoujos?

S.C.

S.C.

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,258 posts
  • LocationThe Epicenter of Indifference

Ohhh finally.

Posted Image

OchaMeido❣

OchaMeido❣

The Head Maid

• Contrib Mods
  • 1,728 posts
  • Location@ the Greenhouse Tea Party~

Yay~ ^O^~ I love the new plan!!

An custom list is what I always wanted !!

All your hard work , grumpy isnt for nothing !! ~~

Our community will definitely grows and grows upon new features and systems!! ^^//

ןן Tea Party~ ןן "THE BAR" ןן

ןןGuide to Uploading/deltin/sortin ןן

ןן[Must read] COMMENT SECTIONS RULES ן

Follow the comment sections' rules or else, you will be hanging at the edge of an cliff ^^
It maybe one step closer to death's door or an extension of your life's time.

Daktyl

Daktyl

Discord King

• Contrib Mods
  • 825 posts
  • LocationMI, USA

This sounds amazing and I can't wait :D

• zno likes this

My words are my own, and do not represent Batoto in any way, shape, or form unless otherwise stated in the post itself ^.^

annihilator

annihilator

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,035 posts
  • Locationnomad...

alright! H5

...m y a l t e r e g o...

Posted Image

Gendalph

Gendalph

Fried Potato

• Contrib Mods
  • 576 posts
  • Locationbeyond the Veil
Great! I'm looking forward to this.

Eien No

Eien No

Russet Potato

• Donator
  • 217 posts

I have seen the future and it is awesome.

Myrrh.gif

Miki

Miki

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 570 posts
  • LocationIn the trash....

*hugs grumpy*

YES  CAN"T WAIT>_<

tumblr_mj1tf4Zx0V1s6wcafo1_500.gif                             tumblr_nda9f1laEv1s74qeso2_250.png

Spoiler

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

Well, I've actually become fairly attached to having the basic, alphabetical listing of all my followed titles as it currently appears on the "newer follows" (specifically how it all appears on one page). It sounds like that listing will now have some of the content of the "old follows", meaning  "will have pages for those of you who have many follows".  

Personally, I routinely use that listing for a shortcut to the specific manga pages........it's a time saver if the title isn't immediately visible on the home or follows pages, and it saves having to type it in and go through the search results page. So yeah, I'm certainly glad we'll still have an alphabetical listing, and having the additional info incorporated into it is fine............but I wish it'd all be on one page, I suppose kind of like how the "old follows" is.

I guess one question I'd have with the "have pages for those of you who have many follows" would be how the "pages" would be separated. As in "pages" "alphabetically" by title, or pages decided by a maximum number of entries per page. I'd vote for "alphabetically"........that way you could go straight to the page with the title you're looking for (or at least get close to it if it was a combination of "maximum entries per page" and "alphabetically"). 

Other than that......additional sorting options........ multiple, custom follows lists.......awesome, sounds great.   :)

Edited by svines85, 11 February 2014 - 11:08 PM.

Tn7HA0h.png

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts

Yes, I meant pages in alphabetic order of the main title in phase 1. From phase 2, you'll have options you can select.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

Yes, I meant pages in alphabetic order of the main title in phase 1. From phase 2, you'll have options you can select.

Cool, that's what I was curious about. 

Edited by svines85, 25 February 2014 - 07:45 PM.

Tn7HA0h.png

powha

powha

Vocaloid

• Contrib Mods
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationGensokyo

Good stuff :D

annihilator

annihilator

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,035 posts
  • Locationnomad...

i definitely agree with the alphabetically ordered list of mangas... reasons? as stated before... ^^

...m y a l t e r e g o...

Posted Image

Alacia

Alacia

Russet Potato

• The Company
  • 230 posts
  • LocationUSA

The new changes sound great. A few questions, though. No word on the language settings update? Also, why are the last 3 chapter updates of each manga now listed together instead of by most recent update?

Grumpy

Grumpy

RawR

• Administrators
  • 4,078 posts

The new changes sound great. A few questions, though. No word on the language settings update? Also, why are the last 3 chapter updates of each manga now listed together instead of by most recent update?

There needs to be a lang setting update? (other than more langs)

It groups up chapters of the same comic. 

Daktyl

Daktyl

Discord King

• Contrib Mods
  • 825 posts
  • LocationMI, USA

Only chapters of the same manga on the same page of follows are grouped up. And even then, the top chapter of each grouping is sorted by most recent update.

There was a good picture somewhere explaining it with colored boxes...

My words are my own, and do not represent Batoto in any way, shape, or form unless otherwise stated in the post itself ^.^

Alacia

Alacia

Russet Potato

• The Company
  • 230 posts
  • LocationUSA

There needs to be a lang setting update? (other than more langs)

It groups up chapters of the same comic.

I mean getting the language settings to stay without using cookies, since some people prefer not to keep cookies for more than one session out of privacy and security concerns. Every time we log in, we need to select "English only" all over again.

Yes, I understand how the new sorting system of updates work on the follows list. Why did it change to the new grouped system, though? I can't see at a glance what the most recent updates are anymore, I need to check the dates on each one now.

Stark700

Stark700

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationAnime World

First time posting on Batoto forums~ I just wonder if the system will eliminate the problem when manga chapters are updated by the follows but not listed in the actual comics category. Suppose a manga got updated on another site (most times, another scan site). For example, right now I notice that both the manga Boochiman - English - Ch.1v2 and Akiba's Trip - English - Ch.0v2 have been uploaded to other sites but no here on Batoto. Yet, it shows up in my update section but not actually available for reading yet. Most times, it is not viewable in the My Follows on Batoto category until later but is somewhow available in the Follows Menu on RSS. The chapter shows there on RSS but it usually does not become available in the My Follows category until later that sometimes can extend to hours or even a day. Will the system fix that?

Edited by Stark700, 26 February 2014 - 03:10 AM.

seyrine

seyrine

Unemployed Kitty In A Penguin Suit

• Administrators
  • 1,830 posts
  • LocationLurking nearby...

First time posting on Batoto forums~

I just wonder if the system will eliminate the problem when manga chapters are updated by the follows but not listed in the actual comics category. Suppose a manga got updated on another site (most times, another scan site). For example, right now I notice that both the manga Boochiman - English - Ch.1v2 and Akiba's Trip - English - Ch.0v2 have been uploaded to other sites but no here on Batoto. Yet, it shows up in my update section but not actually available for reading yet.

Most times, it is not viewable in the My Follows category until later but is somewhow available in the Follows Menu from RSS. The chapter shows there or part of RSS but it usually does not become available in the My Follows category until later that sometimes can extend to hours or even a day.

Will the system fix that?

The problem you're describing should be the fault of the delay set by the scan group, in which the system announces that the chapter is available on the servers but is unavailable due to the delay hence you can't see it yet. It is a known "bug" of sorts, but since Batoto is one of the few sites (if not the only site, afaik) that follows scanlator delay policies, there isn't much we can do for now.

Additional Info linked by my fellow mods:

http://vatoto.com/forums/topic/15576-how-the-my-follow-view-by-comic-is-sorted/#entry1031245

http://vatoto.com/forums/topic/16410-follows-bug-old-chapters-surfacing-with-addition-of-new/page-2

Catch my story; the Neverender Series

Batoto's Rules Repository | Rules, Guidelines and FAQs

Rules and Regulations | How to get help | Frequently Asked Questions

If all else fails, PM me. And use the REPORT button if you see any content that may violate site policy.

Catch me on irc.idlechat.net (#seyrine) and D.F.T.B.A.!