Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Please Help Me a with Pronunciation Problem?

to love-rufather rito name

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Aoi_Cho

Aoi_Cho

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • LocationOn top of a Mountain in the Wild West, exact location: No Where

Please help me with a way to say Rito's dad's name. It is spelled Saibai. I am wondering what "Sai" part would rhyme with and what the "Bai" part would rhyme with in English but also sound like the Japanese pronunciation. I hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance.

~ A.C.

I am looking for an avatar; & Aoi-Cho supposedly means -according to Google Translation- blue butterfly, so if you see a cool blue butterfly image please send it over to me.  With many Thanks.

IlikeLolis

IlikeLolis

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • LocationUnder your Skirt

Just to clarify I haven't read the manga but going by what of know of the Japanese language his name is either pronounced "SI" like sign or unlikely "SA" like insane.

Very likely his name would loosely rhyme with "Say Bye" in English.

kohakusan

kohakusan

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

It's Sai = Si from Sign and Bai as in Bye

It's not pronounced as Say.

IlikeLolis

IlikeLolis

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • LocationUnder your Skirt

It's still likely to be the only joke that works.

You have to understand the Japanese phonetics, and how the joke is lost.

It doesnt make much sense in direct translation because you hear it without the Japanese accent.

A Japanese man would see "Say" in english and Read it as "sai". To him, the correct way to pronounce "Say" in engrish would be "Sigh".

Or I could be reading for too into this and coming to the wrong conclusion, But "Sigh Bye" doesn't really make the joke in English so I'm working with my best guess.

Edited by IlikeLolis, 15 August 2014 - 01:10 PM.