Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Sun-Ken Rock is on Crunchyroll

Sun-Ken Rock Crunchyroll

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Weaper

Weaper

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 242 posts

Crunchyroll anounced that the addition of Sun-Ken Rock to their simulpub http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-838515/new-simulpub-manga-sun-ken-rock

Sun-Ken Rock will be published by Crunchyroll in simulpub starting chapter 135. This means you'll get the new chapter every 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month at 4pm Pacific Time, at the same time as it gets published in magazine in Japan.

It'll be available wolrdwide expect for Algeria, Lebanon, Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg, Morocco, Poland, Switzerland, and South Korea. If you're in one of the country concerned by the exclusion, just use something to hide your IP ;)

Crunchyroll's has a policy of leaving the latest chapter of their manga in simulpub free to read so it won't affect much of your reading habit aside from going to their site instead of Batoto or Japanzai. It's not much to bear when you know that from now on you'll be supporting Boichi when reading Sun-Ken Rock!

Anyways, what do you think about it?

Posted Image

Sun-Ken RockGunnmMemories of Enamon

Spoiler

derpyhooves

derpyhooves

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

In my opinion, I think this is a great transition.  

Batoto, I think should respect your wishes, Weaper, so that all the english subs Japanazi has done are eventually taken down on batoto.

I feel like we are on the precipice of something new and exciting in manga... the proper process of how a manga should be licensed.

I am also composing a message to crunchyroll that they and perhaps the author themselves should thank you for your swift action in respect there wishes and doing a very small review for chapter 135 to help fans transition to the official license manga.  The fact that the uploader on batoto did a positive, but fair review for the manga is something that I have honestly never scene before.  I loved your "FUCKING AWESOME" line ^_^

I would like to encourage Japanazi to continue to do reviews of the next 50 or so chapters.  You have to let use know if the translators mess up on a line or there are bizzare Cultural translations.   I believe Japanazi should be the honest critical voice in the room.

Instead of becoming the driver of Sun Ken Rock, you are now the navigator helping the license manga avoid the treacherous cultural rocks that have sunk Tokyopop, 4kids, and Funimation in the past.  

Edited by derpyhooves, 13 February 2014 - 07:58 PM.

Weaper

Weaper

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 242 posts

@derpyhooves: first, I'd like to fix something. The team is JapanZAI and not JapanNAZI...

as for the chapters reviews, I've always been doing them on SunKenRock.com and posting a recap on Japanzai's releases posts. If you like them, I'd recommend you to go to the site. Advertising the new chapters on Japanzai even though we no longer do them is still in debates.

I've been supporting Sun-Ken Rock since december 2010 and plan to see it to its end so let's push Crunchyroll and help them by spreading the word to others!

thanks for your support ;)

Posted Image

Spoiler

Interstice

Interstice

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts

In my opinion, I think this is a great transition.  

Batoto, I think should respect your wishes, Weaper, so that all the english subs Japanazi has done are eventually taken down on batoto.

I feel like we are on the precipice of something new and exciting in manga... the proper process of how a manga should be licensed.

I am also composing a message to crunchyroll that they and perhaps the author themselves should thank you for your swift action in respect there wishes and doing a very small review for chapter 135 to help fans transition to the official license manga.  The fact that the uploader on batoto did a positive, but fair review for the manga is something that I have honestly never scene before.  I loved your "FUCKING AWESOME" line ^_^

I would like to encourage Japanazi to continue to do reviews of the next 50 or so chapters.  You have to let use know if the translators mess up on a line or there are bizzare Cultural translations.   I believe Japanazi should be the honest critical voice in the room.

Instead of becoming the driver of Sun Ken Rock, you are now the navigator helping the license manga avoid the treacherous cultural rocks that have sunk Tokyopop, 4kids, and Funimation in the past.  

True words has been spoken !!!

Edited by Tolunay, 14 February 2014 - 05:21 PM.

Koro

Koro

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 22 posts

It'd be nice if they ditched the flash they're using to read manga. I understand the reason behind it, but it makes things difficult. Flash is being phazed out by some of the major browsers, those on corporate or otherwise restricted machines may have it disabled due to security concerns (same with applets), it's slow, bulky, and some proxies don't allow flash and other applets altogether.

In regards to the removing of content from Batoto, I think if anything CR should request removal only for the volumes they've completed. If the volumes CR haven't done are removed, people will just go to sites that host and rip all available chapters and won't comply with DMCA's without a fight.

ernabc

ernabc

Potato

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationRomania

They let me read on a free trial of 14 days and after that 12 usd/ month .Professional translations ? I don't think so . More or less teens payed with a couple bucks. That means no more SKR for me... :(

Koro

Koro

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 22 posts

IIRC, the newest chapters are still free, they just "expire" after a while. You don't have to pay to read the latest, only if you want to read over older chapters.

So as long as you remain up to date, it's free. If you're new to the series, you need to pay.

Anyway, if you aren't a translator yourself, I really don't think it's fair to criticize CR's translators.

I don't know if they're good or not, let alone professionals, but unless you can read Japanese yourself it's not your place to say.

ernabc

ernabc

Potato

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationRomania

sorry,but I can and I consider it's ok . It depends of the way you're saying the words. I consider a lot of translators excellent guys who are doing a very good job for all of us . That's the good part all the time . The bad part is when a kid or another is thinking he is the ultimate translator  or , worse, when a third part who doesn't understand a lot is throwing hard words  . Weaver , I translate myself from English to Romanian . As You see I'm not very good at English but I don't need to be so good .I need to know very well MY LANGUAGE .A good translator A to B MUST have first excellent knowledge of B language and only medium knowledge of A language.If someone understands at the first glance 70 to 90% from A it is easy to translate in his natural language at the level of his knowledge. Let's say only that if you are stupid it doesn't matter for me if you understand well any kind of language.You need to have top knowledge at least at one language.If you translate for me in normal English or French or Romanian I'll be happy  and like it but I don't think we can say that the translations are perfect   About my words from my former post I wrote another thing ,that I think  the owners of Crunchroll are paying little bucks to their translators . Someone who accepts that kind of money to translate can't be a true translator and Crunchroll isn't professional . Of course that's my opinion.,nothing more.

Weaper

Weaper

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 242 posts

well, what to say aside that I approve of Crunchyroll's chapters and especially their translations.

You're saying yourself that you're not very good at english and so, if I understood right, you're bitching about something you don't even understand very well?

Something tells me that you have a problem with Crunchyroll itself and the quality of the translation (which is great, I repeat) is just an excuse.

And no, when translating from A to B, it's A the most important. Especially for language really different like english and japanese. There are proofreaders and quality checkers to fix the B language if there is any issue with grammar and syntax.

Edited by Weaper, 04 March 2014 - 08:12 PM.

Posted Image

Spoiler

ernabc

ernabc

Potato

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationRomania

Weaver . first try to understand me . I don't have any issues with Crunchyroll. It is their business , not mine . I DON'T care about them . They aren't professional, that's all . What I see is that You care too much about them . If you really want to know what I think : You lied to us (at least to me ) and I think you are connected to them in a way or another. 

About SKR , TY for your job ! For me it'll be history from now on like many other comics..

Interstice

Interstice

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts

well, what to say aside that I approve of Crunchyroll's chapters and especially their translations.

You're saying yourself that you're not very good at english and so, if I understood right, you're bitching about something you don't even understand very well?

Something tells me that you have a problem with Crunchyroll itself and the quality of the translation (which is great, I repeat) is just an excuse.

And no, when translating from A to B, it's A the most important. Especially for language really different like english and japanese. There are proofreaders and quality checkers to fix the B language if there is any issue with grammar and syntax.

Before you talk bad about him 

you have to consider that japanzai always stopped to scan series which are serialized in english 

and so is skr on crunchyroll

you should be happy that the artis will get money at least for his chapters because we will read them on CR

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

You know, I mainly mention this since I know Crunchyroll isn't available in all countries, but, I see that at least MangaHere appears to be unafraid of Crunchyroll and their licensing. They're apparently rehosting everything Crunchyroll is doing. I didn't look at every single title, but at least Sun-Ken Rock, Yamada and the Seven Witches and Boku wa Mari no Naka, on MangaHere have updated chapters right up to the Crunchyroll latest. So yeah, not too hard to figure out what's going on there.  :D

Tn7HA0h.png

Weaper

Weaper

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 242 posts

You know, I mainly mention this since I know Crunchyroll isn't available in all countries, but, I see that at least MangaHere appears to be unafraid of Crunchyroll and their licensing. They're apparently rehosting everything Crunchyroll is doing. I didn't look at every single title, but at least Sun-Ken Rock, Yamada and the Seven Witches and Boku wa Mari no Naka, on MangaHere have updated chapters right up to the Crunchyroll latest. So yeah, not too hard to figure out what's going on there.   :D

yeah, CR use a flash reader to make it harder to rip pages but what they don't get is that when you don't care about page quality, a single screenshot gets you the page...

They should worry about offering a good online reader before trying to make useless security mesures.

Thought knowing japanese's editors, it could be possible that they are the one pushing for the flash technology for online reading.

Posted Image

Spoiler

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

yeah, CR use a flash reader to make it harder to rip pages but what they don't get is that when you don't care about page quality, a single screenshot gets you the page...

They should worry about offering a good online reader before trying to make useless security mesures.

Thought knowing japanese's editors, it could be possible that they are the one pushing for the flash technology for online reading.

Is that what that style of reader is called? I didn't know, yeah, CR is using the exact reader the short lived JManga used........I hated that one too.  >_<

I have to admit, back when I had JManga I couldn't figure out how to make copies of the titles I'd bought..........that was before I learned about screenshots........of course I found out shortly after JManga went down that mangahere had rehosted all of that stuff  too.  :D

Tn7HA0h.png

Weaper

Weaper

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 242 posts

flash is the technology used in their online reader, it's not called like this per se

anyways, it sucks.

their mobile application is great however.

Posted Image

Spoiler

CB39

CB39

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts

Crunchyroll started from the same vein that watermarking manga sites did, screwing over fangroups for cash. I will never support crunchyroll.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Crunchyroll started from the same vein that watermarking manga sites did, screwing over fangroups for cash. I will never support crunchyroll.

I've gotta say, I think yours is a tough stance to justify. It's like saying Viz Media is "screwing over fangroups" by entering into legal contracts with the original publishers and and then legally reprinting their bought and paid for property and publishing/distributing them in the countries they've legally agreed to.  >_<

Yeah, that's just how business (the manga business included) is supposed to work......and as I understand it, that's exactly the position Crunchyroll stands in. A legal publisher, not a scanlator or an aggregate reader site of fan-translated works. 

Tn7HA0h.png

CB39

CB39

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts

I've gotta say, I think yours is a tough stance to justify. It's like saying Viz Media is "screwing over fangroups" by entering into legal contracts with the original publishers and and then legally reprinting their bought and paid for property and publishing/distributing them in the countries they've legally agreed to.  >_<

Yeah, that's just how business (the manga business included) is supposed to work......and as I understand it, that's exactly the position Crunchyroll stands in. A legal publisher, not a scanlator or an aggregate reader site of fan-translated works. 

When crunchyroll started, they had no licenses, and hosted fansubbed content falsely claimed as their own work and charged money for it. Most people that have been following the anime "scene" for a while remember their history, which is why they're so often hated. There's another part to it though.

I'll paraphrase it, but this guy here says it best

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=264087&show=20#msg9654453

They do poor quality work, weaken the industry and don't support the content creators. There are better ways to show support for a series. Importing the books or dvds, and buying secondary goods like figmas.

Viz never stole fangroup scripts and charged money for them.

Edited by CB39, 01 May 2014 - 09:14 AM.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

When crunchyroll started, they had no licenses, and hosted fansubbed content falsely claimed as their own work and charged money for it.

Yup, you're right, I used to watch my fair share of videos on their site back then too (well, I don't know anything about them charging for it, I never paid for anything at least).

Of course we all know that's not the case anymore though, and it's never been the case I don't believe as far as the manga portion of their business (like Sun-Ken Rock, the topic of this conversation).

But oh well, if you feel so strongly about it to  actually give up on something you want to read in order to boycott them...........well, that's your call.   :)

Edited by svines85, 01 May 2014 - 09:30 AM.

Tn7HA0h.png

Weaper

Weaper

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 242 posts

as far as reputation goes, CR drastically changed and even that comment is now 4 years old... lots of water passed under the bridge since then. But well without caring about past stuffs here's what is concerning Sun-Ken Rock:

– the quality is good, if not great. for both edit and translation.

– the releases are on time.

– the mangaka, Boichi, IS getting his share.

after, suits you to use or not their service. let's not just put down a new opportunity to get more SKR and support Boichi at once.

that's all for me.

Edited by Weaper, 02 May 2014 - 01:50 AM.

Posted Image

Spoiler